Hardcore Mode: not so hard core

#1baal46Posted 6/25/2011 12:31:08 AM

So I started up a hardcore game with a friend of mine, and we proceeded to have a blast for about an hour. During this time we were under the impression that if you die, you lose all of your gear and have to reroll.

Well, eventually my buddy got a little careless with the grenades and blew himself up.

To our surprise, he simply respawned. All of his stuff just dropped on the ground where he died. He was able to easily return and retrieve it. He even got his money back. There was essentially no penalty at all.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I guess it could be tricky if you die deep underground, or in hell, but if you can get back to your stuff? You're totally fine. That's not what I call hardcore.

My definition of "hardcore mode" comes (obviously) from Diablo 2, where if you die, you're done. Restart from scratch. This is apparently not the case with Terraria.

We continued playing, but we both agreed that it was pretty disappointing that we didn't really need to be as super-cautious as we had been.

We had both really enjoyed that first hour.

#2aHappySackaPosted 6/25/2011 12:39:24 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/630609-terraria/59535461
---
Kitty Kat --> /\_/\
.................=(^_^)=
#3Kaisar_DragonPosted 6/25/2011 12:45:46 AM
Think of it as minecraft mode, then.
---
So a phoenix down will resurrect and kill the undead? Quick, get me some phoenix downs! Light goes on, light goes off!
#4Ultima_Weapon33Posted 6/25/2011 12:50:49 AM
Yeah, I thought it would do the deletion thing as well. I was surprised.

The tombstones are really cute/nice though!
---
I can think of a decillion better ways to spend our time...than by having MEETINGS.
Any sound can shake the air. My voice shakes the heart.
#5shunkeatenemyPosted 6/25/2011 1:58:45 AM
Imagine you're in hell you die and your items spill into the lava anything that isn't BLUE grade will burn up and be gone forever.
#6Ether_SwordPosted 6/25/2011 10:22:38 AM
shunkeatenemy posted...
Imagine you're in hell you die and your items spill into the lava anything that isn't BLUE grade will burn up and be gone forever.

I like how this board keeps forgetting that. Dying in a cavern in terraria opposed to dying in minecraft is a lot harder to get back your items.
#7doombringer91Posted 6/25/2011 10:50:40 AM
Ether_Sword posted...
shunkeatenemy posted...

I like how this board keeps forgetting that. Dying in a cavern in terraria opposed to dying in minecraft is a lot harder to get back your items.

Are you saying it's harder to recover items in Terraria than Minecraft?

If so you just couldn't be more wrong.
#8Robtcee13Posted 6/25/2011 10:54:46 AM
I think maybe the devs screwed up. Because, didn't the patch notes say that your character would be deleted?
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#9MegawizardPosted 6/25/2011 4:10:30 PM
doombringer91 posted...
Are you saying it's harder to recover items in Terraria than Minecraft?

If so you just couldn't be more wrong.

I wasn't aware Terraria let you change the game to a mode where no monsters spawn and then let ya change it back.
---
The Gaga Law:
(RAH) (AH) + RO (MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH(LA) = Bad Romance
#10lightsdarks300Posted 6/25/2011 4:51:58 PM
I'm certain its a glitch, hopefully they'll patch it soon
---
its so hrd nt 2 spel corectly, how do u nt spel in te rite way?
*note* If you see Multisensory's sig, don't even bother posting about it