EB Australia show an estimate price of $598 AUD

#1Jammy_BleachedPosted 6/17/2011 9:33:52 AM
So EB games Australia are now listing the Wii U for pre order with an estimate price as: $598 AUD.

That's, what, roughly:
$650 US Dollars
400 British Pounds
450 Euros

What do you think? Too much? About right or will it be less?
#2DeuxHeroPosted 6/17/2011 9:34:33 AM
EB/GS always lists filler prices and release dates.
---
God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.-Morpheus -Deus Ex
#3TottentanzPosted 6/17/2011 9:58:01 AM
That is way over the mark. I understand that if Nintendo had a bunch of patents to pay for and licensing agreements, but almost every bit of tech is in-house and just produced through another company.

In an article referenced in another thread about pricing, the president of Nintendo commented that it wont be cheap then commented somewhere above $250. On that thread, I think the general consensus was around $350 or so which is manageable considering how much tech they do not have to pay fees for.
#4TerotrousPosted 6/17/2011 9:59:06 AM
That means they're guessing $299 for US (since Australian prices are always US Price x 2)
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Snake Rattle n' Roll"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery (still new)
#5martyoytramPosted 6/17/2011 10:09:46 AM
Why are things so expensive in Australia, anyway?
---
06/06/11 The Update Purge of the 3DS Board
3DS: 3136-6572-7370
#6DeuxHeroPosted 6/17/2011 10:10:23 AM
Likely something about the fact that everything is trying to kill you.
---
God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.-Morpheus -Deus Ex
#7Jammy_Bleached(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2011 10:17:44 AM
$299 might be a bit low. The Playstation Vita is priced at $249 without Wi-fi and $299 with. I doubt a hi-def console with a hi tech control will cost around the same as a handheld. (Although the 3DS was around the same as the Wii's launch price mind....) $350 might be more on the mark.
#8OrcaPosted 6/17/2011 10:39:36 AM(edited)
That means they're guessing $299 for US (since Australian prices are always US Price x 2)

That's not a very accurate way of looking at Purchasing Power Parity. The Australian Dollar is stronger than the US dollar, so it will probably be closer to Australian price (if it's accurate) than $299.

For a long time the Australian dollar was quite weak against the US dollar, so prices reflected it, and then when the Australian dollar got stronger, Australian consumers were so used to paying more that the gaming industry didn't feel the need to lower prices. FOr the most part I think this is mostly to do with the games though, not the console, since, when removing taxes (taxes are built into the price, not added on afterwards), the Wii debuted at a price (in US dollars) quite close to what it debuted in the US (about $25 US dollars difference).

If EB is accurate, knock off $60 for GST and about another $25 going off the difference between Wii launch prices. So the US price, I'm guessing, will be about $500 US.
---
http://www.thebrokenheadphones.blogspot.com/
#9martyoytramPosted 6/17/2011 10:42:47 AM
^ Ah, I see. It's similar here in Canada, just less extreme.
---
06/06/11 The Update Purge of the 3DS Board
3DS: 3136-6572-7370
#10Silent RavenPosted 6/17/2011 11:56:48 AM
martyoytram posted...

Crappy importing laws and taxes. You want to see some really expensive stuff? Go to games-workshop.com and set the zone to Australia. The minis are already expensive (at the best of times) and even more so if you are an Australian because you pay really REALLY high prices, and then really REALLY high shipping charges.
---
Believe.