Why do people keep comparing the Wii U to Sony and Microsoft?

#1AngurvadalPosted 6/8/2011 6:04:51 AM
It just seems odd. Nintendo has stood on their own for the past 3 generations (N64, GameCube, Wii); while Sony and Microsoft have been in direct competition with each other this generation, Nintendo did what it always does - provide fun games and a new way to play. The most laughable thing about the presentation is how they talked about how they wanted their new console to appeal to casuals and hardcore - which they've already been doing for years.

To me, the Wii U has no competition from Sony and Microsoft. I've been purchasing Nintendo products for 25 years and haven't been let down yet. I'm sure the Wii U will be just as successful if Nintendo continues to deliver imaginative games and new, creative ways to play.

The primary reason to purchase N64, GameCube, and Wii has been to play fun, imaginative Nintendo games. Why are people treating this console differently? Nintendo didn't compare themselves to Sony and Microsoft at the conference; they just said they wanted to make a console that would appeal to a large variety of gamers - which is something they've already been doing for a long time.
---
This message from an unbiased PC gamer.
Don't trust the fanboys.
#2MordeusPosted 6/8/2011 6:11:53 AM
Who was competing against Sony back with the PS1 then? Cause Microsoft wasn't in the Console business then.

The Wii U's third party support isn't necessarily to rival Sony and Microsoft, but to appeal to the gamers from the NES, SNES, slightly N64 and GC eras that begged Nintendo for more 3rd party support.
#3wario58Posted 6/8/2011 6:14:05 AM
Mordeus posted...
Who was competing against Sony back with the PS1 then? Cause Microsoft wasn't in the Console business then.

Have you already forgotten about SEGA? :O
---
PSN Name: Medulan
#4EtoRangerPosted 6/8/2011 6:14:27 AM
Mordeus posted...
Who was competing against Sony back with the PS1 then?

Sega with the Sega Saturn?

Do I win?

Because I like winning.
---
Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger!
Pokemon Black FC 4556-0457-6896
#5MordeusPosted 6/8/2011 6:16:40 AM
wario58 posted...
Mordeus posted...

Have you already forgotten about SEGA? :O

Either answer of SEGA or Nintendo would be correct, as my point is that Sony hasn't always been competing against Microsoft.

The idea that Nintendo or SEGA catered to a different audience to Sony the whole way through their life as a company is a bit of revisionist history.
#6Angurvadal(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2011 6:20:58 AM
I didn't say Sony always competed with Microsoft... I said "while Sony and Microsoft have been in direct competition with each other this generation, Nintendo did what it always does"
---
This message from an unbiased PC gamer.
Don't trust the fanboys.
#7wario58Posted 6/8/2011 6:22:32 AM
EtoRanger posted...
Mordeus posted...
Who was competing against Sony back with the PS1 then?

Sega with the Sega Saturn?

Do I win?

Because I like winning.

It was definitely SEGA.
Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iH1Flaq24M
---
PSN Name: Medulan
#8ScymitePosted 6/8/2011 6:22:54 AM
while Sony and Microsoft have been in direct competition with each other this generation, Nintendo did what it always does"

Nintendo DIDN'T do what it always does, though. Nintendo did something different this gen. Every other gen it was doing what everybody else was doing.
---
"half life is god, if you gave gordon freeman long hair he'd be freaken jesus with a crowbar" -- ilovecarebears
#9BrownGottiPosted 6/8/2011 6:28:50 AM
Just because Nintendo says they are not in competion with Sony and MIcrosoft, doesn't mean they are not in competion with Sony and Microsoft. Their product is sold in the same stores and occupy the same shelves as the other two.

How can they not compete. Saying they are not competing is a marketing ploy.
#10unrealpersonPosted 6/8/2011 6:31:25 AM(edited)
The Wii and DS generation was the first generation Nintendo did something out of the box, they're continuing it with Wii U and 3DS. NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube did nothing out of the box. And I think people compare Wii U to PS3/360 because the games on it look freakishly similar to the stuff you see on PS3/360. (I mean, there have never been that many M rated games promoted on a new Nintendo system...)
---
I'm not a fanboy like you. I play and enjoy all systems. My opinion > yours. Click my username for Wii FCs and PSN ID.