Please check here before posting...

#1rhb263Posted 12/27/2011 10:36:32 PMmessage detail
The point of this is, as on many other boards, to answer a range of questions frequently asked on here in a new topic. I’d like to give fair warning that while I will keep this as spoiler free as possible, it will contain some spoilers for both the storyline & gameplay and this is the only time I will be specifically marking my following posts with a spoilers warning. Read on at your own risk if you want to avoid any spoilers for these games. I’m also not going to be covering basic gameplay mechanics – if you want to know how come your Romanies won’t distract guards, there are numerous other places you can find out. All of this information comes from my own experience & research, coupled with the regular AC:R board contributors – too many to list by name, but thanks to you all.

Here’s a listing of what’s to come – you can use your browsers find function to locate a particular section if you don’t want to just read through it all.

1 - STORYLINE & COMPARISONS
1.1 Where someone new to the series should start playing/Which previous games do you need to play for purpose of the storyline?
1.2 How does this game compare to X/Y/Z other game in the series?
1.3 Are the handheld releases/spin off games necessary for storyline?
1.4 Are the Lineage/Embers movies worth it/necessary for the storyline?
1.5 So, I’ve played AC before – what’s really new to AC:R gameplay?

2. ASSASSIN RECRUITS
2.! The Little Prince
2.1 Recruiting
2.2 Achieving the “Recruit 12/12 assassins” Assassins Guild challenge
2.3 Level Caps and Levelling Your Recruits
2.4 Master Assassins
2.4 The Mediterranean Defence mini-game
2.5 City Use In MD
2.6 Posting Recruits In Cities & Recalling/Swapping Assassins
2.7 Killing Recruits

3. OUTFITS
3.1 What outfits are available & how do you get them?
3.2 Equipping an outfit
3.3 Difference between Outfits & Equipment

4. STORYLINE GAMEPLAY
4.1 Den captains & how to kill them
4.2 Notoriety
4.3 Den defence
4.3A Is it necessary?
4.3B The requirements for a “perfect” DD
4.4 How do I make chests/fragments show on the map

5. DESMONDS MEMORIES
5.1 How to unlock them
5.2 How to play them

6. BUNDLING
6.1 What content do I get with X/Y/Z edition of the game?
6.2 Do I get AC1 if I buy this?
6.3 Does the bundled AC1 have trophies now?

7.ONLINE
6.1 Uplay passport
6.2 Do you have to play MP?

8. MISC
8.1 AC3
8.2 Lucy Stillman
8.3 The extra gates on Animus Island
---
MH IGN: Xandria - EU servers: Most other games, some form of "Kael": If you know me, hey. If not, meh
#2rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:40:45 PMmessage detail
Once again – THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS – You have been warned.

Please do not post until I am done. Thank you.

1 - STORYLINE & COMPARISONS
1.1Where someone new to the series should start playing/Which previous games do you need to play for purpose of the storyline?

The simplest answer here is this: A new tv series you’re interested in watching starts. Would you wait until season two or three to start watching it, or would you watch season one first?
To expand on that - there are a lot of people who found the original game to be tedious and repetitive. However if you can push through the tedium, it will really set you up for the rest of the series, introduce you to many basic concepts that are maintained throughout the series so far and give you a much fuller picture of the characters and start of the storyline. This is a complicated answer, because it’s really up to you. Do you want to experience the entire thing yourself? Or do you want to just jump on the bandwagon when the gameplay gets a bit more shiny and only know what you must know for things to make some sense?

1.2How does this game compare to X/Y/Z other game in the series?
Mixed opinions. I personally think that this did fine for a game that wasn’t originally intended as a console release. I also think people were probably expecting too many advancements from the previous games – possibly a fair expectation given how the series had been making leaps from game to game until now. While I know I’m not the only one who thought it did very well, there are others who feel like it was a big letdown – rushed out, with not enough new features added and a few things from previous games that were liked got changed or removed entirely.
The general consensus seems to be that the story of AC:R is shorter, and in fact playtime for side missions, etc would also be shorter than in AC:B – however it should be noted that AC:B was always planned as a console release (as far as I know) and that AC:R currently has no single-player DLC.

1.3 Are the handhelds necessary for storyline?
Not really. It comes down to how much of the personal lives of the characters you want to know, and how curious you are about periods & events between the console releases. For example, are you happy enough just to know that Altair had a wife & eventually at least one child? Or do you want to know who she is, how they met, etc?

1.4 Are the Lineage/Embers movies worth it/necessary for the storyline?
See above – this is a personal choice, based on how deep into the AC mythos you want to get. Personally, they were definitely worth it. They were not necessary though. Another point to make here is that you can read what happened in the time periods on the AC Wiki pages if you don’t want to play/watch the other media personally.
---
MH IGN: Xandria - EU servers: Most other games, some form of "Kael": If you know me, hey. If not, meh
#3rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:41:06 PMmessage detail
1.5 So, I’ve played AC before – what’s <u>really</u> new to AC:R gameplay?
The Hookblade – Speeds up your navigation by increasing climbing speed and giving you a better ability to grab ledges when jumping; also provides more combat animations and allows you to escape guards in different and arguably more fluid ways.

Ziplines – These (arguably) speed up navigation as well. In combination with the hookblade, these form flying-foxes around the city.

Bomb crafting—Not only can you purchase bombs, you can now craft your own. There are a variety of bomb shells (defining the way the bomb is thrown/planted and/or detonated), gunpowders (defining the radius of the bomb) and effects (defining... the effect... duh).

Desmond memories – Desmond’s past is expanded upon, providing more of his backstory.

Altair memories – somehow (as spoiler free as possible, remember...) Ezio is able to witness certain events from Altair’s life that have not been previously revealed in the games.

Stalkers – Templars sent to hunt & kill you. Think of these as homicidal plain-clothed detectives. They look like civilians, but can (and will try to) kill you.

Side missions – These, as we knew them, have been eliminated. They’ve been broken up and redistributed into different categories. They’re also significantly reduced in number, and unlike other games (ACII & AC:B in particular) seem to have little, if any, relevance to the main storyline. Some of the more pointless/random/obscure ones have also been replaced by “live action events” that occur throughout the city. So they’re no longer necessarily in a fixed position. For example, while walking near a dock a merchant MIGHT ask you to carry his cargo to the ship – he also might not.

Den capture & defence – a minigame, vaguely similar to the Borgia towers from AC:B. Once these are taken by the player, and notoriety reaches maximum, the dens can fall under attack by Templars and even be re-captured. The Den Defence (DD) part of this plays out like an RTS segment. See Storyline Gamplay (below) for more information.

The ability to equip (and use) both a melee & ranged weapon at one time – God knows why this wasn’t included beforehand, but you can now throw a knife (or bomb, or shoot your gun) without having to completely change your weapon type first. Note that you still need to sheath to shoot (Ezio needs both hands for that after all) but that you can immediately pull your sword again.

Assassin recruiting given more depth – Your assassin recruits essentially function as they used to, however they now have (slightly) more personality; they can also level beyond rank 10 (up to 15) which requires you assist them on a two part quest to “further their training”, which occurs at the request of the recruit when at the appropriate level; assassins can now also be customised to use certain weapon types (i.e, hidden blade, hammer, etc), Which brings me to...
---
#4rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:42:38 PMmessage detail
2. ASSASSIN RECRUITS
2.! The Little Prince
I’ve put this up here first, as I’ve seen it at least a dozen times since release. The first assassin recruit you acquire, via the storyline, will also be the first one sent on a mission through Mediterranean Defence (MD). This first MD mission is called “The Little Prince”.

THIS ASSASSIN WILL NOT RETURN FROM THE MISSION UNTIL YOU HAVE ADVANCED THE STORY.

This mission is tied to the storyline, and the Assassin sent will not return, no matter how long you wait, until near the end of Memory Sequence 3.

2.1 Recruiting
Recruiting functions pretty much how it always did. The only real differences here are that they put slightly more thought into the scripting for saving a random citizen as a recruit, and; that there are several recruits that are picked up in unique ways. For example, one of them is rescued from imprisonment after stealing some food for his starving family. As before, the more Dens under your control, the more assassins you can recruit, up to a max of 12. Sorta. See the posting Assassins section below...

2.2 Achieving the “Recruit 12/12 assassins” Assassins Guild challenge
Many people seem to get stuck on this one. The simplest answer is that by the time most people have 12/12, they’ve only recruited 11. You are essentially “given” your first one, and it doesn’t count. Kinda lame, yes.

2.3 Level Caps and Levelling Your Recruits
I personally have found that the best way to level up recruits is to send the noobs on missions they couldn’t handle alone with an experienced assassin to back them up. I have heard, very recently, that even with 100% success predicted there is still a chance that the mission could fail, and additionally that the recruit may die. This has never happened to me, however I thought I should mention it. Also, Master’s cannot be killed – they just become “injured” and unavailable for 20 minutes.

Level caps are:
10 for “regular” assassins
15 for “master” assassins

2.4 Master Assassins
Your Master’s are Assassins that have undergone further training, under the watchful eye of Ezio. Once an Assassin reaches level 10, they can be “assigned” to a Den you control. Assigning an Assassin to a Den triggers Part One of a two-part mission. Once completed, Part One will enable your recruits to continue gaining ranks until they reach level14 with max experience. At this point, your Assassin’s Part Two mission is triggered, the completion of which will result in the Assassin becoming a Master.

Having a Master Assassin assigned to a Den will prevent any Templar attacks on the Den, even at maximum notoriety. Thus negating the need to play DD. This is important – if you want to be able to continue to play DD, leave at least one Den without an assigned Master Assassin.
---
#5rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:43:17 PMmessage detail
2.4 The Mediterranean Defence mini-game
The basics here are the same as before as well. THIS INCLUDES THE FACT THAT, IN PRACTICAL TERMS, IT NEVER ENDS. New additions include the ability to take a city; the ability to then renovate, continue to improve & earn income from those cities that you control, as well as the ability to “post” assassins in the cities on a semi-permanent basis.

While MD never, practically, ends there is a point where you have done everything even vaguely connected to the main, or current game, storyline. There is also a point you reach where you have renovated each city to the max and are simply fighting (sending assassins) to maintain control of it.

Once a city has been taken you must continue to renovate the city, or send assassins to complete missions there in order to maintain control. As you did to them, the Templars will try to erode your control each day (every 20 minutes) & eventually take back the city, unless you prevent them. Posting an assassin in a city will allow you to retain a greater level of control over a city for a longer period without sending in assassins.

As it never really ends, for how long or to what degree you play MD once all your assassins are fully levelled is entirely up to you. Just keep in mind that there is a PS trophy obtainable by controlling all cities except Rhodes at once.

2.5 City Use In MD
MD cities under your control can also provide you with cash income, as well as regular top-ups of your bomb crafting supplies. It can be useful for supplementing your income early in the game, but as the MD game never really “ends” it will eventually reach a point where your bank income is far outdoing it. The “exp” bonus given by a city applies to recruits posted there.

2.6 Posting Recruits In Cities & Recalling/Swapping Assassins
For the purpose of this section, I’ll introduce the terms “City Assassin” and “Guild Assassin”. Guild Assassins are those that are currently under your direct command and are viewed in the “Assassin” menu of MD. City Assassins are those assigned to a city, over which you have no direct control.

You can assign your Assassins to cities you control in MD. This decreases the rate at which your control over the city slips. Assigned Assassins can be both “recalled” from a city, or “swapped” for a Guild Assassin.

To assign a Guild Assassin to a city, press square at the city-selection menu in MD to bring up the assassin management screen.

To recall an Assassin from a city, you must have a free guild space. You can free one up if you don’t have one by either killing a low-level recruit or by dispatching a Guild Assassin to a city.

If you have no free guild spaces and you want a City Assassin back in the guild, you’ll be forced to swap a current Guild Assassin for the City Assassin you want back.

Both recalling & swapping are managed in the same screen as assigning recruits to the city.

2.7 Killing Recruits
Unwanted recruits can be killed off in a few ways (with the exception of the very first one you get). They can just be killed outright by guards in a fight once called; they can be set up & sent on missions in MD that will fail; you can also call them near water and knock them into it – apparently Ezio is the only person in Constantinople who can swim.
---
#6rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:45:18 PMmessage detail
3. OUTFITS
3.1 What outfits are available & how do you get them?
There are a number of different “skins” that you can use. These are cosmetic, and don’t affect any of your weapons or abilities when used. The currently available outfits are:

Plain robes – Ezio’s default AC:R clothing

Turkish Assassin Armour – exclusive to the Special Edition of AC:R (I believe Gamespot is/was running a thing where you could get a code from them for free, but the codes were only valid in the NA PSN store)

Armour of Brutus – exclusive to the Animus & Digital Exclusive editions of AC:R; apparently you can also get this by purchasing the game at Wal-mart

Ezio in Altair’s Robes/Altair’s skin – exclusive to the Collectors, Animus & Digital Exclusive editions

Desmond Miles – unlocked by collecting 30 Animus Data Fragments

Old Altair – unlocked by completing Memory Sequence 8 with 100% sync

3.2 Equipping an outfit
Outfits are equipped & removed via the Inventory section of the start menu. As previously stated, these are cosmetic changes only.

3.3 Difference between Outfits & Equipment
I’ve seen several people post about not being able to find an outfit they just unlocked in the hideout. The outfits are non-physical items unlocked for in-game use via one of the above means. Anything purchased IN-GAME is equipment & will be found somewhere in the hideout. Yusuf’s Kijil is in the hideout – Old Ezio is in the game menu.

4. STORYLINE GAMEPLAY
4.1 Den captains & how to kill them
There are two types of Den Captain; ones that stand & fight & ones that run as soon as they detect you. The Cowardly Den Captains can be a pain for some of the newer players – the easiest way I’ve found to deal with them is to just send in your recruits from a distance. A popular alternative to this seems to be placing a trip-wire bomb at the door to the Den so he kills himself while escaping.

4.2 Notoriety
As with previous games, this one has included a notoriety system. However this time notoriety raises when you do things that “alert the Templars to Assassin activity within the city”. Once they become “aware enough of your actions” they will launch an attack on one of your Dens.
---
#7rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:46:28 PMmessage detail
4.3 Den defence
A new minigame introduced in AC:R, this is an RTS type event which involves you “spending” morale to “hire” & place various types of assassin on the rooftops of a street leading to the Den. Your goal? Simple – prevent any attacking Templars from reaching/destroying the Den.

4.3A - Is it necessary?
Unfortunately for those who detest it, at least one of them is. Pretty much an AC staple now, the forced-tutorial will give you no choice. Once that’s done though, further DD’s are totally avoidable by simply keeping your notoriety down. However, there is an in-game challenge requiring that three of them are performed & a PS trophy obtained for a “perfect” DD. The good news here is that replaying the tutorial will count for both of these.

If you have Dens that can be attacked, but don’t feel like doing the DD if you trigger one, you can also just let the Den get retaken & then re-retake it yourself by killing another Captain.

4.3B The requirements for a “perfect” DD
To complete a “perfect” DD you just need to make sure that no damage is done at all to either the “free” barricade you start DD with or the Den itself. For obvious reasons, replaying the tutorial is probably going to be the best bet for this.

4.4 How do I make chests/fragments show on the map
A few ways; basically for chests, there are two different types. I’ll call them “bomb chests” and “treasure chests”. Only the treasure chests will appear on the map, and only once you have bought the corresponding map from a bookshop. The bomb chests contain bomb ingredients, will not show up on the map even if you buy all the maps, and will reappear/respawn periodically. So yes, if you’re sure you’ve opened that chest once already... you probably have.

The data fragments don’t appear until you’ve collected half of them, which then causes the remaining 50 to display on the map. Incidentally, collecting 25 of these will unlock a map for sale at a bookshop showing the location of the memory pages of Ishak Pasha, which in turn allow you to gain Ishak’s armour.
---
#8rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:48:18 PMmessage detail
5. DESMONDS MEMORIES
5.1 How to unlock them
This is pretty simple. Collect the Animus Data Fragments. You’ll need 30/100 to unlock all five of Desmond’s memories.

5.2 How to play them
Again, this is pretty simple. Just not intuitive, apparently. To play the memories, you’ll need to collect the corresponding number of data fragments, then “exit the animus” to the animus island. Up the hill from the portal back into Ezio’s past are “gates” formed by pillars. The first five of these gates from left to right lead into Desmond’s memories.

6. BUNDLING
6.1 What content do I get with X/Y/Z edition?
Check this link to see for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed:_Revelations#Retail_editions

6.2 Do I get AC1 if I buy this?
I’ve seen so many questions about this one, and nearly as much misinformation. ALL copies of AC:R that were made as part of the first print will come with AC1 included. It does not matter what edition of the game you got, or where you bought it. As long as it’s an original, first-print copy of the game it will have AC1 included. If in doubt, ask your retailer or check the box – it will state AC1 is included if it is.

6.3 Does the bundled AC1 have trophies now?
Nope.

7.ONLINE
6.1 Uplay passport
Yes, this game uses the passport/online code system to play the multiplayer. All new copies of the game come with a Uplay passport code. If you need another one, for whatever reason, you can purchase them online.

6.2 Do you have to play MP
No. Well... Sort of. Like most things, this depends on you. The MP this time around was given a stronger story-focus, and links well (though not in a way that makes it required) to the single player storyline.

There’s also MP trophies again, so if you want your platinum trophy for AC:R then you’ll need to play at least until level 20.
---
#9rhb263(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2011 10:50:14 PMmessage detail
8. Misc
8.1 AC3
I took this section out and put it back in three times before I posted, out of concern that this will be become yet another debate thread. I’m not really going to say much here other than this:

There is almost no currently confirmed information regarding the next AC, other than that it is scheduled for release in 2012, prior to “the end of the world” in December.

8.2 Lucy Stillman
There was never (or not yet) in-game explanation of why she was stabbed. It has been stated by developers that it was to shock Desmond to the point where his mind would fracture, forcing him to be placed back into the Animus. In combination with one of 16’s lines (“finish what you started – see all they have to show you”), it seems pretty clear that TWCB manipulated the situation so that Desmond would see everything he does in AC:R and “know what to do” at the end of it all.

8.3 The extra gates on Animus Island
Once the storyline is finished and the credits have rolled, the Island rebuilds itself – including the previously broken pillars up near the Desmond memories. As far as I know, there’s no explanation for these repaired gates.

Speculation I’ve seen on Gamefaqs so far has included:

Future DLC related content; laziness of the developers; or (my personal theory) that the Animus rebuilding the island fully was representative of Desmond’s broken mind having been rebuilt.

And there you have it. I don't think I've missed any major FAQ's, but feel free to add any others in (with an answer if you have it).

Thanks again. Post away...
---
#10chrys58Posted 12/28/2011 12:44:09 AMmessage detail
can you help me... i got a questions about u play pass..
first:
can i download it into two different ps3 consoles using the account that redeemed the code just like other things that are bought from the psn store?

second:
can everyone who uses the ps3 play the multiplayer with their own accounts

tnx in advance...