Worth running through first game with Valdoan Armor?

#1ragedemonzPosted 1/5/2014 6:05:19 PM
Hey guys, getting back into the game and bought DA, and since I have the original DD I got the Valdoan armor set for my Arisen which isn't too shabby and makes it "easier" to work around gear. What I'm wondering is whether it's worth crafting up and using it for the first playthrough or two of the game so I don't sink money into other armors basically. I don't know how far this thing can take me over other combined pieces of gear.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - TheCrazedLP PSN: Lowthingy
#2duckdiddlerPosted 1/5/2014 6:27:43 PM(edited)
Sure, why not? It does only have elemental protection against lightning, and very few enemies use lightning, so that might be a negative. Equipping a ring with fire protect would be a good idea.

Also, outfits in general seem to be harder to Dragonforge, which is another thing that might slow down your progress, but if you like it, go for it.

You can always give it up half-way through if you feel like it.
---
PSN: DuckDiddler -- Pawn: Bobbie (F) - Strider
PSN: Duckler2 -- Pawn: Frost (M) - Fighter
#3ragedemonz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/6/2014 2:30:41 AM
Yea I'm level 34 and I guess I either need to recruit some high level pawns to take down the drake past the mines or just run through the game (That's a 100% dragonforge chance right?). I just like being able to save cash for loot worth the upgrade. ATM I have the Bronze Idol items available but I can't "see" the math of whatever gear I get versus the outfit (I am a tad lazy I guess to figure it out) so what I figured I'd do is get the higher stuff for my pawn and keep the outfit on me and swap out as needed.
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's a scavenger hunt.
LoL - TheCrazedLP PSN: Lowthingy
#4duckdiddlerPosted 1/6/2014 12:22:19 PM
Well, at level 34, you should be able to defeat the Drake in Devilfire Grove. That will DF your armor if you do it enough times by sleeping 7 days at the nearby rest-camp. You may get lucky and get it the first time, or it may never happen.

Yes, defeating Grigori will DF anything you are equipped with, whether 0 or 3 starred, but that is no reason to rush through the game. I say play the game organically, build your stats and earn your skills/augments, and have fun with it. The armor should see you through just fine. But if you want to spend a couple of hours slaying the Drake in the hopes of a DF, that's fine too, and you'll probably beef up some weapons in the process.
---
#5duckdiddlerPosted 1/6/2014 12:29:24 PM(edited)
Also, if the Drake is a problem for you, perhaps a couple of pawns a bit higher than you might help, but I would look more for pawns with Drake knowledge and ice spells in my selection process (they will know how to down it and strike at its heart with ice.)

I'll take your pawn for a run now and see it we can build some knowledge.
---
#6lordofthenlpplePosted 1/6/2014 11:04:41 PM
Armor isnt too much of a problem other than looks. But weapons are really important since you want to be able to end the fight before the day ends.
---
Liu Ye and Anais Martanehttp://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/p_c_ty/nancy06.jpg