IS this game any Good?

#11chibidwPosted 4/5/2012 7:06:13 AM
And it doesn't help that there are no Steam forums for it. I'm usually immediately distrustful of companies that do that. They aren't confident enough about their games to allow public discussion of them to see if it's a good buy? Why not, what's wrong with it? Possibility of troll presence is not a good enough excuse.
#12Anarki84Posted 4/5/2012 8:02:42 AM

Seems to be Baldur's Gate-like. Not sure how good it is though, but here's a gameplay video so judge yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RBTrU1nnLvk#!

#13FlailsnailPosted 4/5/2012 11:14:42 AM
chibidw posted...
And it doesn't help that there are no Steam forums for it. I'm usually immediately distrustful of companies that do that. They aren't confident enough about their games to allow public discussion of them to see if it's a good buy? Why not, what's wrong with it? Possibility of troll presence is not a good enough excuse.

You realize, presumably, that the game has dedicated forums on the official site. Simply because a company chooses not to pay Valve the fee to open a forum section via Steam does not a bad game make.

Having said that, this is a budget game based on a tabletop mini's game. Right from the start that means the reviews are going to come in low due to not knowing why the game mechanics work the wa they do, which is not how one would expect an RTS to play.

The game is by no means bad. It's just not a blockbuster RTS title. It's far more likely to end up being a niche, dedicated fanbase kind of deal.
#14noz3r0Posted 4/5/2012 11:16:24 AM
It definitely lacks in the graphics/sound/voice acting department but the gameplay is fun and I enjoy it. I'm writing a guide if anyone cares to use it later.
---
Contributor name: noz3r0
Currently writing a guide for: Risen, Risen 2, Confrontation
#15Rabid_MexicanPosted 4/5/2012 12:12:09 PM(edited)
chibidw posted...

Having said that, this is a budget game

At Ģ29.99 it is FAR from being "budget"
---
Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.33Ghz, 4GB DDR2, GeForce GT120
#16EsperValkyriePosted 4/6/2012 8:20:34 AM
bought it last night, and its pretty decent albeit a bit cryptic in the explanation of the interface. the tutorial is almost non existent in the first mission, but aside from that its amusing. it also has a decent art style which seems to straddle some line between western and eastern rpgs. my biggest gripe about it so far is the camera control, as you cannot rotate your field of view 360 degrees but merely zoom and scroll. its too early to pass judgement yet as i am only in the second mission but it feels like some sort of slower diablo and starcraft hybrid. if you want a decent comparison to another game like it, under siege on PS3 pretty fits the same mold.
---
Currently Playing: Vanguard Bandits (PSN); Radiant Silvergun (XBLA)
#17chibidwPosted 4/6/2012 4:47:16 PM
You realize, presumably, that the game has dedicated forums on the official site. Simply because a company chooses not to pay Valve the fee to open a forum section via Steam does not a bad game make.

Having said that, this is a budget game based on a tabletop mini's game. Right from the start that means the reviews are going to come in low due to not knowing why the game mechanics work the wa they do, which is not how one would expect an RTS to play.

The game is by no means bad. It's just not a blockbuster RTS title. It's far more likely to end up being a niche, dedicated fanbase kind of deal.

1. $39.99 US is not "budget".
2. If they have official forums, Steam provides developers the option of setting the "Visit the Forums" button to link directly to their own forums rather than a Steam default.

That said, I still prefer to read the Steam forums for a game because it's not as easy for a developer to cherry pick out critical opinions of a game so that the only thing you see going in are posts about how awesome the game is. It gives a much more varied view of what people think about the game rather than dealing with Metacritic.
#18Evoli_133Posted 4/7/2012 7:32:34 AM
@EsperValkyrie

You can rotate your field of view by pressing the mouse wheel and then moving the mouse ;)
And i thought the first mission describes a lot - maybe itīs different in the German version that I play. There are many text windows which tell the player how to move the characters, control the camera, change the position of heros in the party and so on.

I did not know the tabletop and also did not hear anything about Confrontation before I got a review code for it a few days ago. The marketing does not seem to be very good...