I say no cartridges OR discs...heres the idea

#1pika23Posted 6/3/2011 4:57:05 AM
Make it 4g wifi and all games would be sold as a card that you scratch to enter the game pin online.... Then again. Re selling would be done for...so yeah...it was just a thought I'd put out there
---
lost 113.6 pounds on Weight watchers since Feb 2009 & 67 to go...updating sig weekly
#2guncrashdxPosted 6/3/2011 5:33:49 AM
No.
---
My name is guncrashdx, but you can just call me TC.
#3Auzzie_WingmanPosted 6/3/2011 5:40:52 AM
Pffft...
Nintendo doesn't believe in Steam.
---
---Ninja of the Layton VS Gyakuten Boards---3DS Friend Code: 1246 - 8736 - 6899
As a ninja, I can teleport, high jump, throw knives, and play exploding violins
#4EoinPosted 6/3/2011 6:34:14 AM
1. You'd be cutting retailers out of the market. Sure, you can say "sell games as a scratch card in shops", but retail are not going to support that. You saw what happened with the PSP Go - retailers hated it and gave it as little promotion and shelf space as they could.

2. Not everyone has broadband. And you can't just say "make it 4G Wifi" either, because those are actually different things (in fact, different sets of things), and 4G is just starting what is going to be a very slow rollout.

3. This seems to take some people by surprise but: bandwidth costs money. It's not free and when you're talking about multi-gigabyte games being downloaded by tens of millions of people, it's actually quite expensive. It doesn't scale either - as your bandwidth needs increase, your marginal costs for adding additional bandwidth also increase. Over the lifetime of the console (assuming that it is relatively successful), with typical software attach rates you'd be talking tens or hundreds of exabits worth of bandwidth (over and above the bandwidth required anyway, for online play and other online services).

4. Some people prefer physical things that they can hold in their hand. Lots more people think that they prefer physical things, even if they would actually prefer a downloadable version if they tried it. Both of these sets of people would not purchase a download-only console.
#5leeko_linkPosted 6/3/2011 8:37:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6leeko_linkPosted 6/3/2011 8:38:13 AM
"Make it 4g wifi and all games would be sold as a card that you scratch to enter the game pin online.... Then again. Re selling would be done for...so yeah...it was just a thought I'd put out there"

What's the point of selling them as card when you are still required to download them online anyways?
#7Izick_the_SpyPosted 6/3/2011 8:43:44 AM
I think you all here would be interested in this video about the very thing you all are discussing:

http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-51-Putting-The-Cart-Before-The-Cloud
#8DavCubePosted 6/3/2011 10:32:53 AM
Soooo download only? No. Just no.

I'm all for downloading as AN option, but not the ONLY option.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube