Character job / class / skill setup?

#1CallmewoofPosted 11/8/2012 7:31:57 AM
I'm still on the fence about getting this game, and the lack if info is slowing down my buying choice. I read the article from siliconera today and from other sources that your characters can swap around job classes, unlock other job classes, stuff like that.

But, I was wondering: when you pick a job class, are you locked into that job class for all it's skills/etc? Is it like final fantasy tactics where you can be a knight, with white magic secondary, a reaction skill from monk, a support skill from archer, and a move skill from time mage? Or if I make my character a high wizard or champion, they are stuck with ONLY those skills and have zero access to anything else even if they level 99'd every other job? I guess I'm asking how much character customization is their when it comes to classes/skills? Thanks!
#2guimond777Posted 11/8/2012 9:47:45 AM
I actually want to know this too. I got the game on Tuesday and haven't changed classes around yet. I got 4 skills with an Archer and haven't tried switching his job to see if those skills stay or not yet.

Anyone know?
#3holyknight14Posted 11/8/2012 11:00:33 AM
The answer is no. Switching jobs removes all abilities you had from the previous job. Of course your job level progress is saved in case you switch back.
#4Alfieri xPosted 11/8/2012 11:06:51 AM(edited)
Do you have enough job points to cover every skill or do you have to think this very carefully?
---
"I call upon thee in the land of the dead, to unleash thy fury of thunder.... Indignation!!!" - Genis Sage
#5SkriblZzPosted 11/8/2012 11:38:42 AM
holyknight14 posted...
The answer is no. Switching jobs removes all abilities you had from the previous job. Of course your job level progress is saved in case you switch back.

This is kind of disappointing.

The whole fun with FFT was to unlock each job, and have a Teleporting Dragoon that uses a sword to Drive into a nave's head by jumping 5 miles in the air and then reviving the poor sod to do it all over again.
---
PSN: Skribz666
#6guimond777Posted 11/8/2012 11:51:34 AM
holyknight14 posted...

That makes the whole "job switching" thing a little pointless, IMO. Why waste my time making my main character have multiple jobs if there is no cross-over? It's almost like your better off just creating a new mercenary with whatever job you want and leveling that merc. up.
#7SkriblZzPosted 11/8/2012 11:55:17 AM
guimond777 posted...
holyknight14 posted...

That makes the whole "job switching" thing a little pointless, IMO. Why waste my time making my main character have multiple jobs if there is no cross-over? It's almost like your better off just creating a new mercenary with whatever job you want and leveling that merc. up.

Agreed.

I just don't feel too much of a reason to switch if I come across a class that decimates anything in its path.
---
PSN: Skribz666
#8holyknight14Posted 11/8/2012 1:01:52 PM
Alfieri x posted...
Do you have enough job points to cover every skill or do you have to think this very carefully?

Each skill has 5 levels and you get 1 point every 3 job levels. So, you should be saving them up for the good skills if you want to be efficient. Personally, I would just spend 1 or 2 points in an early skill or two that you find useful. It'll help a lot in actually getting to the good ones.

I don't think you ever get enough points to max out each skill even at job level 99 (which you won't get to unless you just love grinding).

SkriblZz posted...
This is kind of disappointing.

The whole fun with FFT was to unlock each job, and have a Teleporting Dragoon that uses a sword to Drive into a nave's head by jumping 5 miles in the air and then reviving the poor sod to do it all over again.

Probably for the sake of balancing. Then again, there's always other ways to exploit a game, so it's moot to me.

guimond777 posted...

Yeah, I dunno. This system makes sense for the main character since you can't delete him. However, it's easier to just create new generics seeing as how quick it is to catch up in job levels.
#9DestructersPosted 11/8/2012 4:47:39 PM
Personally I like it this way since the unique character is unique and that prevent generic character from being too strong.

I also don't have to level every jobs there is.

If somehow all characters able to switch jobs, then I want it the same as FFT, but since it this way I like it.
#10filanimetorPosted 11/8/2012 5:23:20 PM
System > Help > Overdrive 3/3

Sadly...I just started the game to see/use this yet...
---
Video games ruined my life.
Good thing I have two extra lives. XD