How to get the Carrot without hacking!

#1MetuaPosted 1/17/2012 5:13:53 PM(edited)
This involves editing your registry, and makes your game think you have the Collector's Edition. I tried this myself, and it works!

1. Open regedit.exe (Start -> Run -> regedit)
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Terraria
3. On the right add a new key named "Bunny" without the quotes. (As a string value.)
4. Set the keys value to "1" without the quotes.

Then create a new character, and he/she'll spawn with a Carrot!

Here's where I got this from: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-1-1-2.76786/page-8

It's about halfway down the page.
---
Anti-brony and proud
This grass feels funny. It feels like...trousers.
#2Jester323Posted 1/17/2012 7:43:46 PM
How is this any better than hacking exactly?
---
*Jester323 e/l/sc
#3Metua(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2012 7:49:33 PM
Jester323 posted...

Uh...you're not using an external program, I guess?

Anyways, it's a quick and easy way to get the Carrot without actually having to buy the Collector's Edition. And using something like InvEdit to get the Carrot won't work, because apparently the Carrot only works in the Collector's Edition.
---
Anti-brony and proud
#4QwelzaarKanePosted 1/18/2012 4:42:06 AM
That's closer to hacking than using InvEdit is.

---
http://backloggery.com/qwelzzy
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days...
#5tony8669Posted 1/18/2012 4:56:53 AM
Metua posted...
Jester323 posted...

Uh...you're not using an external program, I guess?

Anyways, it's a quick and easy way to get the Carrot without actually having to buy the Collector's Edition. And using something like InvEdit to get the Carrot won't work, because apparently the Carrot only works in the Collector's Edition.

Regedit isn't an external program?

Good find, though.
#6Metua(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2012 12:49:07 PM
Ok, maybe it is an external program. But it doesn't require you to download anything.
---
Anti-brony and proud
#7KLouD_KoNNeCteDPosted 1/18/2012 1:40:13 PM
Got my bunny. ;) Thanks for the info on how to get the Carrot.
---
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#8ShaidonPosted 1/18/2012 1:52:47 PM
This is hacking, Metua. Hacking is not only about using an application made by someone else, or yourself, but understand how to access and modify the programing of whatever software your are messing with. In this case you did one simple hacking, by using regedit.

Still, I think is more safe to InvEdit some dummy character, and then using him to add the item to another world chest. Instead of mess with the registry, that if you do not pay attention of what your are doing, or few tempted to mess around, you will end up breaking something of your OS.
---
50% of the challenge is made by the game. The other fifty, by the player.
#9SN_NinjaPosted 1/18/2012 2:32:52 PM

This is hacking, Metua. Hacking is not only about using an application made by someone else, or yourself, but understand how to access and modify the programing of whatever software your are messing with. In this case you did one simple hacking, by using regedit.

Still, I think is more safe to InvEdit some dummy character, and then using him to add the item to another world chest. Instead of mess with the registry, that if you do not pay attention of what your are doing, or few tempted to mess around, you will end up breaking something of your OS.

The carrot won't work unless you use regedit.
#10Metua(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2012 2:33:33 PM
Shaidon Neo posted...

I really don't think changing the registry can be considered hacking.

Also, the Carrot only works in the Collector's Edition, so using InvEdit wouldn't do anything.
---
Anti-brony and proud