Confirmed: Wii U cannot play DVDs or Blu Rays!

#71BonnabinTheDirePosted 6/17/2011 7:48:03 AM
Jackal posted...
If the Wii U had DVD/BR play back fans would be singing a different tune. They'd be singing of the death of the PS3/360 because the Wii U's superiority by being able to do what the PS3/360s can do and have better graphics and the Wii U controller. Just like how graphics are a great thing now that the WIi U is suppose to be better.

Just admit it guys, you all wouldn't mind if the Wii U had these features even if you already have hardware capable of playing DVD/BRs. There's nothing wrong with having those features. There are still people that don't have BR players. This could have just been an option for them.

I already have a DVD player. I already have Blu-Ray player. I don't need another of either. So why would I be excited about paying a bit more for additional features that I didn't care about in the first place?
---
"...and since he's swearing and getting upset I just give him the old "no u" and call him bro etc" -Cynghanedd
#72XechsPosted 6/17/2011 7:51:18 AM
Nintendojitsu posted...
Netflix renders DVD and Blu-Ray obsolete.

funny how netflix itself uses DVD/blu ray to deliver over 100 thousand more titles then the stream option.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/snapshot20080926173205.jpg
Sheryl-Macross Frontier
#73rodwipeisdeadPosted 6/17/2011 7:58:32 AM
I won't play blu rays on my PS3. It just wears it out faster.
---
What are all these knobs for?
To put their hands in the air.
#74L0L_FAQPosted 6/22/2011 6:19:33 AM

You don't know what George Hotz gained from settling with Sony out of court. I'm guessing it's a pretty sizable sum.

Geohot wasn't suing Sony, it was the other way around. He just got an injunction.

There's NO REASON for Sony to seek an out-of-court settlement IF they think they're absolutely winning in this case. They'll be quite glad to see GeoHot go to jail.

Sony wasn't the one being sued. They settled out of court on GHz's request. He's still legally incapable of hacking Sony products. It would be a PR disaster if Sony ended up jailing the person who was being portrayed as the crusader of freedom while they're portrayed as the big bad corporation who is against the freedom to do what you please to your property, and GHz also didn't really want to do time.

It's obvious his work presented such a threat level that, should he not compromise, would cause too much damage for Sony to handle. So they most likely bribed him into stop hacking their devices.

No. Under ALL circumstances, GHz would have been stopped from ever hacking a Sony device again. Either he'd lose the case and get slapped with an injuction + a huge penalty + possible jail time or he could beg Sony to settle out of court and just get contractually bound to never hack a Sony product again.

The ONLY reason for Nintendo to exclude DVD & BD is to avoid the charter fee, aka trying to reap profit as much as they can.

yes, that's what they said.

To produce a BD level drive that's UNABLE to play BD / DVD, Nintendo actually has to pay MORE money to the drive builders for a hardware redesign that works ONLY on Wii U, with a huge guaranteed amount of purchase, else they wouldn't bother. Saying that cost LESS money is beyond me.

You don't know that. Hell, even I don't know that. But I'm going to speculate that they're going the same way they did with the Wii; the drive will be the same as a BD drive in almost every manner, except a small wavelength difference. The Wii was also capable of reading DVDs just fine, it just needed to be software unlocked.

BD licenses are $10/unit. By cutting out that, plus the cost of each piece of media itself will go to Nintendo, they're making a smart move. Anybody who wants a BD player at this point has one; they're dirt cheap.

Imagine how much it cost the BDA to develop the BD format. I don't think a lone company like Nintendo could manage that WITHOUT recycling current technology, and make it cost less. It's more likely they used existing BD drives with altered chips to read their own format. In that case, it won't take long for people to come up with BD/DVD playing H.B.s.

Again, they're probably using the exact same method, with some minor changes that skirt the patents narrowly.
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/154txzo.jpg http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png
GameFAQs: Where Chris Reeve is apparently a sacred topic and joking about him=suspension
#75JackalPosted 6/22/2011 9:01:57 AM
BonnabinTheDire posted...
Jackal posted...
If the Wii U had DVD/BR play back fans would be singing a different tune. They'd be singing of the death of the PS3/360 because the Wii U's superiority by being able to do what the PS3/360s can do and have better graphics and the Wii U controller. Just like how graphics are a great thing now that the WIi U is suppose to be better.

Just admit it guys, you all wouldn't mind if the Wii U had these features even if you already have hardware capable of playing DVD/BRs. There's nothing wrong with having those features. There are still people that don't have BR players. This could have just been an option for them.

I already have a DVD player. I already have Blu-Ray player. I don't need another of either. So why would I be excited about paying a bit more for additional features that I didn't care about in the first place?

I guess you missed that part. I have 4 blu ray playing devices myself and it wouldn't bother me in the least if the console could play Blu ray. But to each his own. It doesn't even matter because the Wii U won't be playing and movie or music disc anyway.
---
PSN: Jackal-5
EVE Online: Jonak
#76L0L_FAQPosted 6/22/2011 10:22:23 AM
I guess you missed the part where if someone really wants a BD player, they'll shell out a mere $50 to buy one rather than buying a $300+ Wii U. Nintendo just understands that the odd few people who can buy a Wii U and not a BD player are not numerous enough to pay millions extra for BD playback for.
---
http://i51.tinypic.com/154txzo.jpg http://i51.tinypic.com/10x7xxl.png
GameFAQs: Where Chris Reeve is apparently a sacred topic and joking about him=suspension
#77pokemonbwiscrapPosted 6/22/2011 4:11:12 PM
Thank god! Something we don't need won't available.
#78YamiYugi4400Posted 6/22/2011 4:20:15 PM
There's no reason for the WIi U to play DVD;s/Blurays.

Tons of people already have other consoles or DVD players that can play DVD"s.
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#79jomac006Posted 6/22/2011 5:53:42 PM
A bluray and DVD player in a system is a nice feature but it's not a selling point to me. Heck if it keeps the price of the Wii-U (sounds like a college where you learn to make Wii games) reasonable then I'm all for it not having those two things.

Shoot, my NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, PS1, and Dreamcast didn't have DVD playback and I liked them just the same. Heck I'd say I had more fun with the SNES and N64 than I've had with my Wii, PS3, and 360 combined.

That's not to say that these systems aren't enjoyable but as fun as online play is, there is something awesome about having three buddies in the same room duking it out.