Building limit in Dust

#1Red_ArmadilloePosted 3/20/2012 9:27:12 AM

Does it annoy anybody else? The only time the game seems to go good on this level is when there are no pre-placed buildings. This allows people to gather rift and build only the nesscecary things (most of the time), but they do it slow enough that one can start building another base in the middle of the map at the same time. It's still a struggle, but this is the only way I've seen two bases develop without interference.

All other times, when someone tries to expand, they can't because the building limit has been reached. So, you're stuck having to spawn at your base and travel all the way across the map just to get in reach of an enemy. If you fly, it goes faster, but it's still extremely annoying. 

It's already been talked about, but they should probably increase the building limit on large maps. You reach the limit WAY to fast with more people (lately I've been playing with 20-30 people, and the building limit is maxed when literally there is nothing going on...no expansions or anything). 

Also, if there is an expansion, normally it's nothing more than an outpost, hover-bike, and shield generator. This makes sense...but it's just so weak and very unfitting for the whole battle scenario.

On the smaller levels, expansions are usually worth more than just spawn points. They're safe havens. On the larger maps this is not the case. It's very annoying.

And off topic, but is anybody else annoyed at the change of altitude one can reach before they stall in a hawk? It's so much lower now (it seems) that it's aggrivating. Literally, it's a little taller than the tallest mountain on Dust. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it really seems A LOT lower in all the maps. 

#2magicalpencilPosted 3/21/2012 7:37:29 AM
The build limit really does test ya teamwork on dust, if there's 16 people all going their own separate paths it's an nightmare!
Hopefully in the proper game you can put the build limit up, I think 64 would be good without getting too hectic on the large maps, on the small maps that would be quite funny!

I've noticed that low ceiling your talking about as well, it seems weird that super-awesome space-faring jet craft can't go higher then a few hundred feet in the air?!
It's unrealistic. I don't like it.
lol, seriously though, it might be because of beam turret range and dive-bombing the enemy base with the TOW from miles up. Having a high ceiling would give the hawks more freedom, freedom they don't deserve!
---
Where are my eyebrows? I've gotta find my eyebrows!
#3ragnaroker2Posted 3/21/2012 1:12:06 PM
The low ceiling did disappoint me, but I think it's to make it harder to fly straight up then divebomb with a torpedo.
---
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#4Red_Armadilloe(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 9:06:44 AM

Yeah, I understand why they did it, but none the less it really startled me. I was planning on dive bombing a base below me (haha), but I go up for about 3 seconds and then BAM, I'm stalled. I was quite worried I'd get shot down needless to say.

And the building limit only seems to be a problem more so for CTF. TDM, although still annoying, doesn't have quite the impact because everyone is just focussed on killing each other that expanding bases don't provide much assistance anyways other than making the killing faster. 

Heck, I was playing a 30 TDM today and was having a blast. Come to realize the enemy was the only one who had an expanded base...and it wasn't much. Just an outpost with a bunker and perhaps a hawk pad or hover bike? I'm not sure, but it didn't provide much advantage. 

#5KliamgroqPosted 3/23/2012 4:05:54 PM
When you stall, change into mech mode. I found this out a few days ago, and it's really fun to lure an enemy itno stalling then flakking them while they descend.
---
"When i'm on the ps3 internet browser can my friends see what website i'm on?" - Cloin.
PSN Id: Kliamgroqq
#6RaymondPosted 3/31/2012 10:40:38 AM
The whole build thing is stupid.

I like the old Warhawk better.
---
Spoiler is plot element, not your ignorance.
#7AzcatrazPosted 3/31/2012 5:35:44 PM
Raymond posted...
The whole build thing is stupid.

I like the old Warhawk better.

So why are you here on the Starhawk boards?
#8RaymondPosted 4/1/2012 12:28:14 AM
Because I can.
---
Spoiler is plot element, not your ignorance.
#9The LagPosted 4/16/2012 1:30:40 AM
no, being able to build structures is awesome. i actually wish it was even more tactical/strategy-based.
---
When my system needed to be cooler, I put a fonzi sticker on the case. Now it is cool as hell. - craftofthewise