why can't nintendo just use a traditional controller?

#1WalkingLobstersPosted 6/5/2011 11:41:53 AM
inb4gimmicks with the touch screen controller
---
http://i49.tinypic.com/5l6hsj.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/11989xv.jpg
#2Prince ShondronaiPosted 6/5/2011 11:48:49 AM
See: GameCube sales figures.
---
Awesomest comic ever:
www.coarselimely.com
#3Big_IsaacPosted 6/5/2011 11:50:16 AM(edited)
Nintendo hasn't used a traditional controller since the SNES

N64: Gimmick: slot for add-ons
GC: Gimmick: dual analogs
Wii: Motion controls
Cafe: touch screen

it's all about definition.
if it enhances the gaming experience, why not include gimmicks?
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF rankings (out of 10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 7.5, VII: 6, VIII: 3, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 8.5, XII: 8
#4Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 11:51:27 AM(edited)
Because they're not Sony, who has rehashed the exact same controller for 15 years now. Which they got in the first place from SNES, so let's say, 20 years of rehashing? Microsoft is guilty of the same between Xbox and 360, though I have to give them credit for actually doing something different with Kinect, instead of copying the Wiimote verbatim like Sony did with Move.

Plus if Nintendo simply made an identical console to both of their competitors, they'd get stuck in the same rut they were with Gamecube. It didn't have enough to differentiate it from the competition, which didn't help considering it was lacking some of the power needed for third-party multiplatforming (like Wii). Now they're apparently addressing the power issue, but they can't ignore differentiation, in the face of two competitor consoles that are basically a mirror image of one another.

...Or Prince Shondronai just basically beats me to the punch with a simple one-liner, lol.
---
CM HAF 912|MSI 890FXA-GD65|AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz|XFX HD-6870 1GB
Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600|1TB SATA Spinpoint HDD|XFX 650W PSU|ASUS 23" LED LCD
#5mychemicalbertPosted 6/5/2011 11:52:06 AM
Rumor has it that it will be backwards compatible anyway. So you might be able to use the Classic Controller and Gamecube controller for certain games.
#6Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 11:55:25 AM
Big_Issac: Uhh, you're pretty much missing the defining feature of the N64 controller: The analog stick. Recall that the original Playstation controller was an SNES look-alike with four shoulder buttons. No sticks until well after N64. Also, Gamecube's innovation was intended to be the analog shoulder buttons with digital click. I sincerely hope they're making a comeback in Cafe.
---
#7Big_IsaacPosted 6/5/2011 11:57:37 AM
kinect is original? don't make me laugh
granted, it's less of a transparent, pathetic ripoff than the move, but it's a ripoff none the less

remember the Playstation eyetoy? it was a camera add-on for the PS2 that allowed you to play motion minigames by flailing your arms and body around
^essentially the exact same thing as the kinect, only about 8 (?) years earlier

what I give MS is that they took the barely function technology and made it work... kinda... not really
well, it works better than the eye toy at least, so they did something to improve it unlike Sony
---
My FF rankings (out of 10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 7.5, VII: 6, VIII: 3, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 8.5, XII: 8
#8Big_IsaacPosted 6/5/2011 12:05:09 PM
Solid Link posted...
Big_Issac: Uhh, you're pretty much missing the defining feature of the N64 controller: The analog stick. Recall that the original Playstation controller was an SNES look-alike with four shoulder buttons. No sticks until well after N64. Also, Gamecube's innovation was intended to be the analog shoulder buttons with digital click. I sincerely hope they're making a comeback in Cafe.

I edited the post and changed it from analog stick to the add-on slot
since I don't remember ANY other controller ever having something like this, I thought it'd be more unique

the point still stands, though
there hasn't been a "classic" - aka gimmick-free - nintendo controller for decades
---
#9Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 12:09:10 PM
kinect is original? don't make me laugh

I never said original, just that it was different from the Wiimote. Kinect is certainly similar to Eyetoy, although the two are fundamentally different in their operation. Eyetoy sees a 2-D image and basically contains hotspots that are activated when they're touched, whereas Kinect sees 3-D and works with actual movement. It definitely works better than Eyetoy, although I think it would've been more wise for Microsoft to hold Kinect over for their next console, pack it in with the system and make it the draw of the system instead of an additional toy. And of course, designing the system around Kinect would've allowed for pretty flawless operation, with unnoticeable movement lag.

On a side note, Eyetoy originally came from a Dreamcast peripheral, anyway. So not only did Sony kill Dreamcast with their blatant lies about PS2's performance, but then they looted its corpse in taking what became the Eyetoy.
---
#10Solid LinkPosted 6/5/2011 12:11:06 PM
I edited the post and changed it from analog stick to the add-on slot
since I don't remember ANY other controller ever having something like this, I thought it'd be more unique

I can't recall a controller earlier than N64 to include an expansion slot built-in, but I do know of another. Dreamcast, with the VMUs, remember?
---