Anyone played it yet?

#1agpicklePosted 6/10/2011 12:43:47 PM

It looks pretty interesting. How is it?

#2skullman1Posted 6/10/2011 2:44:36 PM
I don't normally buy games on a whim (especially not from developers/publishers I've never heard of), but I may end up breaking that rule before the day is out.
#3HarryBawlsPosted 6/10/2011 5:49:58 PM
quick reveiw if you take the plunge please.
#4gijasPosted 6/10/2011 7:52:14 PM
I to might take a risk and buy. Looks like a good game.
#5gijasPosted 6/10/2011 8:07:52 PM

Here's some more information from Voodoo Extreme:

Storm Is Coming Jun 08, 2011 at 9:31 AM - -1313-Evil_Homer - 3 Comments Watch out, PC strategists! Game publisher Just A Game will release the action-packed strategy title Storm – Frontline Nation this month. In turn-based battles the PC game created by Swedish developer Colossai Studios deals with the imminent collapse of the world due to a lack of resources. With the adequate mix of diplomacy, research and fighting spirit players control the fate of their countries in order to win last reserves. Tactical ingenuity and far-reaching freedom of action on an extremely large playing field guarantee perfect entertainment and a permanently fascinating gaming experience for digital generals. Face the crisis offensively The precarious economic situation and a lack of resources make conflicts inevitable. Genre fans choose from two strategical campaigns to lift their favoured nation out of the crisis. They either team up with Germany, France, England, Russia or the USA to experience a fictional story or struggle for world domination in skirmish and online missions. The latter campaign offers 45 nations to choose from. In strategical and tactical modes, players act as diplomats or aggressors on a world map divided into more than 500 sectors and with more than 100 real cities. Depending on the weather, the 20 upgradeable units reach their destinations quickly or slowly due to the dynamic weather simulation and regular changes between day and night. Cleverness prevails Alliances with other countries, loyalty towards one's own people and the deployment of weapons of mass destruction influence the player's standing on the continent and with the allied nations. Players can grant right of way, sign war pacts or defence treaties and use spies to plan wicked intrigues. Those who do not neglect research in military technologies will get access to stronger chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. Tactitians not only use them in single-player mode but also to efficiently expand their sphere of influence in multiplayer sessions via LAN or internet.

#6silvercouragePosted 6/12/2011 5:43:01 AM
I took the plunge. Storm: Frontline Nation can be described best as as Axis and Allies styled turn based campaign map with the addition of Panzer General styled turn based tactical battles if you choose (there is also an auto-resolve option). Reminds me a lot of Shattered Union (older PC title) with a more ambitious strategy attempt.

Some minor language barriers. Not very intuitive game play. Tutorials are not very complete and can be frustrating because you can
t jump to a part of the tutorial you want. Most are fairly short >1m but it can be a minor burr.

No load menu from game screen is minor annoyance. You have to quit and reload. Total game load time can be 1-3 minutes. It is fun with a little trial and error, but I enjoy these styled games so was a little more patient than most. I also recognized it was a foreign development ported to English and so was expecting a certain amount of "friction" or otherwise lack of polish.

It will certainly benefit from some patches and additional polish (better manual, load options, more intuitive group unit selections, etc, etc... (list would be pretty long).

The main website doesn't even have a forum for asking questions so it can get frustrating when you know the game wants to allow you to say, establish a diplomacy agreement to land your troops on another country's soil, but it takes awhile to stumble on exactly how with no fan base to ask.

Overall however I am enjoying it because I enjoy/ed Axis and Allies and Panzer General. I also really enjoyed Shattered Union. Money well spent and pleases me to know my money goes towards making these types of games viable.

Hope that helps,
--AOM
#7Liubei666Posted 6/12/2011 10:09:23 AM
Some of us are still unable to play the game after being tricked by Steam. Here in the UK the steam store says the release date is the 10th june and the game even features on the home page. However after purchasing it you are told that the game is not yet released by the games library.
---
who is better bobo or jongo?-psp0101
LIVE IS DOWN!!!
#8gijasPosted 6/12/2011 11:54:23 AM
silvercourage posted...
I took the plunge. Storm: Frontline Nation can be described best as as Axis and Allies styled turn based campaign map with the addition of Panzer General styled turn based tactical battles if you choose (there is also an auto-resolve option). Reminds me a lot of Shattered Union (older PC title) with a more ambitious strategy attempt. Some minor language barriers. Not very intuitive game play. Tutorials are not very complete and can be frustrating because you can t jump to a part of the tutorial you want. Most are fairly short >1m but it can be a minor burr. No load menu from game screen is minor annoyance. You have to quit and reload. Total game load time can be 1-3 minutes. It is fun with a little trial and error, but I enjoy these styled games so was a little more patient than most. I also recognized it was a foreign development ported to English and so was expecting a certain amount of "friction" or otherwise lack of polish. It will certainly benefit from some patches and additional polish (better manual, load options, more intuitive group unit selections, etc, etc... (list would be pretty long). The main website doesn't even have a forum for asking questions so it can get frustrating when you know the game wants to allow you to say, establish a diplomacy agreement to land your troops on another country's soil, but it takes awhile to stumble on exactly how with no fan base to ask. Overall however I am enjoying it because I enjoy/ed Axis and Allies and Panzer General. I also really enjoyed Shattered Union. Money well spent and pleases me to know my money goes towards making these types of games viable. Hope that helps, --AOM

I to thought this game looked like a larger version of Shattered Union. I loved that game also. I have some questions -

On the main site it states that you can play 45 countries - are these limited in Europe or can you play China, North Korea, Russia or the USA?

Is the area map limited to Europe and Northern Africa or is it a global map meaning the enitre earth to play on? How long does it take to complete turns time wise? Are there options to set turn limits, AI aggresiveness, random events, spy's and assisians, etc.. ?

Is the diplomacy element in depth or simple?

Thanks.
#9David ChengPosted 6/15/2011 11:11:58 PM
As I read from most sites, the maps are limited to Europe only & the 45 countries are just from Europe plus USA. I wish it includes Israel & the Middle East.
---
Most anticipated : Batman Arkham City, RE : Operation Raccoon City, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, Mario Party 9, Dawn of Fantasy
#10silvercouragePosted 6/17/2011 12:52:39 PM
Limited to Europe. 45 Countries are nearly all European (US is an exception). No China.

US player gets a foothold in North Africa as a starting point. For balance, it is assumed that US is stretched thin globally and so you pretty much are on your own.

I can totally understand the reviewers that hammer this game in the scores, but again, I like this kind of game and I also see a lot of potential to polish it into an even funner experience.

--AOM