Importance of Starting Stats

#1coldsushiPosted 11/24/2012 1:03:51 AM
I'm going to restart and start a new save. Why? I just realized the starting stats aren't readjusted when a character changes jobs; and that goes for the main character as well. Whatever job a character starts off as, that job will shape the starting attributes for that character, even if he switches to a different job.

Why is this important? Let's say Bob joins the party as a High Wizard, but then immediately switches to Assassin. Joe joins the party as an Assassin from the very beginning. Even if both Bob and Joe level up as an Assassin for the rest of the game and distribute their stats identically, Joe will *always* be stronger, faster, and sturdier than Bob because he doesn't have useless magic stats weighing him down.

The game allows for great customization thanks to job changing, but if you *really* wanted your team to be as stat efficient as possible, you would keep that character's end-game job in mind when choosing their starting job. Or, at the very least, know whether that character will be a physical attacker or magic attacker.

Though, some would argue that SPD is the most important attribute in the game, I know I certainly agree. With that said, I personally would recommend that *all* characters start off as a Sniper or Dancer. They're both tied for having the highest base SPD stat (24) and they're equal in their base stat total of AGI + DEX (22). The only exception is the main character, the main character gains a bonus of +1 Agi and +1 Dex as a Sniper, but only +1 Agi as a Dancer, so I would choose Sniper for the main character's starting job.

If you want a stat breakdown, I would highly recommend you take a look at this page, which can easily be translated via GoogleTranslate:

http://wikiwiki.jp/raguhika/?%BF%A6%B6%C8

Hope this helps!
#2MoliviousPosted 11/24/2012 1:48:15 AM(edited)
Nice read, also was wondering myself which job had the "best"/"ideal" starting stats. Been starting off all of my units from the Assassins/Shamans due to that good starting +12str/+10agi/+9Dex mix (assassin) and +12Int/+10dex/+6Luk mix (HW) >_<

after reading this, dancers do seem a lot better for females in the case of str/agi/dex distribution... 10:9:14

kafras also seem decent for hybrids after checking further >_< +10 str/+8 agi/+8 int/+13 dex/ +6 luk

but, imo. 2 or 3 agi difference isn't much. tbh, it won't matter that much late-game (you guys who reached floor 24 of mirage tower probably know what i mean). However, the additional str, dex, or int is totally worth each point... for more damage output on most skills. Might be a good time to start a discussion and get others' opinion about the matter. What do you guys think?
---
"You could easily teach yourself if you observe the world closely." - Elise
yummy? http://puu.sh/1tozJ http://puu.sh/1toA5 ...still yummy?
#3holyknight14Posted 11/24/2012 5:48:38 AM
Important for the first playthrough, irrelevant after level 20-25.
#4ladapop6Posted 11/24/2012 8:11:33 AM(edited)
(edit)
just re-read the post, its only starting stats not stat growth. nevermind!
#5OgoginPosted 11/24/2012 1:31:27 PM
Molivious posted...
What do you guys think?

That is hardly a difference at the end of the build. Base Stats cap at 99, that you reach a full build 99/99/99 at level 97 instead of level 99 change little to nothing.
Since every class start with many points in their right stats (you do not create a Lord Knight if you want a level 99 Sniper...) it isn't necessary to worry what you start with: the result will be the same, you just reach a mid-build requirement 2-3 levels faster.

Yet it is somewhat helpful if you are going for a hybrid build, since you have a total of 328 stat points (job excluded) at level 99 and you may want 316-318 points in the right stats (example: build str 99, agi 99, dex 60, vit 60, possible starting as a Dancer, impossible starting as a High Wizard).

This aside, is the link wrong or the Main character's Clown start with 55 base stat points instead of 52? In that case, no matter what, Clown is the best option for a starting Hero, since the 3 extra points are permanent.
---
sorry for bad English, it isn't my first language >.<
#6MoliviousPosted 11/25/2012 3:11:52 AM
Ogogin posted...
Yet it is somewhat helpful if you are going for a hybrid build, since you have a total of 328 stat points (job excluded) at level 99 and you may want 316-318 points in the right stats (example: build str 99, agi 99, dex 60, vit 60, possible starting as a Dancer, impossible starting as a High Wizard).

Exactly what I mean. For mages, you are actually *forced* to go hybrid if you'd wanna keep up with the "max agi/str/dex" builds. Let's think about it, mages will have to choose between AGI (to keep up with the melee units' speed) or Int (to keep up with the melee/ranged units' damage) but with selection of the proper class, you can narrow the gap, even by a thread closer.

For Champions, let's say you want more damage for Heaven's Roar, won't int be considered a good investment, compared to something such as additional vit or str?

I've gone as far as having an extra 10 or so points after maxing 3 stats... and those 10 points surely made a difference.
---
"You could easily teach yourself if you observe the world closely." - Elise
yummy? http://puu.sh/1tozJ http://puu.sh/1toA5 ...still yummy?
#7filanimetorPosted 11/25/2012 3:25:43 AM
But now, this isn't enough to convince me to restart my playthrough with my lvl 99 H Wiz MC and more than 60hrs spent...

This is nice to keep in mind though for future generics creations...
---
Video games ruined my life.
Good thing I have two extra lives. XD