Haptic technology?

#1NDfanjeffPosted 6/4/2011 8:56:54 PM
I searched the board and couldn't find anything on this, but I read the cafe's wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Caf%C3%A9)

and I saw this:

"On May 2, 2011, Swedish site Loading.se reported that the console's final name will be "Nintendo Feel." According to the article, the controller's touchscreen (and possibly the entire surface of the controller) will use haptic technology to allow players to feel in-game textures. The site also claims that the technology behind the Wii Vitality Sensor will become a key feature of Feel.[30]"

"Haptic technology, or haptics, is a tactile feedback technology that takes advantage of a user's sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user."

Interesting..
---
Babylon is falling down, everybody losing control
#2ninty_fanboyPosted 6/4/2011 9:41:47 PM
Apart from rumble, I can see no way this could work. So when Samus touches the Phazon in a Metroid Prime game, will I feel the pain?
---
Cardinal of the Zelda WT Board under rule of kamikazetomato.
vooks.net - Not just another shameless ad
#3Fanch234Posted 6/4/2011 9:53:49 PM
if they use it on the handles of the controller it could be used almost exactly like rumble is.
---
cool beans
#4AZN_FLiPSTAHPosted 6/4/2011 10:38:34 PM
So the controller is a shakeweight?
---
Conduit 2 - The^Neeko
MH3 - Sir Nico (49W5EB)
#5Someguy_13Posted 6/4/2011 10:58:27 PM

Apart from rumble, I can see no way this could work. So when Samus touches the Phazon in a Metroid Prime game, will I feel the pain?

That would be bad ass.
---
Brawl FC: 1633-3855-5205
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#6Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 12:49:07 AM
I highly doubt this is legit, but I did hear a rumor about the touchscreen possibly using a technology that allows you to feel texture on the screen. I can't recall the name of the technology, but it uses varying electrical frequencies to simulate the feeling of touching something smooth, something soft, something bumpy, something rough, etc. Interesting stuff.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#7NDfanjeff(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2011 9:24:37 AM
Solid Link posted...
I highly doubt this is legit, but I did hear a rumor about the touchscreen possibly using a technology that allows you to feel texture on the screen. I can't recall the name of the technology, but it uses varying electrical frequencies to simulate the feeling of touching something smooth, something soft, something bumpy, something rough, etc. Interesting stuff.

Thats what haptic technology is
---
Babylon is falling down, everybody losing control
#8Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 9:45:49 AM(edited)
NDfanjeff posted...
Thats what haptic technology is

I thought haptic was where, something gets knocked in-game, and YOU get moved? You know, the sort of sci-fi immersion we're likely never going to get physically, so we'll have to emulate it with mental stimulation.

In fact, your quote supports my original post:
"Haptic technology, or haptics, is a tactile feedback technology that takes advantage of a user's sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user."

Forces, vibrations and motions. The thing I was referring to was simply textural feeling, not actual motion.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#9P4wn4g3Posted 6/5/2011 12:44:30 PM
The Android Phone employs Haptic feedback for their on-screen buttons. When you press a key on the touch-screen, the phone rumbles.
---
~(Certified Topic Killer)~
~Rank: Platinum (100% topic killing efficiency)
#10Banjo2553Posted 6/5/2011 12:46:46 PM
This would be cool if implemented.
---
Here's my Backloggery!: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz