Cafe to be the PS2 of the next generation

#1martyoytramPosted 6/4/2011 4:57:14 PM
http://thenintendostream.com/the-wii-2-is-the-ps2-of-the-next-gen/

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2011/04/19/wii-2-will-not-be-dreamcast-itll-be-the-playstation-2-of-next-gen/

This is just what I've been saying all along.
---
3DS: 3136-6572-7370
#2Izick_the_SpyPosted 6/4/2011 5:02:33 PM
Basically it means that it will be on a similar scale to PS4 and Xbox 3, but that it will be weaker, and likely the games won't look as good on it...

...that being said it also shares another trait with PS2! It will be the first console to come out for the next generation. This means that most games will be developed for it in mind, since it will already have a big install base come PS4 and Xbox 3 launch.

So, take it this way Nintendonites....the Cafe will not look quite as good as the PS4/Xbox 3, but it still will have all the games, and I can live with that.
#3CelebratoxPosted 6/4/2011 5:27:01 PM(edited)
Well really it is very similar to the situation Sony was in.

PSX absolutely stole the market from Nintendo back then and was by far the highest selling console. Sony was on top of the world back then, and Nintendo has had pretty much the same exact experience with the Wii.

Enter the Cafe, something much much more powerful than the Wii but probably won't be as powerful as MS or Sony's next consoles - just like the PS2's story (the PS2 was a good clip less powerful than the GC or Xbox, especially in its GPU).

Like Sony with the PS2, Nintendo is going to get an amazing head start in the next generation with a consumer/developer-friendly console that's coming during a time when the current generation is getting stale and people are "too used" to current graphics. The Cafe will appear with jaw dropping new games and steal the show, again, just like the PS2 did. I have a feeling the PS4/Xbox 720 definitely be more powerful than the Cafe, but not so much more powerful as to not be able to port their games to the Cafe. It won't be a huge gap like the Wii vs 360/PS3 again, but probably more like the difference between the PS2 and the others.

SEGA and MS failed to copy the PS2's early-to-market mega success with the Dreamcast and 360 because they were too early and people weren't done with the current generations yet. Luckily the 360 had godlike power for 2005 and was built to last, unlike the Dreamcast.

---
ASUS Sabertooth P67] i7 2600k @4.5 GHz w/Antec Kuhler] Corsair 8GB 1866] EVGA GTX 580] Acer HN274H 27"] Windows 7 64] Corsair CMPSU-850HX] Nvidia 3D Vision
#4lp913Posted 6/4/2011 5:20:32 PM
Izick_the_Spy posted...
Basically it means that it will be on a similar scale to PS4 and Xbox 3, but that it will be weaker, and likely the games won't look as good on it...

...that being said it also shares another trait with PS2! It will be the first console to come out for the next generation. This means that most games will be developed for it in mind, since it will already have a big install base come PS4 and Xbox 3 launch.

So, take it this way Nintendonites....the Cafe will not look quite as good as the PS4/Xbox 3, but it still will have all the games, and I can live with that.

Which should put most, if not all Nintendo console gamers at ease since this is pretty much the scenario they wanted from the beginning during the Wii/PS3/360 generation.
---
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020] [GE007 FC: 1237-3974-3165] [COD: BO FC: 2463-7578-3340] [TvC: UAS FC: 2923-0604-8719] [SW3 FC: 0045-9248-8653]
#5martyoytram(Topic Creator)Posted 6/4/2011 5:24:06 PM
Wait! I just thought of something! What if Nintendo's been planning this all along! They're evil marketing geniuses!
---
3DS: 3136-6572-7370
#6Izick_the_SpyPosted 6/4/2011 5:34:00 PM(edited)
lp913 posted...
Izick_the_Spy posted...

Which should put most, if not all Nintendo console gamers at ease since this is pretty much the scenario they wanted from the beginning during the Wii/PS3/360 generation.

Exactly!

So, I think if Cafe takes off, and it will, it will just prove how crucial launching first is in the next generation of consoles, then again, if you launch to soon, you end up with half tech, like the almighty Dreamcast, so it's still a tight rope.

Basically, if we get Battlefield 4, MGS 5, CoD 4 on this thing, it appeases the release of multiplatform games, and gamers will be happy, because they get multplat games, PLUS the best 1st party games around, so they get their cake and eat it as well this gen.

I just have a feeling this thing is just going to be such a great return to form in terms of quality gaming....I can't wait!!!!
#7xCha0sPosted 6/4/2011 6:33:30 PM
nintendo planned to struggle with sales and release a new handheld and console to keep up with the 360 and PS3? lol
#8LHS_2012Posted 6/4/2011 7:05:26 PM
xCha0s posted...
nintendo planned to struggle with sales and release a new handheld and console to keep up with the 360 and PS3? lol

Errr... What? You're gonna need to clarify there buddy. While you're at it, clarify the rest too.
---
No copyright law in the UNIVERSE can stop me!!
Gamertag: Starfish Hero
#9Puzzler_AaronPosted 6/4/2011 7:12:09 PM

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

"We created a diversion with the Wii! We made a stupid console so Microsoft and Sony would waste millions on stupid motion technology as well, and now here's the Cafe! The best thing ever!"

Haha, I'd die if that was real

#10powblock1983Posted 6/4/2011 7:12:18 PM
First to enter next gen. Gets a lot of games. Has weaker graphics later on but still, has more games developed for it.

If the online service is like PSN and XBL, this will be a huge step forward for Nintendo.
---
---
PC Message Board: The only place will you can get trolled to death just for talking about older technology.