project cafe should use cartridges

#1her0finityPosted 6/2/2011 1:01:31 PM
im tired of my games getting scratched up and becoming unplayable, or having the disk feeder/tray get messed up, i have to send it in for repairs.
---
I hope someone sets you on fire her0- MadcowVII
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/9967/51419547.jpg
#2VoxwikPosted 6/2/2011 1:03:54 PM
There are only two times I've ever had a disc get so scratched up it stopped working right:
1.) When I lent FFVII to my cousins and disc 2 got scratched somehow.
2.) When I lent Super Mario Sunshine to my nephew and it returned looking like he used sandpaper on it (he didn't).
#3Big_IsaacPosted 6/2/2011 1:09:55 PM
my PS2 started eating my FFX and X-2 disks for some reason.
I rented them to a friend of mine and when I got them back, his PS2 nibbled on them so much that they wouldn't play any more

I have no idea why. that's the only 2 games I ever had that happen with

also, Sony had the oh-so fantastic idea of UMDs
they should totally keep them xDDDDD
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF rankings (out of 10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 7.5, VII: 6, VIII: 3, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 8.5, XII: 8
#4dunkisPosted 6/2/2011 3:23:11 PM
Actually, with the way they make the 3DS carts, I was wondering if they'd be able to make like a floppy disc-sized cart. And it's not so much the cart durability that would appeal to me, it's the lack of a disc drive. Two times now my Wii's drive has broke. I'm reluctant to even send it in again because it was Black Ops' fault but it's just "a coincidence" that all our Wiis happen to be breaking.

That probably won't happen though because optical discs are the standard medium so they'd like to have some compatibility.
---
3DS 3394-3558-7825
#5darkstriker00Posted 6/2/2011 4:33:47 PM
Make the cartridges Micro-SD sized and you have a deal.
---
PSN-darkstriker00
#6I_R_WINNERPosted 6/2/2011 5:20:31 PM(edited)
I'm with you bro cartridges are awesome. Reduced load times, more durable, classic, look nicer, can save directly on games, harder to pirate, no disk drive problems etc. I would like them about N64 size maybe a little smaller.

I highly doubt it would happen unfortunately. They would still have to include a disk drive for DVDs blue rays Wii games Gamecube games (possibly) and CDs so it would cost too much to have both.
---
dont buy a 360 unless you just want a room heater
#7daitsuwamonoPosted 6/2/2011 7:37:53 PM
Nostalgia and user convenience are insignificant to their choice of media. The hard, real-life fact is that flash ROM has a much higher cost-per-storage ratio than optical discs. This is why N64 games were markedly more expensive than games for the original PlayStation, even though the highest-capacity N64 cartridges stored 64 MB, while every PlayStation disc--each a mostly ordinary CD--could store 650 MB. Both semiconductor storage and optical discs have advanced since then, but the cost disparity still applies. Look at retail storage media right now: A 32 GB SDHC card is $40 on NewEgg. A 50 GB rewriteable Blu-Ray disc is $25.

If you need more evidence, look at the 3DS. Yes, it uses cartridges, but it was released only a few months ago and what's the storage limit is for games? Two whole gigabytes. That's all the flash memory Nintendo and its pals are willing to pay for in each card. That's completely unsuitable for media containing console titles.
#8TeremeiPosted 6/2/2011 7:44:24 PM
Return to cartridges Nintendo! It's not like back in the N64 days, today SD cards and different carts like that are probably alot easier to put data onto. If there is no extra difficulty getting games on a cartridge then I would be totally in favor of Nintendo going back to cartridges.
---
last $$: Hyperdimention Neptunia, Ys Chronicles, Radiant Historia, DQVI
Playing: Jeanne D'arc, Hyperdimention Neptunia
#91stbasemanbeckPosted 6/2/2011 8:16:33 PM
daitsuwamono posted...
Nostalgia and user convenience are insignificant to their choice of media. The hard, real-life fact is that flash ROM has a much higher cost-per-storage ratio than optical discs. This is why N64 games were markedly more expensive than games for the original PlayStation, even though the highest-capacity N64 cartridges stored 64 MB, while every PlayStation disc--each a mostly ordinary CD--could store 650 MB. Both semiconductor storage and optical discs have advanced since then, but the cost disparity still applies. Look at retail storage media right now: A 32 GB SDHC card is $40 on NewEgg. A 50 GB rewriteable Blu-Ray disc is $25.

If you need more evidence, look at the 3DS. Yes, it uses cartridges, but it was released only a few months ago and what's the storage limit is for games? Two whole gigabytes. That's all the flash memory Nintendo and its pals are willing to pay for in each card. That's completely unsuitable for media containing console titles.

This. Another downside to cartridges is the batteries eventually dying but I suppose this would be fixed nowadays with some way to copy savegames elsewhere
---
NIER has become my favorite game of all time. It may not be perfect but it sure has the best story and music. Please go buy it new if you can, it's like $10.
#10_l_l_l_l_l_l_l_Posted 6/2/2011 8:50:15 PM
1stbasemanbeck posted...
daitsuwamono posted...

This. Another downside to cartridges is the batteries eventually dying but I suppose this would be fixed nowadays with some way to copy savegames elsewhere

That was only a problem for SNES and some N64 games. Most N64 games used EEPROM or Flash RAM which don't die out like batteries.

They should just make games that you can save your files on the disk.
---
Not changing sig till I feel like it.
Started: who cares