How I play with Derpl Zork.

#1BigSharkZPosted 7/24/2012 2:31:22 PM(edited)
Note: I strongly suggest playing with good teammates, obviously. The only times I ever lose with him is never because of me, but the others. Team work is very important in this game. Playing alone at different areas isn't recommended.

Anyway, since a lot of people have asked me how I play with Derpl Zork and what my build for him is, I thought I'd share my playstyle with everyone else.

Here's my build:

Grid Trap / Nuke

Super-powered grid (Or Empowered grid if you're not high-leveled enough): Increases snare duration of grid trap. (2 upgrades if Empowered grid is used instead)
Hydrocollision lava lamp: Increases damage of nuke. (3 upgrades)
Combustion lava lamp: Increases nuke explosion size.

I use the increased snare duration of the grid trap as it greatly helps if opponents are trapped BEFORE you go into siege mode, so you can have more time to kill them. The nuke damage is the most important as it can easily kill anyone hiding behind turrets as you take no damages from the turrets themselves. Add more explosion size and you can kill any small droids easily and have more range to kill Awesomenauts who hide or try to escape.

Turret

Brim force field (Or Force field if you're not high-leveled enough): You gain a damage-absorbing shield when transforming into siege mode. (3 upgrades if Force field is used instead)
Solid fist bullets: Adds a knockback effect to your turretshot.
Hollow point bullets: Increases damage of turretshot (3 upgrades)

The force field greatly helps to reduce damage inflicted against you in general, and helps fight turrets at near distance for a longer period of time. Solid fist bullets mostly help when it comes to defending your base, or pushing opponents into the worm, Clunk's explosion, a turret or Yuri's bubble shield. Hollow point bullets is obvious, more damage to the turret makes it easier to kill opponents with more health.

Cat shot

Bat catsuit (Or Longcat if you're not high-leveled enough): Increases damage of cat shot. (3 upgrades if Kitty catsuit is used instead)
CAT package: Increases fire rate of cat shot. (3 upgrades)
CatCat: Adds a second cat shot.

Bat catsuit is another obvious choice, the more damage the better. I use CAT package lastly but it really helps when escaping from opponents or when you need more range than the turret can give you. CatCat is useful mostly to fight creepers, droids and/or Awesomenauts that are around you.

Others

If I'm high-leveled enough to use the second health upgrade, I'll use it in combination to the first one, or use Solar tree over the one that costs solar.

Otherwise, I use either of these upgrades to start with:

- Solar Tree
- Piggy Bank
- Power Pills

OR

- Power Pills Turbo
- Piggy Bank
- Solar Tree

OR

- Power Pills Turbo
- Power Pills
- Solar Tree

OR

- Power Pills Turbo
- Power Pills
- Piggy Bank
---
PSN: MounirJemily
#2BigSharkZ(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2012 2:30:53 PM(edited)
I rarely use the speed upgrade as it's not really necessary if you know how to properly escape from enemies.

Using Solar Tree greatly helps as I always end up at level 30 to 45 at the end of a match. Piggy Bank helps if I'm playing against more advanced players and want Solar Tree for free, otherwise I don't need it, although it is good if I want Derpl's main weapons at the beginning of a match, however I must not use Solar Tree for that.

If I only use Piggy Bank and not Solar Tree, then I pick up the Turret upgrade, then get some solar from creeps, teleport and get the Grid Trap / Nuke upgrade. Then, it's a matter of camping at the right places and putting traps properly. One trapped enemy is a guaranteed kill in the beginning of the match. As opponents upgrade their health, I simply upgrade the Nuke's power (Hydrocollision lava lamp) unil it's maxed out. I then upgrade its explosion size (Combustion lava lamp) so I can have more range with the Nuke by hiding where turrets don't hit me.

By then I should already have an easy killing spree (Others that played with me should know what I mean by this) and I proceed to upgrade the turret first with more power, then the shield, then the knockback effect. Once the turret is fully upgraded, I upgrade the grid trap. The cats are really the last thing you want to upgrade, starting with firing two cats, then more power, then more fire rate.

As for upgrades I do not use:

Grid Trap / Nuke

Strengthened trap: Increases lifetime of grid trap.

I honestly think the grid trap without this upgrade stays for a long enough time. It's perfect when I need to escape from someone and mess around putting traps, mostly near turrets and get a revenge kill on them.

Lead casing: Adds a silencing effect to grid trap.

Honestly, even if I have not tried it, I don't think it's necessary as a trapped Awesomenaut is almost always a guaranteed kill.

Turret

Sniper bullets: Increases range of turretshot.

While this sounds nice, having a knockback effect, a shield and more power is a much better combination, and if you want more range, go for the cats.

Deployments Pads: Reduces cooldown on siege mode.

I have absolutely no problems, I repeat, no problems with the current cooldown so I don't find this useful at all.

Cat shot

Longcat: Increases the range of cat shot.

With the CatCat upgrade, you have more than enough range so this is not needed.

Hover cat: Makes your cats fly up.

As cool as this sounds, I don't find it useful either, atleast not as useful as the other upgrades.

And that's about it. If you need further questions, just ask me. Of course, this character is still very new so better builds can be possible, but this worked 100% of the time for me, unless I was in a bad team, which in that case I still did a good job myself.
---
#3BigSharkZ(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2012 3:09:35 PM
If it helps, I farm a lot in this game, killing creeps anytime I can. Heck, I even kill my own droids with the worm (And the enemy's so we aren't at a disadvantage) to get more solar. Grid traps are also wonderful to protect your base. I think a Derpl teamed up with Voltar and Yuri is possibly the best team ever, if the two others are built around healing. Derpl can easily take care of the offense by himself if he's protected like I've been in one match.
---
#4Ferd_Da_BirdPosted 7/24/2012 5:26:29 PM
How to play Derpl:

-Sit at turret on AI Station 404

-Max shot upgrades

-Insta-deck any melee characters

-Get Legendary

-Auto-win if your allies aren't braindead

-Slam face on controller

-Throw PS3 down stairs

-Realize your allies ARE braindead

-Make the game last 10,000,000 years by never moving

-The enemies die from old age

-YOU WIN.
---
Come follow me.. Come follow me... Give the wheel a spin, maybe you'll be lucky enough to find the secret yourself. Plunge... into the dusk; and into your soul.
#5Sol4688Posted 7/24/2012 6:06:08 PM
^ This guy knows what he's talking about!
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal