Wow... truly Unique game: What happened?

#1ninakoruPosted 4/30/2014 7:19:05 AM
To me this game is unique. Not that is original, but it's definitively not a copy of any other game. It resembles me of many other games, but no one truly matches it.

Open World/Item detail up to weighted Items -> Elder Scrolls series.
Fast paced combat with spamable skills, more about dealing the most damage while avoiding taking it -> Diablo 2
Third Person active/action RPG: Demon Souls series.
Huge beasts witch you have can crawl and have to make some specific task to deal with them : Monster Hunter series.

Still an newbie into the game, level 32 and going to meet the Duke at the castle. I'm absolutely loving the game so far. It fits quite nicely on what I was looking for in an RPG game.

For what I gathered on many reviews, the original game had two main problems: having to backtrack a lot for quests, as it takes a while to get through some areas and you only can walk or run, and the pawns talking just too much. Both things are addressed on Dar Arisen, and seem they did some rebalancing, monster repopulation and adding more content with BBI.

I'm surprised this game didn't get so popular as Skyrim as example. It just deserves it even if it has much less content, it should have a golden position in the game rankings over the web and I feel the game is largely ignored, I guess the best sellers are the ones that get into the rankings. This game SHOULD be a HUGE reference (outside Japan..), don't know what's going on.

Anyone just feels the same? I am missing something?
---
I am the name for the dead beings - St. Eva
#2enjelsamaPosted 4/30/2014 11:37:38 AM
The game did well actually.

You can't really compare it to skyrim... ES series is like COD... people buy it regardless at this point.
Much like 1st ES games, DD will need time to build fanbase. =3
---
Mmmm Choco Cookies
Capcom Moderator: Yuffie
#3Obie79Posted 4/30/2014 11:45:30 AM
i feel its alot better then skyrim as well. oh well it will come up one day if they ever make a DD2
#4HazelrahFireflyPosted 5/1/2014 10:41:19 AM
To compare the combat to Diablo... is perhaps the most insulting thing I've read this year. Diablo is 'stand there, hit buttons,' and I refuse to even call it combat. I hate that series more than any other in gaming.

In my opinion, the game is closest to this comparison: DmC meets Dungeons & Dragons. That's a nod to the world and atmosphere of D&D, not one of the terrible videogames. That's also not a fair comparison as the combat is significantly better than any DmC, but it's the closest I can come up with.
#5gamestop27Posted 5/1/2014 1:04:43 PM
This game actually exceeded Capcom's expectations and was a success world wide.
---
PSN- Sratos0027
DD: DA Pawn: Hilda- Level 200 Sorcerer
#6ninakoru(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2014 10:09:04 PM
To compare the combat to Diablo... is perhaps the most insulting thing I've read this year. Diablo is 'stand there, hit buttons,' and I refuse to even call it combat. I hate that series more than any other in gaming.

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to insult you... The comparison is quite poor the more I think of it, I admit it.

Yeah, I read a lot about this game, seems it sold outstandingly good on Japan, and was unexpected by capcom, and they may do a franchise out of this game (didn't see any related notices still...).

And yes, seems the fanbase from previous games make a lot into selling games, I guess. What really bothers me are the rankings and every comparison made in a more global point of view. Seems there's little place for games that are not absolute best sellers. Skyrim is always there as an example but NOT this game: The game quality is top notch, mix some concepts successfully, and the game is fun as hell (if you like this kind of game of course) creating an incredible game.

Thanks for the responses guys.
---
I am the name for the dead beings - St. Eva
#7TSotPPosted 5/3/2014 11:30:11 AM
The only major flaw in this game is the storytelling (not the actual story, but the way it is presented)

It's the most fun I've had in a game since Dragon Age: Origins first came out.

I just wish this game was on pc and modable. I love me some mods lol
---
DD:DA
PSN's: TSotP [King Conan- lv145 Fight] / QuaziBeattie [Leliana- lv33 Rang] / ShadowOTPhoenix [Anders- lv58 Mage] / Shadow_Phoenix83 [Flemeth- lv45 Sorc]
#8the voidPosted 5/3/2014 12:48:59 PM
I really liked the story and how it was presented (the main story and lore, that is). The part that I thought was laughably bad was the romance sub-plots.
---
Nei - Level 200 Ranger - PSN: the_void__ | Spirit - Level 200 Strider - PSN: the_nil__
Ghost - Level 200 Sorcerer - PSN: the_null__
#9TSotPPosted 5/4/2014 8:56:29 AM
I really like the lore too. But I feel the story is badly told right up until that last confrontation with Eylison. Then it does pick up. And that conversation with Gregori before the final battle is hair-raisingly good.

But before that, no-one seems to pay any real attention to you being an Arisen. The duke and his knights look down on you. You are treated like an errand boy/girl.

But the romance is also terrible.
---
DD:DA
PSN's: TSotP [King Conan- lv145 Fight] / QuaziBeattie [Leliana- lv33 Rang] / ShadowOTPhoenix [Anders- lv58 Mage] / Shadow_Phoenix83 [Flemeth- lv45 Sorc]
#10enjelsamaPosted 5/4/2014 2:10:57 PM
Your a fisherman..(woman) The Last Arisen Duke was actully was a knight.
How could a simple fishermen be a Arisen. =p

Your just a no body who got picked. Few of guards have some nice comments. But otherwise.. just fishermen.

The Story is good, if you know of sub texts, and read up on back ground info from offcial site. Helps add some info. But ya... lot of stuff could have been fleshed out if they had time.
---
Mmmm Choco Cookies
Capcom Moderator: Yuffie