How essential is Revelations' story to the AC series?

#1m00hawkPosted 11/18/2011 1:27:58 AM
I view AC1 and AC2 as absolute essentials, plot-wise, and Brotherhood as more of an optional game if you are looking for just the story. How does Revelations compare?
#2UninvitedPosted 11/18/2011 2:14:31 AM
I'd say it's pretty optional too - most notable for closing off Altair and (to a lesser extent) Ezio's stories. It indicates where the next game will be set though and provides more backstory of the first civilisation at the very end of the game but in all honesty, you can see all that on youtube rather than buying the game.

To be honest, I bought it for the story and ended up staying for the multiplayer which I didn't expect at all.
---
PSN: misthepig
youtube.com/uninvited1
#3HyperProtomanXPosted 11/18/2011 2:28:59 AM
You considered Brotherhood optional? I don't know what to say to that if you think the cliffhanger ending for Desmond, their findings and Desmond's development optional...

That being said, I guess you could call this one much more optional. Endings for Altair and Ezio, the beginning and the end of the game for Desmond.
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#4UnrealLegendPosted 11/18/2011 3:02:33 AM

Demond's story had little progression, so I suppose it could be considered so.

#5ItachiLightningPosted 11/18/2011 3:22:12 AM
*SPOILERS*

So um...why did he kill Lucy? Maybe I'm just slow because it's 3:30AM and I just played through the entire game...but I don't quite understand what happened there.
---
SS FC: 3009-0574-3802 Black FC: 3224-5024-6673
GT: Death Runz Xbl, Death izZ Back
#6frerichPosted 11/18/2011 4:00:52 AM

ItachiLightning posted...
*SPOILERS*

So um...why did he kill Lucy? Maybe I'm just slow because it's 3:30AM and I just played through the entire game...but I don't quite understand what happened there.
---
SS FC: 3009-0574-3802 Black FC: 3224-5024-6673
GT: Death Runz Xbl, Death izZ Back

Did you play Brotherhood? If not go play it. If so however, Juno was able to manipulate Desmond after he had grabbed the POE and for some reason wanted Lucy dead.

#7James MasonPosted 11/18/2011 4:54:21 AM
It's a pretty pointless game overall. It borders on being useless.

I can't believe they call the game "Revelations"...

What do we learn ? Pretty much nothing.

SPOILERS

For a game supposed to tie many loose ends, we get pretty much nothing new.

For Altair, we see him fail for like 60 years at reclaiming Maysaf and the leadership of the Asassins, only to create seals recording his failure and hide yet another apple in the most obivious place templars would think of looking, the Maysaf HQ.

For Ezio, asides from getting a Girlfriend and retiring, he hunts for keys and find an apple he doesn't want to use anyway...

For Desmond, he falls into a coma and only to wake up from the coma having slightly more details about the first civilisation... Oh and William is Darth Vader... WOOT.

A little frustrating overall. Ezio goes in a big circle, reclaiming a big city for the 3rd time and doing a gigantic fetch quest for nothing. Desmond Already Had the apple ,he already had the sixth sense, so his whole plotline is useless. Altair is pretty much the only one getting some developlment, due to his old self being unable to access with the animus due tu him having his children early... But the flashbacks, while important overall to Altair's overall story, don't really add much to the character, In fact , it kinda weakens it imho... That and there's a book that already covers those events and more better than the game does...
---
The wind carried screams from the west. I could not help but smile - Kain PSN/MGO ID : Stealth_Cobra | MGO Character : Stealth_Viper
#8chaostdkPosted 11/18/2011 5:28:26 AM
these "optional" games arent all that optional at all. if you just go from ac1, to ac2, to eventually ac3. you'd be left rather puzzled at just where lucy went and how you went from trying to find the temples to **spoiler** being at the central temple already. in the event that it's covered in the opening parts of ac3 (something that ubi has been good at doing with each sequel to the franchise), the uninformed player will go "well why didnt they let us play through those scenes" even though its already covered in said "optional" games.
#9HyperProtomanXPosted 11/18/2011 5:36:49 AM
chaostdk posted...
these "optional" games arent all that optional at all. if you just go from ac1, to ac2, to eventually ac3. you'd be left rather puzzled at just where lucy went and how you went from trying to find the temples to **spoiler** being at the central temple already. in the event that it's covered in the opening parts of ac3 (something that ubi has been good at doing with each sequel to the franchise), the uninformed player will go "well why didnt they let us play through those scenes" even though its already covered in said "optional" games.

This.

It's like some people consider games in Kingdom Hearts series that aren't numbered to be skippable. Have fun trying to keep up with the plot. It's not like in, say, God of War, where you can skip Chains of Olympos and Ghost of Sparta, or Metal Gear Solid, were most non-numbered games are spin-offs.

You can skip the portable games sure, but skipping this or Brotherhood would be rather stupid. Besides, they're good games, even if Revelations is somewhat a step back.
---
Not changing this sig before cows fly!
#10SivyoPosted 11/18/2011 5:46:47 AM

I have to say, I am dissapointed after reading these reviews I haven't bought it yet, but from what I can tell from here, I don't think I will be buying it.   I will barrow it or something from someone.  I was really geared up for this game, but it saddens me to hear this.  The game is so expensive for something that receives bad reviews... thats depressing