What does the J in SSJ stand for?

#1BigDong382Posted 9/7/2011 1:35:52 PM
I thought SSJ stood for Super Saiyan... so why is there a J in there?
---
Pick up the bong and smoke with The Dong
Dong is my last name btw -= Days without being modded: 14 =-
#2cookie_kidPosted 9/7/2011 1:37:31 PM
I think it has to do with the jap version, where they're called super saiya-JIN or something like that
---
When God gives you lemons ask him, "Why lemons...why not billions of dollars or a room of sexy, non-diseased ladies?"
#3theredsultanPosted 9/7/2011 1:38:20 PM
BigDong382 posted...
I thought SSJ stood for Super Saiyan... so why is there a J in there?

It's just the Japanese pronounciation :)
#4SSJ2_WookiePosted 9/7/2011 1:40:29 PM
In japan its "Super Saiyajin" (spelling?) But that's where the J comes from Majin buu even says it once that way when he first meets Goku and he is explaining Super Saiyan forms to Buu
#5Savra104Posted 9/7/2011 1:43:17 PM(edited)
The original Japanese for "Saiyan" was "Saiyajin".

The jin, is a notifier of a person; thus, he is one of "Saiya" or of the "Saiya" race. Because this was translated to Saiyan (ex. Romujin -> Roman), the J is absolutely unnecessary, however. Then again, it was never necessary in the first place.

The majority of people who put SSJ are people who grew up influenced by earlier boards and fans who were...more deeply invested in the series..
#6RichterB17Posted 9/7/2011 2:03:20 PM
Yeah when I was kid and I used to go to dbz fan sites all of them said SSJ. So it's somethin i just stick with since i was 9 or 10.
---
eff a dawg!!!!!!!
#7TreloBiftekiPosted 9/7/2011 2:07:08 PM
Super Saiya-Jin (Jap)
---
YouTube Channel ---> http://youtube.com/AchillesTheHedgehog
PSN ID ---> TreloBifteki
#8DarkYakumoPosted 9/7/2011 3:15:22 PM
Saiya-jin is the Japanese version. Saiya came from the word, "Yasai" which means vegetable. Jin at the end signifies person/people. So the name fully means, vegetable people hence why the names of Saiya-jin are vegetables. I still say saiya-jin when actually talking about it but for the sake of this board, I stick with Saiyan.
---
"why is this a topic?... -1 for humanity" - Ninja_Toast
PSN: Soukyuu-kun Jap PSN: DarkYakumo
#9MwulfPosted 9/7/2011 4:00:49 PM
^--That's it exactly.

Because DBZ (and anime in general) was... I don't know, "underground," in those dark days of the early and pre-Internet, the only way to see DB was poor-quality (often VHS) fansubs, or some other language (original Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.). Because of that, the fans (and the people making the fansites) didn't have the "official" romanization of "Saiyan" to go by, so they/we settled on a simple, direct transliteration of the Japanese--Saiyajin, which, IIRC, was written with a reversed "vegetable" character and the normal "person" character at the end.

So, basically, you can tell the age of a DBZ fan by how they write the word "saiyajin".

Also: you abbreviate "Japan" to "JPN." That ~other~ term is a racial slur.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#10DarkYakumoPosted 9/7/2011 4:06:21 PM
^ Unless you state the song name by Abingdon Boys School used for Sengoku Basara embracing it. lol

On a serious note, I think SSJ has been sufficiently explained.
---
"why is this a topic?... -1 for humanity" - Ninja_Toast
PSN: Soukyuu-kun Jap PSN: DarkYakumo