The presentation (not nessersarilly the console) was a failure

#1shashmeerPosted 6/7/2011 10:46:35 AM
Before getting into whether the console itself will be a success or a failure, I'd say that they failed presenting it to both the press and those at home.

1. My initial worry is that by calling it the WII U they are falling into the same trap as the 3DS in that many casual "gamers" might mistake it for a Wii, not understanding that it is a completely new console.

2. While I understand they wanted to focus on the controller, by not mentioning the actual console in their keynote at all they have created a massive amount of confusion about what the console truly is.

3. giving no true information on specs or features I think is another MAJOR mistake. Will the online be as poor as the Wiis? Will the games simply be 360/PS3 games with added gimicky WiiU features? Will it be released early/mid/late 2012? How much will the individual pieces cost? etc

I think the biggest factor in whether this console will fail or not is how 3rd party support works on it.
As it is clearly not immensely more powerful than either the 360 or PS3 then developers are NOT going to be making that many exclusives for it.
As such most of these 3rd party games will simply be shared across all 3 platforms.
The reason this is a bad thing is that no developer is going to want t ospend an inordinate amount of time making the game have trully worthy WiiU features, instead opting for limited (most llikely tacked on) addtitions.

If this is truly the case for how 3rd party support will be on the system, then I don't think many people will want to have to buy a whole new console to be able to play the same games that their 5+ year old console can, just to have some added features
#2skawo93Posted 6/7/2011 10:47:44 AM
They're not releasing it now, I'm sure there will be plenty of info later.
---
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/skawo96/W.jpg
Run! Run away!
#3xerofyre0Posted 6/7/2011 10:48:11 AM
we must have been watching 2 different shows. the gameplay demo they showed of the bird cant be done with home consoles right now
---
http://www.down-rightfierce.com/2011/05/re-discovering-dreamcast-jet-grind.html
#4shashmeer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2011 11:00:48 AM
xerofyre0 posted...
we must have been watching 2 different shows. the gameplay demo they showed of the bird cant be done with home consoles right now

I'm sorry but that looked no different than any tech demo that has been produced in the last few years, take a look at Sony's conferences before the PS3 was released and you will see almost the same level of power. you are in denial

Hell look at any tech demo made by nvidia/epic over the past few years and you will see what true next gen features will look like.
#5blacksuperman22Posted 6/7/2011 11:03:36 AM(edited)
xerofyre0 posted...

you must be out of your mind if you think that they are alot of tech demos for the ps3 and 360 that looked better than nintendos and most of them were made years ago lol