Miyamoto and Iwata agree Wii caused the core/casual split, but Wii U will fix it

#1Super_Master23Posted 6/8/2011 8:30:36 AM
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=160244

"One of the key reasons that such things as the core and the casual exist today is that we decided not to adopt HD on the Wii console." - Miyamoto

"I'm sure everyone would agree that we tried really hard to go wider, but even though we worked aggressively to go deeper in certain areas, the general public's impression that Nintendo was casual grew as time went by." - Iwata

"I think this (Wii U) is an opportunity for those games that were considered to be core up to now, to evolve into something [with an] even more interesting structure. That core vs. casual debate seems like something that can never see a resolution, but with Wii U, I have a feeling that it all may change. If we are able to break those psychological barriers with Wii U, I feel like we will be able to take our goal of expanding the gaming population even further to the next step." - Miyamoto

What do you think? I know that, for some of you, these are the words you've wanted to hear for a while. It seems evident that Nintendo is expanding it's audience again, but with the "core" now. Opinions?
#2FlashSaberPosted 6/8/2011 8:37:31 AM
I'm very glad Nintendo is aware they lost their core audience with the Wii. The Wii U is exactly what I wish the Wii was; a console that appeals to casuals, while still leaving the tools needed for core games to be made for the console. Major props to Nintendo.
---
*insert witty signature here*
#3Zombie_GavinPosted 6/8/2011 8:39:48 AM
sounds like nintendo is taking a step back

the hardcore has done noting but hold gaming back

all innovations this gen has come from reaching out to the causal market
#4Sailor GoonPosted 6/8/2011 8:40:43 AM
"One of the key reasons that such things as the core and the casual exist today is that we decided not to adopt HD on the Wii console." - Miyamoto

No. The key reason was that Nintendo pushed out tons of shovelware and didnt even care about the quality of their games, and only cared to cater to games designed specifically for children and parents who thought the games were 'family-friendly'. It had nothing to do with their decision to go non-HD.
---
As told to me by Gamefaqs admin: They hire 17 year olds as moderators!
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh
#5Man__In__BlackPosted 6/8/2011 8:45:58 AM
Sailor Goon posted...

No. The key reason was that Nintendo pushed out tons of shovelware and didnt even care about the quality of their games, and only cared to cater to games designed specifically for children and parents who thought the games were 'family-friendly'. It had nothing to do with their decision to go non-HD.

Sure it did. The reason the Wii got so much third party shovelware was because none of the third parties could be assed to make huge ports for a system that couldn't run the original versions.
---
Always nice talking to you, GameFAQs."
#6KoopalmierPosted 6/8/2011 8:47:54 AM
^
There are tons of "hardcore" games on Wii. The problem is, the console's too weak, so not many third-parties want to work on it or can port their games on it, so in the end we have 80% casual games and 20% hardcore games (10% of them being ignored). An estimation.
---
Ono suspects Mario could easily defeat M. Bison.
#7flashn00bPosted 6/8/2011 8:49:17 AM

It's a little too late for that. When the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out.... Who wants to play an eyefinity-ready Zelda game?

#8AZN_FLiPSTAHPosted 6/8/2011 8:50:39 AM
Im the only core Wii gamer in my school... Everyone else has a PS360.... I feel left out =(

But now I could rub the Wii U in their faces!!
---
Conduit 2 - The^Neeko
MH3 - Sir Nico (49W5EB)
#9MageknightPosted 6/8/2011 9:10:36 AM
3rd parties pushed shovelware, not Nintendo
---
What if life was like Metroid Prime?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zur-p39okc
#10MetaKirbyFanPosted 6/8/2011 9:13:38 AM
If the top dogs in video gaming believe that... oh dear.

And I agree, what jumps have Sony or Microsoft made, besides the Kinect? Nintendo, who has been "reaching out to casuals" got the touch screen, motion controls, and now the Wii U...controller...thing.

https://sites.google.com/site/tria1andfai1ur3/rants/-hardcore-and-casual-gaming-doesn-t-exist
---
[Formally MetaKirbyFan] Rant site, from popular GFAQs topic: https://sites.google.com/site/tria1andfai1ur3/home
MetaKirby's Trollslaying site -Tinynewtman