What exactly is a hook and throw?

#1JD FedulePosted 12/10/2011 3:47:48 AM
Apparently I need to do ten of these for the Mercenaries Guild but the game seems to have forgotten to explain what it is. I've tried grabbing guards with the hookblade and then throwing them, and I've tried the running move (that replaces tackle) where you run into someone, hookblade them, *throw* them to the ground and vault over them (the challenges FAQ seems to be suggesting that this is the correct move), but the hook-and-throw count is still at zero. What's the deal here?
---
You cannot grasp the true form of JD Fedule's signature!
#2bobblastumpPosted 12/10/2011 4:06:13 AM
Hook and throw is the same as the other hook move except you perform it while approaching the guard from the front instead of the rear.
---
Gamertag: Whitemannatee
PSN ID: Reitmannatee
#3maturin1919Posted 12/10/2011 8:50:47 AM
bobblastump posted...
Hook and throw is the same as the other hook move except you perform it while approaching the guard from the front instead of the rear.

Not sure what this is all about. I can't remember which is which, but one move requires you to hold the button, the other requires only a tap of the button.
#4escape98sk8Posted 12/10/2011 9:45:56 AM

Well, a hook-and-throw is a move which consist basically of two parts, the hook and the throw.

You are most likely performing a Hook-and-run instead of a hook-and-throw. Like Maturin said, one is performed by holding the B button while the other is performed by just tapping that button. I can't remember which is which, though.

#5Xeros CandelaPosted 12/10/2011 11:10:43 AM
Hit the button again as you roll over them. Otherwise, you just keep running.
---
Insert coin(s) to continue...
#6SenkouPosted 12/10/2011 11:14:01 AM
Counter an attack by pressing B instead of X.
#7GaMiNg eLiTePosted 12/10/2011 11:42:36 AM
Senkou is correct. There are three counters to a normal enemy attack now:
Counter Kill (X)
Counter Steal (Y) - No damage, but loots the enemy where they stand and allows you to chain a kill streak off of it.
Hook and Throw (B) - Really just the same thing as Counter Kill, except it permanently incapacitates them instead of killing them. You might also be able to throw the enemy into another enemy; I'm not sure about that.
---
In the modern world, "common sense" is an oxymoron.
#8SenkouPosted 12/10/2011 11:47:34 AM
GaMiNg eLiTe posted...
except it permanently incapacitates them instead of killing them.

It counts as a kill on missions where you can't kill anyone, though.
#9GaMiNg eLiTePosted 12/10/2011 1:06:17 PM
I was wondering about that. Those missions were the only real purpose I could think of for using it instead of Counter Kill, but I never got into a fight during them to try it.
---
In the modern world, "common sense" is an oxymoron.
#10escape98sk8Posted 12/10/2011 1:19:11 PM

That Counter-Grab move is not the Hook-and-Throw as far as I know.

I didn't know about that counter grab -I just tried it out a few minutes ago, it's awesome by the way- but I had completed the Hook-and-Throw and the Hook-and-Run challenges long before knowing that move, so definitely is not that.