Am I the only one who HATES the idea of a screen controller?

#11Starwars4JPosted 6/5/2011 7:28:59 PM
abort_mission posted...
i have a DS and i have owned plenty of games. some games use the dual screen in unique ways but most use it for maps. maps dont justify another screen

See and here I love the DS games that use the second screen for a map or inventory management. Much nicer than having it either clutter up the main screen, or have to pause and enter some submenu to access it.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#12blakbird13Posted 6/5/2011 7:29:39 PM
I'm concerned about the weight and balance of the controller but if you could detach it I would be happy.
#13xCha0sPosted 6/5/2011 7:29:59 PM
Why would anyone want to have to look at two screens?

*cough* nintendo ds
#14thetravmanPosted 6/5/2011 7:30:31 PM

Anyone play Four Swords Adventures? That required you to watch the GBA screen when you enter a house or cavern in multiplayer so everyone has more freedom. That's a great idea to usea seperate screen. Just because you can't think of any uses, doesn't make it impossible. Sure there will be developers who use it poorly, but try not think of the dark times.

#15abort_missionPosted 6/5/2011 7:36:17 PM
Starwars4J posted...
abort_mission posted...
i have a DS and i have owned plenty of games. some games use the dual screen in unique ways but most use it for maps. maps dont justify another screen

See and here I love the DS games that use the second screen for a map or inventory management. Much nicer than having it either clutter up the main screen, or have to pause and enter some submenu to access it.

i like it too on a handheld. a handheld has small, low resolution screens. HUD and maps take up precious real estate.

but this isnt a small screen. most people have HDTVs so resolution isnt a problem. yeah its neat being able to look up and theres the map of the level. but is that novelty really worth spending extra money on an expensive controller? one that will break more easily? i have no problem pressing select or minus or whatever button goes to the map screen.
---
"Valid in 49 states. Sorry Tennessee!"
#16crispyo(Topic Creator)Posted 6/5/2011 7:44:35 PM
Well it being detachable is a slight relief, but it still means they're going to charge an extra 100 bucks or more for it. Sorry but the negatives outweigh the positives by a landslide. More than half the cons said here I didn't even think of when I posted this. I hate it even more now.

Oh, and in games like Mario Kart, why would you ever want to take your eye off the main screen? This would go the same for a lot of games. It's not like the DS were you could see both screens at the same time.
#17Starwars4JPosted 6/5/2011 7:51:19 PM
abort_mission posted...
i like it too on a handheld. a handheld has small, low resolution screens. HUD and maps take up precious real estate.

but this isnt a small screen. most people have HDTVs so resolution isnt a problem. yeah its neat being able to look up and theres the map of the level. but is that novelty really worth spending extra money on an expensive controller?

It's not just about the quality of the screens or the real estate, to me there's also a great element of immersion when the screen isn't cluttered up with all of that stuff. It can help bring gaming closer to that suspension of disbelief and erection of that fourth wall. Yes some games manage to be very immersive even with all of the clutter, but think how much better even that could be if it were all removed. Of course this is just my opinion and how I see it.

one that will break more easily? i have no problem pressing select or minus or whatever button goes to the map screen.

Eh, I don't exactly throw around my controllers, and my DS' are all in fine shape, so I don't see how this will break so much more easily. Especially given Nintendo's reputation with quality durable hardware.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#18faramir77Posted 6/5/2011 7:57:44 PM
No TC, you're not the only one here who isn't a completely blind fanboy who faithfully absorbs everything Nintendo puts out without question.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
#19I_R_WINNERPosted 6/5/2011 7:58:18 PM
faramir77 posted...
No TC, you're not the only one here who isn't a completely blind fanboy who faithfully absorbs everything Nintendo puts out without question.
WINNER
---
dont buy a 360 unless you just want a room heater
#20abort_missionPosted 6/5/2011 9:26:32 PM(edited)
Starwars4J posted...
It's not just about the quality of the screens or the real estate, to me there's also a great element of immersion when the screen isn't cluttered up with all of that stuff. It can help bring gaming closer to that suspension of disbelief and erection of that fourth wall. Yes some games manage to be very immersive even with all of the clutter, but think how much better even that could be if it were all removed. Of course this is just my opinion and how I see it.

yeah i know all about immersion. and lots of games have opted to use no HUD or a minimal HUD. for example Dead Space has your health bar on your characters spine. its part of his armor. Metro 2033 lets you keep track of your air time by pulling out your watch. plus your character breathing changes. you can pull out a piece of paper and look at your objective and if you need light to read it, you uses your lighter! talk about immersion! even Minecraft has a map that your character holds.

HD gaming makes it easier to add immersion because you can add little details into your game. the HUD isnt necessary. it never really has been. Resident Evil didnt have a HUD. in the 2nd game you could tell your health level by how you walked. if you limped you were low on health. Super Mario Bros on the NES had a minimal HUD. you could tell your health by the size of your character!

we should be moving away from HUDs. not moving towards a HUD that i pay extra for and keep in my lap... btw thats exactly what the Dreamcast VMU was expect it was cheaper.
---
"Valid in 49 states. Sorry Tennessee!"