Odin vs. Guan Yu

#1strycubusPosted 3/19/2013 6:41:01 AM
Both offer similar tank/brusier/CC/support. Who do you feel is better in feel and power?
---
You can't miss something you never had.
#2steker16Posted 3/19/2013 11:09:27 AM
They aren't similar at all. Odin has higher killing potential be it with a damage build or just setting it up for a team mate with his ultimate. Guan is infinitely better support with his heal and aoe silence + stun ult
#3Dante200XPosted 3/19/2013 6:41:34 PM
Yeah, they are not very similar.
Guan is definitely not much of a bruiser at all. Odin is, however. He offers only half decent CC in the form of his slow, but at the same time, more people are afraid of him generally...mostly because of his ult really. Getting stuck in that with no escape just gives people free range to own you with AoE spells (while odin beats you up)

I personally don't even bother much with guan yu. His heal is annoying in lane and his ult is always a danger, but other than that, nothing really.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#4steker16Posted 3/19/2013 8:05:20 PM
Yeah, they are not very similar.
Guan is definitely not much of a bruiser at all. Odin is, however. He offers only half decent CC in the form of his slow, but at the same time, more people are afraid of him generally...mostly because of his ult really. Getting stuck in that with no escape just gives people free range to own you with AoE spells (while odin beats you up)

I personally don't even bother much with guan yu. His heal is annoying in lane and his ult is always a danger, but other than that, nothing really.

i play herc like 90% of the time recently, and when it comes to facing one of those 2 god in lane im usually more annoyed at going against a guan just because his ult has a crazy low cooldown, plus any guan worth anything builds a chestplate of valor pretty early, making the cooldown insanely short, combined with the 180sec cooldown of beads/aegis you will get caught in it often and depending on his lane partner it could be very bad. i follow a simple rule in every game now, if the enemy team has a guan or an ares, i start the game with both beads and aegis right away(level 1 boots, both abilities, 6 pots), not even gonna give them the chance for that "hit level 5 and instantly initiate with the ult" strat that so many people try to pull off

but when im in lane against odin its completely different, sure he does more damage but i love it when he ults, even if its only my lane partner getting stuck in it, throw herc's boulder(boulder of justice, as i like to call it) inside the ring and let it bounce around, guaranteed 2 hits on any enemy inside, tons of damage and will make them rethink doing it again. the amount of times i've turned the pace of a fight into my favor and came out with a double kill is nuts
#5strycubus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 6:18:32 AM
I suppose everything said here is true, I just seem to get more assists and less kills with Guan Yu, which makes sense, but I find his playstyle to be more aggressive in feel. Is there a build that can turn Guan Yu into a killer?
---
You can't miss something you never had.
#6bladeofomegaPosted 3/21/2013 10:25:28 AM
strycubus posted...
I suppose everything said here is true, I just seem to get more assists and less kills with Guan Yu, which makes sense, but I find his playstyle to be more aggressive in feel. Is there a build that can turn Guan Yu into a killer?

From what I've seen, not really. Guan Yu is meant to be heavy support. Spamming his Taolu Assault(3) or hitting it right after his ultimate is the only real damage output you'll see on him, since his abilities scale with magic power. He may seem to be more aggressive, but Odin has the ability to put out heavy damage with his autoattack, and the buffs from his ultimate make it almost easy to get a few kills.

The only thing you could do for damage is to build tanky magic items, like Wall of Absolution and possibly Void Stone.