WANTED Strategy Discussion

#1celc5Posted 4/23/2012 11:28:27 AM
I'm a Wanted junkie carrying right over from Brotherhood. I love the YouTube instructional videos and commentaries. So, I'll start by sharing a few things I've learned from those videos and my own experience (right now I'm a level 33 with about a 34% win rate, if that even means anything LOL). I'm hoping to generate discussion and general Wanted shop talk.

I'll start off by saying that playing defensively has been productive for me thus far. I've noticed that morphing or blending to stun racks up a lot of points, especially with the new stun streaks in Revelations.

This works for me when I'm playing against evenly matched opponents or runners. Conversely, this strategy tends not to work for me when I'm playing against a lobby of prestiged 50s.

Any thoughts on playing defensively against a skilled lobby?
Or any other suggestions for strategies to use when I'm outmatched?
#2Immature_SagePosted 4/23/2012 11:55:27 AM(edited)
There is only so much you can do against the Prestigious players of the game. Some of us, at a glance, can tell who you are from among the crowd and, at a certain distance, you are practically holding a billboard that says: "I'm your target/pursuer".

But seriously, that doesn't mean that a defensive strategy won't work. No, against the Prestige you have to coordinate you stuns, kills and abilities in an "In your face" kind of way.

For example, in Wanted Prestige players like to use smoke bomb and then poison you for kills, use Templar Eyes + Gun for quick kills and Mute+Smoke Bombs for stuns and survival. Or just plain Smoke bomb everything that moves for stuns and kills. We use the smoke bomb WAY too much but it keeps us alive.

Hiding in a place that is right next to a haystack or a place with a tall roof is a big no-no because if you move the cursor will move automatically on you and you will be skewered.

If you see your pursuer coming at you there is a very good chance that he will lock you and chase you around slowly (of frantically) throughout the entire stage. A Prestige wont screw up a kill so easy so your only escape is to stun the dude.

You will have to use Mute, Charge or Smoke bombs to survive a dedicated pursuer. Mind you, Charge can be thwarted by a Smoke bomb or be completely useless if you use it too close to the dude. Mute may have 6.0 meter area of effect but timing can be a little tricky since it last less than 2 seconds.

In wanted, I get to first place faster than the others because I take my kills slowly adjusting my play style in accordance with what abilities are ready to be used and how many pursuers I have on me. You will find that getting to 1st in Manhunt is a LOT easier than staying first.

I have said too much, ask if you have more you want me to reveal how to ace wanted, OK?
#3CondemnatnWingsPosted 4/23/2012 12:04:11 PM
Immature_Sage posted...
Templar Eyes + Gun

LOL.

SmokeFocusPoison first kill, camp in a corner with Mute Smoke the rest of the game. How good players play.
#4celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 12:10:52 PM
Immature_Sage posted...
Hiding in a place that is right next to a haystack or a place with a tall roof is a big no-no because if you move THE CURSOR WILL AUTOMATICALLY on you and you will be skewered.

Definitely not too much! This is the type of discussion I was hoping to generate.

Can you elaborate on the point I highlighted above? I agree that I have found that I'm an easy target when blended next to a haystack. Shouldn't it be the same as being in any blend group? Are you saying that I get a blue arrow over my head when my pursuer goes into the haystack?
#5Immature_SagePosted 4/23/2012 12:25:19 PM(edited)
@CondemnatnWings

I know. That combination can really annoy the other players a lot. But the user stays alive and gets a whole mess of points. I'm telling you it's just not fair.

Staying in a corner and watching what the others are doing with abilities ready for stunning any poor soul that comes close is also a way to play Wanted... and Assassinate too.

If I recall correctly the Templar Eyes + Gun thing is use a LOT in Manhunt. It's only good for the variety bonuses, clearing some of the challenges, getting about 100~200 points and getting in other peoples nerves.

EDIT: @celc5

OK, when on a rooftop right above a crown where your target is hiding. If you center your camera on them and don't target anyone there is a very good chance that, when he moves, the cursor will highlight the target for like a second giving you a chance to kill him.

As for the haystack, no we don't get any indication of who our target is when we hide in a haystack close to you. Instead, some of us use Templar eyes while inside the haystack and then wait for the Focus to fill then strike.

Now, others will play a more strategic role when inside the haystack. There are some Prestige players that only need a second or two to find out who you are from inside the haystack because they are so close and can get a better look at you.

If we are in a haystack that is really close to you and you move, the games lock will shift to you for a second and we will strike.

Any questions? Want more details?
#6CondemnatnWingsPosted 4/23/2012 12:28:06 PM
Templar Vision + Gun is terrible in all modes.
#7celc5(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2012 12:30:59 PM
@Sage
Ok, I get what you meant now. Thanks for the clarification.

You also mentioned the "here I come" billboard when targeting an advanced player. When a newb is roofing, I can usually flank him because he's chasing his target. But, what do I do when my target is prestiged and clearly bating me to the roof? I don't want to be an obvious pursuer or fall into his stun trap.

@Wings
I get the focus/poison/first blood very often in the brotherhood maps. Then I either smoke/mute or morph/smoke to stun and maintain the lead. But I rarely get first blood in the revelations maps. Any suggestions for learning the new maps to make my way to the center faster? *you're probably gonna say to play more LOL
#8Immature_SagePosted 4/23/2012 12:35:52 PM
CondemnatnWings posted...
Templar Vision + Gun is terrible in all modes.

I know its awful but there are lots of people that want to complete the 2 gun related challenges in the game. I admit that I'm in that crew as well.

Also, it might be good for a quick kill just to activate something like an Extreme Variety bonus on your next kill and that is pretty good. I generally use the gun 3 times in a match and then switch to one of my strategic ability sets. I say strategic because I adapted my ability sets to fit certain game modes.
#9Immature_SagePosted 4/23/2012 12:58:53 PM
celc5 posted...
@Sage
Ok, I get what you meant now. Thanks for the clarification.

You also mentioned the "here I come" billboard when targeting an advanced player. When a newb is roofing, I can usually flank him because he's chasing his target. But, what do I do when my target is prestiged and clearly bating me to the roof? I don't want to be an obvious pursuer or fall into his stun trap.

@Wings
I get the focus/poison/first blood very often in the brotherhood maps. Then I either smoke/mute or morph/smoke to stun and maintain the lead. But I rarely get first blood in the revelations maps. Any suggestions for learning the new maps to make my way to the center faster? *you're probably gonna say to play more LOL

Sorry for double post!

If your prestige targets bating you to the go to the rooftop then I will have to say you will have to play with the timing and his mind.

You see, when you are climbing to the roof there are so many opening where you will not be able to defend yourself in any way. And there is a HUGE lag when you are making it to the top of the roof be it be climbing or by using one of those lifts; when you are landing you are wide open!

Here are a few methods:

Climb but before reaching the top stay put and see if he will check for you giving you the opportunity for a ledge kill.

Don't climb and look for a lift (make sure he is close to the lift for this one). When the lift throws you to the roof, there will be a time where you will be up in the air before landing. Use a smoke bomb in the air to prevent stunning and get a kill.

Ignore him and get away from his sight, instead climb from the back and stab him.

Sometimes your target will be up on the roof just looking for his target. If you approach as if: "You are not my target, I'm looking for mine up here too", you might trick him for a kill. Mind you he might be a nervous person and smoke bomb you anyway.

As for the First Blood bonus, I'm afraid that it will depend a LOT in your internet speed and your starting position. Why? Because if your internet speed is not too good you will notice that about 10 seconds will have passed in the match and might be a tad far from the center foiling the first blood bonus for you. Of course, there is also a chance you might start the match and your target will be very close to you (its happened to me).

Also, when playing wanted all maps will have an area where most of the kills will happen. Play a few matches in these maps to learn where the center is and make your way up to it quickly (making sure that your target is there too, no running in opposite directions, you know?). This center can move around or you could be playing with people that know about it and will stay away so keep an eye out!

Ask if you need more info!
#10CondemnatnWingsPosted 4/23/2012 1:05:04 PM
celc5 posted...

You don't want to "maintain the lead" by stalling or w/e you're implying, you want to force your pursuers to your little corner of the map to get stuns/escapes/streaks, and the game will gravitate to you (i.e. targets for Hidden Kills), so you can get the points. First Blood is nice, but really luck based. Not all spawns were generated equal!

P.S. - Play more.