Good character to start out with?

#1DlaisPosted 1/11/2013 3:51:37 PM(edited)
I started playing like two weeks ago and decided to play Akuma. But practicing with him can be really frustrating since there's very little room for mistakes.

So I started thinking if I should pick a good allround character just to get the basics down and switch back to Akuma later when I feel a bit more confident.

Some characters I like are Cody, Makoto, Dudley, Yun and Honda. But most of the people I've talked to so far suggested Ryu. The only problem with that is the fact that I think that the shotos (Akuma aside) are kinda uninteresting.

So are there alternatives to Ryu (maybe one of the characters I listed?) or is he really the perfect beginner character?

Thanks in advance.

PS: Or should I just man up and stick with Akuma instead?
#2The_DARK_FoXPosted 1/11/2013 3:56:23 PM
Of the characters you chose? Go with Cody. Someone else? Try Cammy or Sagat.
---
I was once a scuba diver in a sea of words, now I zip along the surface like a guy on a jet ski. - Nicholas Carr
PSN: ChaosxPaladin
#3Patriarch105Posted 1/11/2013 5:07:16 PM
Akuma is one of the most difficult characters to master along with Gen. And unfortunitly most people who pick him just like to run away with fireballs.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#4datdudeMcCoyPosted 1/11/2013 5:28:43 PM
rule out honda if youre on pad
---
sf4-honda/p4a-aigis
WHO DEY!!!!!!!
#5bend6000Posted 1/11/2013 5:53:48 PM
I've been told that Ryu, Ken, Balrog, and Adon are the easiest characters to learn.
---
*Proud follower of Jesus Christ*
#6datdudeMcCoyPosted 1/11/2013 5:59:12 PM
ive been using adon for a week or so
he hits me as a good but 'easy to teach new players bad habits' character

first you shoud have a solid grip on spacing and techbait game, and execution at least good enough to nail 2-framers and IAJK
---
sf4-honda/p4a-aigis
WHO DEY!!!!!!!
#7Dlais(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 6:35:50 PM(edited)
datdudeMcCoy posted...
ive been using adon for a week or so
he hits me as a good but 'easy to teach new players bad habits' character

first you shoud have a solid grip on spacing and techbait game, and execution at least good enough to nail 2-framers and IAJK

Execution isn't my biggest problem I think, I didn't really have trouble pulling off Akumas BnBs. Of course I'm still dropping combos left and right but for what it's worth I think I'm doing decent. Where I'm really lacking is other stuff like spacing. I just don't really know how to get in sometimes or how to position myself properly. In other words: General behaviour during rounds.

Patriarch105 posted...
Akuma is one of the most difficult characters to master along with Gen. And unfortunitly most people who pick him just like to run away with fireballs.

That's what happens pretty much automatically as soon as you realize how fast akuma dies when you make a mistake and it is pretty much the reason why I thought about learning the basics with a character that's a bit more forgiving.

I'm still just not sure who I should use. I really don't like Ryu and Ken so if it's possible at all I'd really like to avoid them. Adon seems kinda weird to me too. Maybe I'll give Sagat and Cody a shot or does somebody else have another suggestion?

PS: Yes, I'm still on pad so Honda (and the other charge characters?) are out of the question I guess.
#8datdudeMcCoyPosted 1/11/2013 6:57:52 PM
i didnt like to use charge chars on pad but some ppl do it fine. the main reason is jab to fierce hhs

and i know exactly what you mean by problems with general behavior lol i had this game forever before i figured out what the hell i was doing.

im no pro but for spacing try simple things first like trying to stay at the right range for your go to anti air if your opponent is jump happy
---
sf4-honda/p4a-aigis
WHO DEY!!!!!!!
#9TriangleHardPosted 1/11/2013 9:41:59 PM
Start with Makoto.

In terms of button inputs, she is not difficult to use. However, she does great job teaching you the thought process involving in this game and her excellent pokes will get you used to the idea of poking.

Also her slow walking speed means you will rely more on dashes, which simplifies the game's movement which can be difficult to get used to. Also dashing properly is another thing you need to learn.

Add the mind games of high, low, and grabs Makoto presents, she will cover the basics well for new players.
#10BuffyCanSlayitPosted 1/12/2013 4:14:38 AM
TriangleHard posted...
Start with Makoto.

In terms of button inputs, she is not difficult to use. However, she does great job teaching you the thought process involving in this game and her excellent pokes will get you used to the idea of poking.

Also her slow walking speed means you will rely more on dashes, which simplifies the game's movement which can be difficult to get used to. Also dashing properly is another thing you need to learn.

Add the mind games of high, low, and grabs Makoto presents, she will cover the basics well for new players.

I would've thought Makoto would be a difficult character, for a newbie.
---
SF4AE: Dictator. Also Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour & Pokemon White 2.