is the wiiu backwards compatible with wii games?

#1klajdi6363Posted 6/8/2011 1:03:51 AM
will i be able to play wii games on the wiiu? if yes, then i might as well just sell it now and get SS for the woo
---
The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI
Shinnok for DLC!
#2Sonic CannonPosted 6/8/2011 1:04:51 AM
Yes. But it doesn't look like it works with Gamecube games or GC controllers.
---
Keep it green.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2s9x55l.png
#3Peeto87Posted 6/8/2011 1:06:27 AM
Yeah they seemed to announce that you could play GCN games before E3 but that looks gawn now.
---
~ Aussie
R.I.P Michael Jackson. The best there ever was. 26.6.09
#4RyuVegasPosted 6/8/2011 1:13:27 AM
The reason it probably doesn't have GC support is it probably doesn't have a "Gamecube Mode" like the Wii does. If you notice on your Wii not only do you have 4 full ports as well as 2 Memory Card ports but once a GCN game is started no Wii Functionality Exists: Wiimote shuts off and no Home Button functionality. And when you shut it off it powers all the way down, and doesn't restart back to Wii Channels.

The WiiU doesn't look like it has those ports and looks like it wants to keep its OS on all the time. Unfortunately for progress some old functionality has to be cut. And GC play was all Hardware "emulation" on the Wii. They would have to create a fully new software Emulator for GC games, which may be game to game if they choose to add GCN games to VC. But that's still up in the air as to whether or not that is actually going to happen.
---
"If we can hit this Bullseye the rest of the Dominos will fall like a House of Cards... Checkmate." ~ Zapp Brannigan
#5klajdi6363(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 1:14:32 AM
are you guys sure? i don't remember ninty confirming it at any point. also the console uses a new disk format so how will it support wii disks? i can't find a clear answer with proof anywhere.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-07-nintendo-wii-u-specs-emerge
---
The internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are the FBI
Shinnok for DLC!
#6klajdi6363(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 1:27:09 AM
bump
---
Shinnok for DLC!
#7d0wnerPosted 6/8/2011 1:34:42 AM
are you guys sure? i don't remember ninty confirming it at any point.

I guess you missed the conference.
---
shoot the core.
#8klajdi6363(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 1:38:33 AM
d0wner posted...
are you guys sure? i don't remember ninty confirming it at any point.

I guess you missed the conference.

i watched the whole conference like a hawk glued to my pc but i just can't remember this being confirmed. if it was someone just give me a straight answer please. thanks.
---
Shinnok for DLC!
#9VampiricDragon_Posted 6/8/2011 1:45:59 AM
Ive read its bc with both WII/GC
---
A gamer should want as many games as possible, from as many different genres as possible,on as many different systems as possible,for as many people as possible
#10klajdi6363(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 1:48:04 AM
where? on gamefaqs or a reliable site that is posting facts and not rumors
---
Shinnok for DLC!