Why can't Nintendo just sell their systems at a loss?

#1MushroomDoomPosted 6/14/2011 12:46:33 PM
Sony and Microsoft do this, and it ends up being great for the consumers since they are getting better hardware for a lower price. Why does Nintendo refuse to do this? Are they just a greedy business? And all the Nintendo fanboys on here keep defending Nintendo for having worse hardware because it is cheaper. They are sitting on enough money to sell one of their consoles for a loss and do a fan service to their consumers.
#2ebj767Posted 6/14/2011 12:51:41 PM
Because no matter how bad the system sells, they still make a profit in the end.

Well, minus R&D and Marketing costs.
#3MetaKirbyFanPosted 6/14/2011 12:53:27 PM
ebj767 posted...
Because no matter how bad the system sells, they still make a profit in the end.

Well, minus R&D and Marketing costs.

This. With Nintendo, they make money for every unit sold and that helps us because we continue to get good games. Why is it a bad thing all of a sudden? It's business 101.
---
[Formally MetaKirbyFan] Rant site, from popular GFAQs topic: https://sites.google.com/site/tria1andfai1ur3/home
MetaKirby's Trollslaying site -Tinynewtman
#41stbasemanbeckPosted 6/14/2011 12:54:11 PM
MushroomDoom posted...
Why does Nintendo refuse to do this? Are they just a greedy business?

Honestly, yes.
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
#5darkjedilinkPosted 6/14/2011 12:54:25 PM
Wait, you WANT them to be like Sony games division, which has been operating at a loss for seven years?

Nintendo, like most companies, wants to MAKE money, not lose it.
---
It sure would be fun to be Kirk. I'd Judo chop and ask questions later.
#6Tzuba12Posted 6/14/2011 12:56:20 PM
Because Nintendo is only a video game company and the only money they get is from video games. Microsoft and Sony have other things they sell that they get money from so they can do that and not have to worry.
#7Vycoul22Posted 6/14/2011 12:56:26 PM
Sony and Microsoft make a whole lot more stuff then just consoles. T.V.s, MP3 players, computers... Nintendo does not.
---
Loading signature...
#8Big_IsaacPosted 6/14/2011 1:02:36 PM
this topic is amazing.
you people are honestly demanding Nintendo to sell their products under their production cost
you are essentially calling Nintendo greedy for wanting to not go bankrupt

THE PRESUMPTUOUSNESS! THE VILLAINY!!
Nintendo - a business - is trying to make PROFIT!!!!!
HOW DARE THEY!?!?!

also, it's not like they've been pricing their games 10 bucks lower than their at-a-loss-selling competition or anything, right?
---
waiting for Golden Sun 3DS
My FF rankings (out of 10): I: 5, II: 6, III: 4, IV: 8, V: 9, VI: 7.5, VII: 6, VIII: 3, IX: 8, X: 10, X-2: 8.5, XII: 8
#9Tzuba12Posted 6/14/2011 1:07:33 PM
Yeah and they aren't making you pay for online, nickel and dime you for dlc, their games are cheaper, the systems don't fail nearly as much and I don't have to worry about getting my credit card and account info stolen.

But Sony and Microsoft are sooo great, so we can just forget about those things.
#10RevolutionVPosted 6/14/2011 1:10:16 PM
^ I think you guys missed the point and are basing your answers on emotions. I get what you are trying to say TC.