The sequel needs...

#1HustleBonesPosted 1/5/2014 7:18:05 AM
...the grapple hook from Just Cause 2, balanced with larger monsters, limited use, and probably only close proximity use. Maybe it could be some sort of strider and assassin skill with a long casting time, but imagine if navigating the huge monsters was and experience as deep, varied and rewarding as the combat. The ability to climb monsters is one of the most exciting aspects of the game, but as you progress there is very little that changes that experience besides having loads of stamina, and the gloves of might (and the odd augment that I think provides more passive advantages).

If this were tied to the already very good (and mildly customisable) platforming in the game, imagine how exciting it could be to grapple to an enemies wrist, run along their arm, jump and grab a hold of their face and strike. The ability to run along monsters is something that could very well be impossible technically. The way your character slides off large monsters suggests this, but I'm sure a grapple could be implemented. With features like this, I would hope that would encourage much larger bosses, with potentially much wilder animations. If any development team could pull off this escalation of a concept surely it's the one that made this game.

Does anyone else given any thoughts to this part of the game, and perhaps how it could progress at higher levels?
#2FalthinPosted 1/5/2014 7:49:14 AM
I think if they could just fix the camera so you could see where you are going while clambering over monsters I would be happy. I got fed up so I just use ranged attacks now.
---
PSN Durzo54Blint - DA pawn: Catti-Brie (Strider),,, PSN V1r1d1ana - DA pawn: Snowflake (Sorceror),,,, PSN Azurite_Fire - DA pawn: Sorsha (Fighter)
#3HustleBones(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2014 8:21:11 AM
Yeah, having much tighter environments in BBI only made that worse, and the direction you climb in was never consistent. That becomes much less of a problem with you have the gloves of might on, and your climbing speed is fast enough to see quickly if you're heading in the wrong direction and correct it. Those gloves really are one of the best items in the game IMO and it made me really hope the next game features more options that improve climbing.
#4ragedemonzPosted 1/6/2014 2:37:27 AM
Heh what I'd rather have than a grappling hook is better AI for skills like springboard or maybe a mage/sorc "catapult". Those skills just don't see the light of day because the AI isn't competent enough to utilize it.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - TheCrazedLP PSN: Lowthingy
#5Tenryuu_N7Posted 1/6/2014 5:39:22 AM
Maybe because I've just started the game and enjoyed it immensely, the only thing I need from the sequel is for it to come out. In a way I feel bad that I was able to play the game for free on the PS + network. So if the sequel comes out, I will definitely be putting down an order.
---
PSN: Tenryuu_N7
Xbox Live: Tenryuu_N7
#6GixenPosted 1/6/2014 11:23:51 AM
Falthin posted...
I think if they could just fix the camera so you could see where you are going while clambering over monsters I would be happy.

This is the worst issue imo. Climbing a dragon and then the camera switch and you´re climbing the other direction (if you are able to notice it cause of the camera). Frustrating.
---
PSN: Gixen99 - pawn: Sol - lvl 160:ish sorcerer
PSN: Gixen_Almighty - pawn: Tanya - lvl 17 sorcerer
#7HazelrahFireflyPosted 1/7/2014 5:28:08 AM
HustleBones posted...
...the grapple hook from Just Cause 2, balanced with larger monsters, limited use, and probably only close proximity use. Maybe it could be some sort of strider and assassin skill with a long casting time, but imagine if navigating the huge monsters was and experience as deep, varied and rewarding as the combat. The ability to climb monsters is one of the most exciting aspects of the game, but as you progress there is very little that changes that experience besides having loads of stamina, and the gloves of might (and the odd augment that I think provides more passive advantages).

If this were tied to the already very good (and mildly customisable) platforming in the game, imagine how exciting it could be to grapple to an enemies wrist, run along their arm, jump and grab a hold of their face and strike. The ability to run along monsters is something that could very well be impossible technically. The way your character slides off large monsters suggests this, but I'm sure a grapple could be implemented. With features like this, I would hope that would encourage much larger bosses, with potentially much wilder animations. If any development team could pull off this escalation of a concept surely it's the one that made this game.

Does anyone else given any thoughts to this part of the game, and perhaps how it could progress at higher levels?

Please god no. The worst that can happen in any game is to have platforming on bosses. They aren't structures, they are living creatures. If Dogma 2 becomes like SotC I will certainly avoid it.
#8HustleBones(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2014 1:13:48 PM
It would have to be completely dynamic and work as the bosses do in game at the moment, rather than the slow moving, basically static series of ledges that they are in SotC, but it would be far more engaging in those sections if you could grasp a different part of the monster as it moves, rather than having to rely on that odd jump, landing somewhere vaguely higher and trying to time your grasp. That's what I mean by more refined platforming, even if that jump had more control to it, but some sort of short ranged grapple would make it much more fluid without that.

As for the springboard skills, whenever I've used them, a pawn would always immediately run up and take advantage of it. Whether that results in them getting onto a monster or not is really down to how difficult it is to make the primary judgement necessary, and the lack of in air control when those types of jumps are executed, see previous paragraph.
#9gamestop27Posted 1/7/2014 1:23:22 PM
What I'd like

- Rain, snow, and other types of weather(and the ability to control the weather post-game)

- When I'm in the middle of an attack animation, especially if I land a couple of hits, do not let stuff like the undead's grab out prioritize my attack as if I did nothing at all.

- A universal get the f*** out of my face move for every class.

- Ability to ride animals.
---
We are changing the name of our Sony Music Unlimited service just for PS4. It will be called Sony the Music you are Limited to.~Kaz Hirai
#10trailbreaker76Posted 1/7/2014 8:02:50 PM
The only real problem I had with the camera was while fighting the UR dragon.

Instead of weather, I would rather have 4 seasons and see change in the surroundings.

Sorcerer's, Mages and maybe another class able to lift and throw surrounding boulders, logs, etc...at enemies

Need axes. Not a single one in the game:(