Soul of Night farming

#1LoZDude985Posted 12/9/2011 11:09:46 PM
I don't know about anyone else but I found the drop rate on Souls of Night rather annoying and monsters don't seem to spawn nearly as fast in the Underground Corruption as they do in the Underground Hallow. Well, after destroying one of the last orbs on my world the other day, I killed the Eater of Worlds and as I was killing it, each segmented killed has a chance to drop a Soul of Night. Using this, I made 8 Worm Food and gave it a try to see exactly how well it would work. Well... it worked wonders.

8 Worm Food

65 Souls of Night

~10 mins of my time

Definitely the way to go for anyone looking to farm up some Souls of Night really quick
---
Platinum FC - 0345 6079 3542
SoulSilver FC - 2364 7963 2086
#2ArgoniaPosted 12/9/2011 11:11:46 PM
This is a great idea. I was using the meteor head tactic previously. Thank you for sharing this.
---
Jesus was an alien space pirate. Therefore, pirating is the right thing to do. -Detsuaxhe
BRONIES UNITE!
#3lunarknight64Posted 12/9/2011 11:12:04 PM
meteor heads are also good for getting souls, although doing that might be better for night souls
meteor heads have the benefit that you don't need to keep getting meat and vile powder, you just need to stand in one spot and kill things
---
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
~Joseph Stalin
#4mtpfreakPosted 12/9/2011 11:53:26 PM
I'd prefer to stick to meteorite farming, since it costs 15 rotten chunks to make a worm food, but only 6 of them (along with 7 souls of night) to make a mechanical worm.
---
Clean Cut high score: 65 cuts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_Ty50Kais
#5dazbuzzPosted 12/10/2011 3:06:12 AM
Could you not do this with souls of light too? Just kill it in underground hallow.
---
id rather reign in hell, than serve in heaven.
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/dazbuzz2/sig/213.jpg
#6Taliban01Posted 12/10/2011 4:15:22 AM
Did you kill him in the underground corruption?
---
I just love that name...Siwisby...
#7opfer_gvPosted 12/10/2011 4:32:34 AM
dazbuzz posted...
Could you not do this with souls of light too? Just kill it in underground hallow.

If you haven't forgotten yet.. Worm Food is only can be used in Corruption. Also Eater of Worlds will disappear if you leave the Corruption. So unless there is way to make it happen, you cannot kill it in Hallowed area.
For Soul of Light, I think it is better to just use Meteorite trick for farming.
#8Skeletal_KingPosted 12/10/2011 7:36:04 AM
One way to get the EoW out of the Corruption, unless it's been fixed, is to smash Shadow Orbs.

Unlike the worm food version of the EoW, the Shadow Orb spawned version of the EoW can leave the corruption and will not disappear if you die. At least that's how it used to be pre-1.0.5, anyway.

That's how my friend and I used to kill him VERY early.
---
http://backloggery.com/kodan882 <- Anything I'm currently playing
#9Element_PearlPosted 12/10/2011 7:51:32 AM
I just tried this and only got about 6 Souls of Night from one EoW, however it was the easiest thing in the world to do, since one swing of the Excalibur with the buffs I have destroyed the head segment in one hit. I just sat in front of him and swung, he'd grind himself to death on the sword, and then I'd pick up the items. It's maybe not as good as the meteor method, but it definitely works if you've got some spare worm food to use.

As far as just regular grinding goes, Cursed Flames sell for about 8 gold a stack, so if you're doing it that way at least you can make some money.
---
Official Censored Element of the Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Gentlemen.
#10STG DeathbotPosted 12/10/2011 11:07:27 AM
Nine Eater of Worlds spawned and not one Soul of Night. Two of them were even from Shadow Orbs. I fought five of them in the Underground Corruption and the rest above ground.

This doesn't appear to be a very good method.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360