MK1's fun, up til Goro... cheats?

#1MonarchPaulosPosted 9/20/2011 12:31:50 PM
I'm still having difficulty against him, ha, I prefer the Sega Genesis version of MK1, as I detest MK2/UMK3 personally. Anyone got tips on beating Goro, and do any of the Gore/Cheat codes work with THIS installment? It should if it's the actual port of MK1, but it's Arcade... guess not...?
---
More MvC3 chars needed! Where's Rogue?! I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!!!!
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
#2GitErBucPosted 9/20/2011 2:01:47 PM
1. Why would they port a Genesis/SNES game on to a high quality system... instead of the arcade version? Rhetorical question Farley.

2. If you think Goro is hard, you're in for a rude awakening when you face Kintaro.

3. There are no "cheats" to beat him. There are strategies to beat him, Liu Kang, Sub Zero, and Scorpion are the characters I've used to beat Goro.

4. Did you know that the SNES/Genesis versions of these games were inferior ports of the arcade? Designed to give players at home a chance to win? Rhetorical question Farley.
---
"I won't be blind forever, and as soon as I see some ass I'm kicking it" - Hank Hill
#3ziggurat86Posted 9/20/2011 5:09:37 PM
Inferior, no, unless you enjoy the following: the AI on the arcades was designed to read all of your button presses after a few rounds, so that you would then have to pay more quarters to continue. When you continued, the AI was noticeably easier for one round, then it went back to being ridiculous to get more quarters. This was rinsed and repeated.

MK1 is the only MK that had this issue addressed (to an extent) in the home ports. MK2, MK3, UMK3, and even MKTrilogy (which had its AI ported from UMK3) did not fix this issue / adjust the AI to behave more like any other given fighter on the home consoles. They did add a superficial "difficulty level" option for some of the home ports, but that setting only affected the first few rounds of the challenge ladder, and the "reset" difficulty that occurred for one match after a loss.

FYI, TC - there are some exploits you can use against the AI in all of these games (arcade version and home ports alike). I recommend checking out the FAQs for some of the old MK releases for both the arcades and the consoles - you should be able to find what you're looking for. Mind you, these exploits are not considered terribly fun by many people, at least for a fighting game. Good luck.
#4MonarchPaulos(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2011 10:00:47 AM
Thanks Zig :]
---
More MvC3 chars needed! Where's Rogue?! I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!!!!
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
#5leeko_linkPosted 10/2/2011 12:43:42 AM(edited)
"1. Why would they port a Genesis/SNES game on to a high quality system... instead of the arcade version? Rhetorical question Farley."

Yeah, a high quality system deserve high quality games, I still wonder why they bother to port the arcade versions and not the PSN or XBLA versions of MKII and UMK3 with MK1. Those previous two versions already got the better online, better gameplay and stuff but instead they port the arcade versions instead with much more waterdown features.

"2. If you think Goro is hard, you're in for a rude awakening when you face Kintaro."

I agree Kintaro, was a monster in MKII, the only way I could beat him in was to choose Sub-Zero, freeze him, corner him, and rapidly use Low Punch on him until he drops dead. Goro on the otherhand was much easier, and Motaro was cheap as hell.

"3. There are no "cheats" to beat him. There are strategies to beat him, Liu Kang, Sub Zero, and Scorpion are the characters I've used to beat Goro."

I always beat him by just playing as either one of the two ninjas usually Scorpion.

"4. Did you know that the SNES/Genesis versions of these games were inferior ports of the arcade? Designed to give players at home a chance to win? Rhetorical question Farley."

Inferior or not, the console versions were much more complete and well-balanced than the arcade games. Reptile actually got a name in his lifebar in MK1 SNES, Scorpion could actually shout "come here" in the SNES version of UMK3 unlike the arcade version where it got cut halfway. Scorpion's 2nd UMK3 fatality (the Hell Riser) was much better in the home versions compare to the black screen censored one of the arcade, there were more modes and easter eggs in the home versions.

Unlocking Smoke in MK3 for SNES and Genesis were much more easier and rewarding than the complicated used of ultimate kombat kode in the arcade game which required both players. Fatalities and finishers were also much more easier to master in the home versions. Just for the fun of it, you could even play as Motaro and Shao Kahn in the home versions of MK3 & UMK3. Inferior = yes, fun = yes, challenging = yes, broken = no. The only thing the console versions lacks was the high def graphics and superior audios, other than that they play just as good as the arcade games sometime even better a.k.a. MKII SNES.