Corruption/Hallow spread in hardmore

#1element_zeroPosted 12/2/2011 5:16:00 AM
I have not yet entered hard mode yet, but I've read that corruption spread is increased with it active.

Can you still stop corruption spread by placing stone blocks and/or Sunflowers? Or is this overridden in hardmode?

Also is there a way to limit hallow spread somehow?
---
I has a flavor
#2FdshadowPosted 12/2/2011 5:19:39 AM
No to both, from what I saw, nothing stops either, there's already complains about the fact all world are bound to be either Hallow or Corruption eventually, nothing stops it except a large empty space, my main building is already a floating island just in case.

Seeing as how the Hallow is pretty much worse than the Corruption (fills world with worthless 'Pearlstone', but without the Demon Altars and Shadow Orbs to go for), im hoping for a new 'neutral' biome, because so far all hard modes are on a timer.
#3Robtcee13Posted 12/2/2011 7:14:19 AM
Fdshadow posted...
No to both, from what I saw, nothing stops either, there's already complains about the fact all world are bound to be either Hallow or Corruption eventually, nothing stops it except a large empty space, my main building is already a floating island just in case.

Seeing as how the Hallow is pretty much worse than the Corruption (fills world with worthless 'Pearlstone', but without the Demon Altars and Shadow Orbs to go for), im hoping for a new 'neutral' biome, because so far all hard modes are on a timer.

From what I can tell, all the demon altars in your world that were normally there get removed, in favor of just a few spawning in completely random locations once the hardmode boss goes down. And shadow orbs? Those are old hat by this point.
---
If you think my name is silly, you should call me either Rob or LaughingThesaurus.
No need for being strictly formal on a message board, right?
#4Serial RainPosted 12/3/2011 7:30:06 AM
Does sunflower or vile powder have any longterm effect on hallow biomes, or no effect?
#5DrCiddPosted 12/3/2011 10:19:28 AM(edited)
Actually. I've successfully staved off growth of both corruption AND hallow by using bricks, any kind will work, dungeon bricks, silver, gold, what have you.

Just place a big chunk (about 4x4) in between the green grass and hallow/corruption or where you're comfortable letting it get to.

It hasn't spread through anything other than grass/stone/sand for me. So I'd assume any material will work, so long as it isn't one of those 3.

So if you can catch it early, you may still be in luck.

[Edit] I'd also like to note that you can reverse hallow as well, by using unholy water to first change it into corruption, and then changing it back to normal with purification powder.

I know this isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

In other words, this means that stone, pearlstone, ebonstone. And their variants of sand, are all one in the same. You can interchange between any material you wish with a few clicks.
---
I used to think my brain was my favorite part of my body...Then I realized what was making me think that!
#6DrCiddPosted 12/3/2011 10:25:46 AM
Here's an example of how I prevented the spread of hallow using bricks.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045073588/screenshot/630732600956763114?tab=public
---
I used to think my brain was my favorite part of my body...Then I realized what was making me think that!
#7ChaoticKanePosted 12/3/2011 10:38:59 AM
So can you preemptively go out to the corruption and brick up the sides before defeating the WoF and keeping it contained? Also, possibly a dumb question, do you only have to prevent the surface from spreading to keep the underground from going past it?
---
But lets not forget how deadly the zerg were in Starship troopers! Well until the Terrans got Marauders. - julbull73
#8DrCiddPosted 12/3/2011 10:41:37 AM
I don't think there's much you can do about the underground unless you can somehow find all the boundaries.

And I think it randomly places new corruption once you kill WoF. For example, both of my deserts were immediately corrupted 100% as soon as I killed the boss.
---
#9SierraReiPosted 12/3/2011 3:43:30 PM
In my experience, bricks and jungle will block spread. However, Corruptors will still fly past those barriers quite happily, so watch for that.
#10Zelda911Posted 12/4/2011 2:34:34 AM
You could do this.

1. Beat the WoF
2. Make holy water
3. Start new world
4. Spread hallow in that world before you kill the WoF
5. Kill WoF

Congrats you now have a world with a whole lot of hallow and only around 3% corruption.
---
Pokemon Diamond FC: 4553 7068 3110
Im stalking ... http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/user.php?board=934395