Haptic technology?

#11P4wn4g3Posted 6/5/2011 1:13:23 PM
It is going to be implemented, and it's just a fancy name for a rumble pack. Well whatever, there's no stopping unbending fanboyism...
---
~(Certified Topic Killer)~
~Rank: Platinum (100% topic killing efficiency)
#12Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 1:21:42 PM
CuBes, it's not fanboyism to speculate that a console might use a new technology (read: touch screens that simulate textures), based off of a rumor. Fanboyism would be claiming that this feature would kill all competition. Saying we'd want this kind of feature is simple wishing.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#13P4wn4g3Posted 6/5/2011 1:29:34 PM
From all of the official sources I've seen, Haptic technology will be implemented. Admittedly I could be wrong, but Haptic technology itself isn't anything special.

The implementation of a touch screen that allows people to actually feel the textures that are represented on-screen would be an expensive bit of technology to implement at best. I'm not sure that this kind of technology even exists currently, although as I said, it's possible to emulate, but it would be a very expensive device to make.

Still, I guess they might have the means.
---
#14MooglePeruPosted 6/5/2011 7:11:56 PM

Apart from rumble, I can see no way this could work. So when Samus touches the Phazon in a Metroid Prime game, will I feel the pain?

I actually dreamed with something like this years ago, back when the 64 was still fresh and new.

I dreamed that I was playing a Mega Man X game wearing a weird X-like armor that was connected to the system. Everytime that I was damaged, I could feel the pain that X felt. And when I died (by spikes) the pain was so inmense that I woke up.

The intensity of that dream was so big that it has stuck with me forever, even if I dreamed it when I was 9 years old.
---
Official Kupo King of the ZSS Boards and The Moogle Army-of-Two-
Visita www.youtube.com/user/Mooglecito para musica de videojuegos 24/7
#15Stompy319Posted 6/5/2011 11:27:10 PM
That's hardcore
---
I'm Freaky Styley and I'm proud.
#16Saint Dragon OsirisPosted 6/5/2011 11:37:26 PM
Wow, emos are going to be lining up for this thing in droves.
---
We must formulate keikaku. "Keikaku" means plan! - Argosy Captain
#17mercurythewhitePosted 6/6/2011 1:23:35 AM

I actually dreamed with something like this years ago, back when the 64 was still fresh and new.

I dreamed that I was playing a Mega Man X game wearing a weird X-like armor that was connected to the system. Everytime that I was damaged, I could feel the pain that X felt. And when I died (by spikes) the pain was so inmense that I woke up.

The intensity of that dream was so big that it has stuck with me forever, even if I dreamed it when I was 9 years old.

God, imagine all the lawsuits and shrink bills if any of that were to be reality...
---
White Light, White Heat.
#18ObturatorPosted 6/6/2011 9:10:45 AM
Solid Link posted...
I highly doubt this is legit, but I did hear a rumor about the touchscreen possibly using a technology that allows you to feel texture on the screen. I can't recall the name of the technology, but it uses varying electrical frequencies to simulate the feeling of touching something smooth, something soft, something bumpy, something rough, etc. Interesting stuff.

If Nintendo pulls off a touch reactive screen like you just described they just may have the golden egg to sell like the Wii did.

I for one would buy in.
---
Yea, I thought so.
#19Solid LinkPosted 6/6/2011 9:16:20 PM
Obturator posted...
If Nintendo pulls off a touch reactive screen like you just described they just may have the golden egg to sell like the Wii did.

I for one would buy in.

Depends on how expensive it is, I guess. It's coming to Android phones and tablets sooner or later, so they'll either be first to the punch, or they'll miss out. I'm SURE Apple is interested in this too. It's an interesting new feature which, could be all they would need to sell a new revision of the iPhone or iPad.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#20P4wn4g3Posted 6/7/2011 9:30:12 AM
Here:

"Some simple haptic devices are common in the form of game controllers, in particular of joysticks and steering wheels. Early implementations were provided through optional components, such as the Nintendo 64 controller's Rumble Pak. Many newer generation console controllers and some joysticks feature built in feedback devices, including Sony's DualShock technology and the handheld remote controller for the Nintendo Wii. An example of this feature is the simulated automobile steering wheels that are programmed to provide a "feel" of the road. As the user makes a turn or accelerates, the steering wheel responds by resisting turns or slipping out of control."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haptic_technology

In case you were still wondering about Haptic technology.
---