"Last" Boss? *minor spoilers*

#1JFFMFBPosted 6/23/2011 10:34:33 AM
Just wondering if Skeletron is basically like the final boss for this game? I've killed Eye of Cthulu, Eater of Worlds, and Skeletron (the main 3 I've heard people talk about) and Skeletron was definitely the hardest.

The thing is, beating Skeletron just opens up another place to get more equipment, so why would he be the final boss unless you need to use the equipment on something else? I'm not even close to having top-tier weapons or armor and I still beat him, but what's the point of going to the dungeon, jungle or underworld if I don't really need to get stronger for any reason?

I've also heard of King Slime but he seems more like a random event than an important boss.
---
"Any man who says that they would rather have sex with a man than a woman is gay" -Biggie_Pun
http://www.last.fm/user/ClumsyRobot
#2DetsuaxhePosted 6/23/2011 10:39:50 AM
Well, after Skeletron there's still the underworld and/or the jungle to conquer. But at this point getting better stuff is basically its own reward. For example the materials in the dungeon (the books, water candles, dungeon bricks, spikes) are unique and can be used to make your buildings more interesting or similar.

But do remember that Terraria is still getting huge content updates and that the three boss count won't stay the same forever.
---
Where's my "Accept This Moderation with Extreme Reluctance and Resentful Glares" button?
When reading and responding to my posts, try to take it easy.
#3Chaotic_AnarkiPosted 6/23/2011 10:49:18 AM(edited)
JFFMFB posted...
Just wondering if Skeletron is basically like the final boss for this game? I've killed Eye of Cthulu, Eater of Worlds, and Skeletron (the main 3 I've heard people talk about) and Skeletron was definitely the hardest.

The thing is, beating Skeletron just opens up another place to get more equipment, so why would he be the final boss unless you need to use the equipment on something else? I'm not even close to having top-tier weapons or armor and I still beat him, but what's the point of going to the dungeon, jungle or underworld if I don't really need to get stronger for any reason?

I've also heard of King Slime but he seems more like a random event than an important boss.

You can kill Skeletron with Shurikens in Bronze armor, hell, probably naked if you build a big enough arena, and have enough supplies. You don't need anything else, does that mean the game is over when you unlock the merchant?

No. The game is receiving updates, it isn't finished. We are getting new patches, and they are continuing development.

If you are playing this game like there is supposed to be a point to any of it, you're doing it wrong. You should do all those things because you want to explore and experience all of the content the game has to offer.

I mean, if we go by your logic, why play any game like that? When you have the best stuff, there is no longer anything to use it on. Then new stuff comes out, that makes it not the best, so you have to get the new best, but then you will have nothing to use it on either.

This isn't an mmo. If you're playing it for progression, congratulations, you finished the game. There is still plenty of stuff to do after you beat Skeletron. You may not enjoy everything the game has to offer, and if that is the case, it just isn't your type of game.
---
Rule 1. I am always right.
Rule 2. If in any case I appear wrong, refer to rule 1.
#4JFFMFB(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 10:59:43 AM
^Whoa, dude, I wasn't hating on the game, I didn't need a rant from you defending it. This game has been fantastic and I've put in probably 20 or so hours that I've enjoyed very thoroughly.

I was just asking if there were any more big, hard-to-kill boss monsters because I can already handle myself fairly well in the Jungle and Underworld so they're not much of a challenge at this point...

And your argument that "this game isn't about progression" is kinda silly, because it obviously is to a certain extent... you get powerups, better armor, better weapons, and it'd be nice to use it on something. I've played and enjoyed Minecraft as well, which is a much more free-form, less objective-based game, and the main difference in Terraria is that they added objectives and boss monsters to give it more of a feeling of progression and a motivation to keep exploring. It'd just be nice if they paced it differently so you don't kill all the hard monsters on the surface, maybe you have to fight through the underworld or the jungle to get to some big final monster. That'd be cool, is all I'm saying.
---
"Any man who says that they would rather have sex with a man than a woman is gay" -Biggie_Pun
#5PemosanPosted 6/24/2011 7:15:33 AM
JFFMFB posted...
^Whoa, dude, I wasn't hating on the game, I didn't need a rant from you defending it. This game has been fantastic and I've put in probably 20 or so hours that I've enjoyed very thoroughly.

I was just asking if there were any more big, hard-to-kill boss monsters because I can already handle myself fairly well in the Jungle and Underworld so they're not much of a challenge at this point...

And your argument that "this game isn't about progression" is kinda silly, because it obviously is to a certain extent... you get powerups, better armor, better weapons, and it'd be nice to use it on something. I've played and enjoyed Minecraft as well, which is a much more free-form, less objective-based game, and the main difference in Terraria is that they added objectives and boss monsters to give it more of a feeling of progression and a motivation to keep exploring. It'd just be nice if they paced it differently so you don't kill all the hard monsters on the surface, maybe you have to fight through the underworld or the jungle to get to some big final monster. That'd be cool, is all I'm saying.

I don't really see his response as a rant, but more of a frustrated response. There are so many topics on this kind of thing (ie "How do you win Terraria?"), but it basically boils down to personal preference. Beating bosses is all you want? Fine. Collecting every single item available in the game? Go for it. Recreating Dracula's castle from Symphony of the night? LOL good luck.

And your point of "I want moar bosses" is also covered by chaotic, there is more content coming. Want a challenge, now? Make a new hardcore character, then beat skeletron on a new world.
#6JFFMFB(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2011 11:13:34 AM
There are so many topics on this kind of thing (ie "How do you win Terraria?"),

I just did a quick search on these boards for "win," "objective," "finish," "point," and "boss" and there wasn't a single topic similar to mine... it seems like you guys are just being defensive for no reason when I'm not criticizing the game. I just asked a simple question 1) because I honestly didn't know if there were more bosses and 2) to discuss the possibility of additional bosses.
---
#7SoulofweeweePosted 6/24/2011 11:57:36 AM
There's always PVP, if you're into that sort of thing. Other than that, you'll have to wait for them to add more bosses. Unless you're going for challenge, where you can turn on hardcore mode and fight eye of cthulhu world eater and skeletron all at once with no armor or dungeon weapons. Open ended game at any rate.
---
I like cats. They're low maintenance.
#8PemosanPosted 6/24/2011 9:32:51 PM
JFFMFB posted...
There are so many topics on this kind of thing (ie "How do you win Terraria?"),

I just did a quick search on these boards for "win," "objective," "finish," "point," and "boss" and there wasn't a single topic similar to mine... it seems like you guys are just being defensive for no reason when I'm not criticizing the game. I just asked a simple question 1) because I honestly didn't know if there were more bosses and 2) to discuss the possibility of additional bosses.

I wasn't being defensive at all, my tone (or should I say, intended tone) was an informative one. But try searching for "now" or something, I am certain I have read 10 topics minimum that ask for directions on what to do past skeletron.
#9SpaceAssassinPosted 6/24/2011 10:02:55 PM
lol i feel bad for tc, he asked a simple yes or no question.
---
Beast Mode
[ON] OFF