Dragon Age Origins in relation to this game/genre

#1mmmcheesedanishPosted 6/17/2014 5:48:05 AM
I REALLY wanted to love Dragon Age Origins since Bioware knows how to tell a good story but I simply can't adapt to the combat. I hate turn based RPGs ( I like combat similar to The Souls Series, Dragon's Dogma, Legend of Zelda, etc.) and this game is not turn based but is also not what I would consider action RPG. It's jerky at times and the combat simply puts me off. Some questions:

1. Dragon Age 2 seems to have made the combat much better but I didn't want to skip the first one, should I?

2. I know Kingdoms of Amalur will probably never see a sequel but for all we know neither will Dogma...should I give this a try?
#2sibakruomPosted 6/18/2014 6:28:25 AM
1. Dragon Age II may have changed the combat system (for better or worse, opinions vary), but it's still a lot closer to DA:O than to anything else you listed. The Dragon Age games are not action RPGs and never pretended to be.
As for the continuity, DA2 has a brand new main character with their own story. Events of the first game are mentioned in the background and there are a few cameos, but nothing in DA2 should be incomprehensible or incomplete if you didn't play DA:O.

2. No reason not to give it a try. The game is good and its story is finished.
#3drclaeysPosted 6/19/2014 7:15:41 AM
Friends,

IM not really sure of the question here. Or is it more of a comment.

1. DA:O is a great game because of the story. the dlc comes on one disk, and in its day, there was nothing like it. Combat is not its shining suite, but it gets the job done. I kinda liked it, because it was easier and more slow paced.

2. DA2 has better combat. faster, more action, people always behind, you and coming out of nowhere. The bad news, it was rushed and the game has alot of areas that are reused.

3. DD, seems to have more about combat. and the story is weaker. But still a fun game. Team based, and pawns is a big plus. something about pawns is just fun.

4. KOA is a single mc 99% of the time. I would link KOA to more of a skyrim clone, with lots more color, and the people look nice. Its great for one play, but on your second attempt, everything is the same, it gets boring fast. Still nice to look at.

Because I like rpgs, I have all 4 games and have played all 4 multiple times. Its not like you have 50+ games to choice from. these is about 4 of my set of 12+ that I have. If you are not playing these games, what are you going to play. Its not like anything else is coming out this week.

Play them all, every game has good points and bad points. Enjoy.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
I have been to Ukraine 3 times, My wife and daughter are from Ukraine. Republicans are SOMEHOW to blame.
#4Shadow286Posted 6/19/2014 5:30:49 PM
Honestly, I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins' combat much more than Dragon Age II's. I enjoyed it on the PC where the controls weren't cumbersome, and I enjoyed being able to plan and take each battle methodically, with as little loss as possible.

Having a rogue sneak around between enemy filled rooms and having my mages prepare traps and placing my tank in a corridor where he could block off enemies as my ranged units picked them off certainly does its job at making me feel like my victories are deserved,
Though, I can see how that kind of gameplay can get annoying and tiresome, especially without a mouse and keyboard.

2's story is very stand-alone, with the main character of the first game going missing. It plays much better on consoles, but I couldn't stand the game because of it's change in direction; that and I found it very shallow gameplay-wise, despite improvements made for consoles. It's story has a few highlights I'll give it that much. None of it really has anything to do with the first game, so there really isn't a reason to not skip the first.

I didn't enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur much either, though I've spent very little time with it. So take that for what you will.

Keep in mind I have a lot of reasons to dislike Dragon Age II, so I'm rather biased. It's not the worst thing I've every played, and you might appreciate II much more then someone like me.
---
PSN: ichiXban | Pawn: CrazyDiamond | Level: 200 | Mage | Dark Arisen
#5TSotPPosted 6/23/2014 9:04:46 AM
Dragon Age Origins is best on pc. If only for a couple of mods that improve the tactics system for followers. If you get everything correctly set up, you can actually sit back and monitor your character and followers a little like an RTS game.

The Plot of DA:O is where it really shines though. The Characters are really fleshed out and interesting (mostly). And the effort that was put into the lore is pretty outstanding considering it is the first game of the series.

KoA is also a good game, a bit more like Dragon's Dogma than Dragon Age. A little TOO colourful for my liking, but not too bad.
---
PSN: TSotP ~Pawn: Conan -lv170 Fighter, Scath/Pion | | | PSN: QuaziBeattie ~Pawn: Leliana -lv34 [Torpor] Ranger, Chall/Scath/Mit
http://i.imgur.com/ZwkInJu.png
#6SupermanvsGokuPosted 6/24/2014 11:10:13 PM
the characters and plot in DA:O are worth it

I liked the gameplay, but I understand some ppl not liking it
---
http://i.imgur.com/YMERebC.jpg http://i.imgur.com/CrU2HoL.jpg http://i.imgur.com/jVcS81Y.jpg
#7ZeroJinKuiPosted 7/12/2014 5:29:46 PM
dragon age origins was a major pain in the ass for me, but it was more because of the bugs and poor structure of the dialogue system and a few other design choices i kinda hated.

dragon age 2 is MUCH more fun and pleasant for me, i still dont know why it failed so badly compared to the first game... apparently people hate fun and prefer frustration.

kingdoms of amalur is goddamn incredible, atleast to me... i could play that game over and over again... im actually already working on a fifth character, which will be a jack-of-all-trades type.

sadly, yeah... because of curt schilling screwing everything up, KoA will never reach its full potential and become a franchise. :(

dragon's dogma, whether you consider it one or not, IS an action-RPG, thats just the genre it falls under, and its also an incredible game, i have played through it a few times already... the story is... interesting?

the thing about the story is, it doesnt seem to be the main focus, you could literally play through not paying attention at all, and it'll still make just as much sense as if you DID listen to the story, atleast in my opinion... though, that might be slight exaggeration, obviously SOME things will make more sense... but its still a bit odd.

the gameplay is where the main focus is, i think... and that is where the game shines.

basically, if you want a great, fleshed-out story with interesting and fun characters with incredible writing, dragon age origins has all of that... but if you want more fun and actually exciting gameplay that doesnt require you to treat the battlefield as a chessboard, then dragon's dogma is the better choice for that.

the characters seem to be more background objects than anything else, they're glanced over and not really fleshed out at all, i think... but again, going into the game and focusing on the gameplay is what will get you the most enjoyment out of dragon's dogma.

unfortunately, i highly doubt this game will reach its full potential and become a franchise, either... because capcom just screwed up too much... they made far too many grave mistakes and now they're paying for it, and they will likely be bought up soon.

course, if nintendo and sony both bought different parts of capcom up [if that is possible, i dunno how that whole thing works, honestly] then maybe their franchises will actually be put to use, because sony would likely have more dragon's dogma games made.

im hoping capcom gets bought by nintendo and sony, anyway... i dont think any other companies deserves to get their hands on the franchises capcom has.
---
"You think you can just come here and attack us?"
"You must be crazy, or just plain stupid!"-Meng Huo
#8FreauxPosted 7/15/2014 12:23:49 AM
sibakruom posted...
1. Dragon Age II may have changed the combat system (for better or worse, opinions vary), but it's still a lot closer to DA:O than to anything else you listed. The Dragon Age games are not action RPGs and never pretended to be.
As for the continuity, DA2 has a brand new main character with their own story. Events of the first game are mentioned in the background and there are a few cameos, but nothing in DA2 should be incomprehensible or incomplete if you didn't play DA:O.

2. No reason not to give it a try. The game is good and its story is finished.

Dragon Age 2 is the epitome of action rpgs.
Get it. It's fun , barely customizable, barely related to the first game, but the illusion of atmosphere is there and the visuals of the combat make it seem more fleshed out than it is.

What you should do is adapt to the first game, it's fantastic.
Play easy difficulty your first time through, it's not mind numbing easy either.
Amalur sucks. Stay away. It's a fetch quest, one long fetch quest.
#9Deathy5656Posted 7/17/2014 10:55:22 AM
ZeroJinKui posted...
apparently people hate fun and prefer frustration.

i love fun and hate frustration, that's why i think Dragon Age 2 is such horrible game because almost everything about it is frustrating.

Also, people need to stop calling Dragon Age Origin's combat turn-based. DAOs combat is not turn-based, get your facts straight. I also agree with people telling that DAO is much better played on PC.

And lastly, Dragon's Dogma is always worth a try because honestly in my opinion it's the best action RPG out on PS3 alongside the Souls series.
#10jce4444Posted 7/28/2014 11:59:32 PM
Ive only played the KOA demo so im not sure about it. DA2 had better (smoother i guess) combat than DA in my opinion but id rate DA higher overall as a game. I was just thinking earlier where DD: DA fits in. I like the ability to climb things. Hate the slow spell charging times. Not much of a story but AMAZING post game (if you throw bitterback in post game). Its sort of glitchy but not nearly as bad as Skyrim is/was. Id say id rank it JUST above DA. Barely. Cant go wrong with any of the games i mentioned though really. Hope that helps.