Scenario Mission Series, part 1 up on steam [Co-op 8]

#1Hellfire-1Posted 10/18/2013 2:48:35 PM
Hello fellow ARMA holics!

We really should have a mod/missions showcase subforum on the ARMA page, but alas, no such luck.

Just wanted to say that I have a mission series started for ARMA 3, and part 1 is up on the workshop finally, after a ridiculous amount of testing.

It's a 12 part Scenario mission series, meant to be played as Co-op with 8 other players, either through LAN or Internet. It theoretically can be solo'd, but it's hard to do. That being said, I tested it myself solo, and with a group, and I completed it both times.

These missions will test your teamwork and planning, and usually have some environmental factor as well (ex: mission starts at 6:30pm, the longer you drag out the mission, the darker it gets) and have a number of aids that you can choose to use or leave alone, these being things like the Virtual Ammo Box, and a Mobile HQ that can be deployed as a forward command post.

All players are limited to 5 lives, and the Mobile HQ will NOT re spawn if destroyed. All missions have clearly marked tasks, and have a description for each. Auto waypoints are disabled, so if you find yourself lost about what to do, it's wise to check the map, and read up on your current task! Also the briefing and attached subcategories will always contain useful info about the missions. So basically, when in doubt, read up on your objectives!

I'm looking at getting a mission out every two to three weeks, provided my development and testing phases hit no snags. I've put everything inside a collection on steam to make things easier to find as well, so no need to track down each individual mission!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186754378

The link to the collection is above^

If anyone has any suggestions for future missions, bug reports, or just comments in general, do let me know!
---
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#2drew4793Posted 10/19/2013 3:03:00 PM
I'll be honest, I have regrets even looking at "self promotion" type posts...

However I checked it out, because it's ARMA.

I played it with 5 other guys today, so we were short 2 people, but it wasn't a huge deal.

My comments:
->Let me start by saying I loved it! :) It took us 2h 15 to finish it with 6 guys, but it was a great balance of difficulty and tactics, and never felt like it was cheap. The music bits were a nice touch. I added your mission to my coop collection of my own. :)

->We used the virtual ammo box, so we ended up removing our NV goggles... Then we got into town an hour later and the sun was almost setting, and 15 min later we were fighting blind and surrounded. You may want to stick a hint that NV goggles are needed? (although, maybe on hindsight this was just us being stupid)

-> We got hit one area where the HEMTT mobile spawn took an AT rocket, and blew up. We waited for it to respawn, but it never did. Is that a bug?

-> The A.I entered a house we were huddling inside, and ambushed us in the rear lobby, and another time were inside a house taking shots through the windows. Is this standard A.I behavior, or did you modify them? It totally caught us all off guard.

-> Other than those, I've no questions. Keep at it, good sir! Looking forward to updates.

**Also though you might like to know it's currently on the front page of the arma workshop popularity wise, and top of the list for collections currently. Cheers!
#3Hellfire-1(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2013 9:22:14 AM
drew4793 posted...
I'll be honest, I have regrets even looking at "self promotion" type posts...

However I checked it out, because it's ARMA.

I played it with 5 other guys today, so we were short 2 people, but it wasn't a huge deal.

My comments:
->Let me start by saying I loved it! :) It took us 2h 15 to finish it with 6 guys, but it was a great balance of difficulty and tactics, and never felt like it was cheap. The music bits were a nice touch. I added your mission to my coop collection of my own. :)

->We used the virtual ammo box, so we ended up removing our NV goggles... Then we got into town an hour later and the sun was almost setting, and 15 min later we were fighting blind and surrounded. You may want to stick a hint that NV goggles are needed? (although, maybe on hindsight this was just us being stupid)

-> We got hit one area where the HEMTT mobile spawn took an AT rocket, and blew up. We waited for it to respawn, but it never did. Is that a bug?

-> The A.I entered a house we were huddling inside, and ambushed us in the rear lobby, and another time were inside a house taking shots through the windows. Is this standard A.I behavior, or did you modify them? It totally caught us all off guard.

-> Other than those, I've no questions. Keep at it, good sir! Looking forward to updates.

**Also though you might like to know it's currently on the front page of the arma workshop popularity wise, and top of the list for collections currently. Cheers!

Why thank you! :) Always nice to hear my missions are doing well.

To answer you questions:

1.) I really would rather keep it as it is currently in regards to hints. It's already rather liberal with hints as it is, and I wanted people to actually use the resources they had at their disposal. Too many ARMA missions seem to spoonfeed the player all the info they need, in my opinion. I want the players to use things like the map, the compass, and their watches to obtain additional details, without me having to neccessarily outright say it. However, if multiple people end up voicing the same opinion, I may change it simply for the betterment of public demand.

2.) No, that is an intentional feature. In fact, I listed it in the first post of this thread :P Basically, I wanted players to be mindful of their resources. If you get yourself into a position where your mobile HQ gets destroyed, you will be forced to live with those consequences. The HEMTT HQ should not be anywhere near the front lines, and so I added that as a punishment for players that attempt to "Rambo" their way through ARMA 3. (note: I'm not saying you did that, I'm just saying why I made the feature like so)

3.) Yes, the A.I have had a boost, both through Urban Patrol Script, and some edits of my own. Nifty huh? :)

Thanks again for your comments, they mean a lot!

An update for the mission is being launched tonight at around 9pm EST, it adds a post game screen, and fixes a few spelling mistakes that people have cued me in on. Other than that however, it remains the same!
---
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.