one thing is certain - Project Cafe MUST be a mutlimedia machine

#41Gimea(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2011 6:46:42 AM
Obturator posted...
Eoin posted...
Obturator posted...
If it is a multimedia machine then I want one thing. It MUST be able to play multiple media sources at ONCE (And hopefully run more than one game at a time as well). This alone would sell me on the system.)

I'm a little bit confused by this. Especially the part of being able to play more than one game at a time.

I mean, it's not realistic to expect the machine to be able to play two games at once. To do that, the machine would have to restrict games to taking half the CPU time and half the memory that would otherwise be available for games. That's quite a heavy restriction.

What it might be able to do is quickly save the state of a game upon exit and load it when you go back to the game, so you can play a game, "pause" it, then play another one and at any time you like go back to the first game and be in the same place. PSP Go can do this, as can the iPhone to some extent.

I'm kind of unsure what you mean by multiple media sources at once as well. Or do you mean that it should be able to play different media on different controllers, assuming that the controller rumours are true? If so then that's actually quite realistic if the specs sit somewhere above the PS3.

It is quite realistic to expect the machine to play multiple games at once if they simply have a designation for such. Just like a multitasking PC a console can have multiple games playing (In fact this design has been tried before). Yes the full CPU/GPU/memory would not be available but not all games require that kind of horsepower. All Nintendo needs to do is set two specifications for developers, one for multi-games and another for stand alone.

From a hardware architectural standpoint, this seems to be where Nintendo is headed. We will probably know on Tuesday.

I must say though, the promise of the multiple screens would be wasted if the system did not use it. One of the biggest console letdowns is that only one person can play their game at a time. Perhaps I want to play tetris while hubby wants to play his shooter. Tetris takes few resources so why not?

Now it sounds good :) Project Cafe should indeed be easily capable of playing multiple Tetris games or other Wiiware games. However, running Tetris ALONGSIDE an all-out game would still take too much power.

In one day, we will see.
---
Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online
#42ObturatorPosted 6/6/2011 8:01:48 AM
Gimea posted...

Now it sounds good :) Project Cafe should indeed be easily capable of playing multiple Tetris games or other Wiiware games. However, running Tetris ALONGSIDE an all-out game would still take too much power.

In one day, we will see.

Not all games use 100% of the processor power (In fact very few do), especially if the architecture is similar to the PS3.

To be honest, the only I can see Cafe would selling me on the controller screen premise were if it could play multiple titles at one time.

The other feature I would pursue but we are not likely to see would be the ability to transfer and play 3ds games to the system (kind of like transfarrance)

We can only wait and see. Honestly, I know Nintendo to know well enough that my expectations as well as those of other people are usually wrong.
---
Yea, I thought so.