My problem with the controller.

#1masterpizzalordPosted 6/19/2011 4:11:08 PM
The major problem i have with the controller is say you use it for inventory, you have to look away from the tv, take your hand off one of the sticks, and then select something in your inventory. Now while this is happening you character could be busy getting mauled. Idk nor do i care if this is old hat its still my problem with the console and is one of the major reasons i'm considering not getting it. Can you placate my worries?
---
gt pizzabash
#2PChaosWMPosted 6/19/2011 4:14:03 PM
There really isn't any way to put your concerns to rest. Stuff like that will probably happen to you, so just don't throw your controller. It's not covered under warranty.
---
\\=============\\ PerfectChaosWM //=============//
//-- Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. --\\
#3JamesFraughtonPosted 6/19/2011 4:15:19 PM
That would all come down to how the developers choose to handle that. They could have it so all the items are around the edge of the screen so you just had to move your thumb. But really even if some creative team can't think of anything better, how long is it really going to take you... two seconds at the most? It's just like any other game with a quick select where you can't pause the game when you switch, like the first Ratchet & Clank.
---
Wii Code - 6485 6015 5450 9711 -- Nickname - James
XBox360 GamerTag - Kubii PSN - InkoKubii
#4masterpizzalord(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2011 4:17:17 PM
true the main concern i have is having to look away from the screen to do it, at least with quick select you can kinda see whats going on.
---
Gamefaqs,the community that doesn't do anything unless they have to.
gt pizzabash
#5ShojiJasonPosted 6/19/2011 4:25:01 PM
masterpizzalord posted...
true the main concern i have is having to look away from the screen to do it, at least with quick select you can kinda see whats going on.

What, you can't keep track of two different visual areas at once? I wouldn't want to be a passenger in your car.
---
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8271/yomeirochoicexlgc27p09.png
#6Auzzie_WingmanPosted 6/19/2011 4:26:30 PM
The chances of this happening are pretty low.

If there is a time to look away from the TV, you would probably be at a safe point, unless its a super hardcore mode or something.

Something like the LoZ tech demo, where the invent was on the touchscreen, I can see something like this being easily customisable, so you could probably touch them without looking, as it could probably be arranged to your preference.

But you'll probably only looked down for a moment if you do. I don't think a moment is sufficient enough to end up getting mauled. Unless it was something partially cinematic, in which case a break away option would appear (like in Resident Evil(4 and 5) or Kingdom Hearts II).

I also think that developers would take this into thought when building gameplay mechanics and game events. Or like in GR: Online, you could do it at anytime, but it's probably best to be in cover when you do.

An Okami title is sounding good right about now.
---
---Ninja of the Layton VS Gyakuten Boards---3DS Friend Code: 1246 - 8736 - 6899
As a ninja, I can teleport, high jump, throw knives, and play exploding violins
#7NecrosexuaIPosted 6/19/2011 4:36:16 PM
What, you can't keep track of two different visual areas at once? I wouldn't want to be a passenger in your car.
i don't know how you hold your controller . . . but i hold it in my lap. i don't got anything in my car that is in my lap. the screens ain't as close as the ds, or the speedometer on a car vs the window.

Something like the LoZ tech demo, where the invent was on the touchscreen, I can see something like this being easily customisable, so you could probably touch them without looking, as it could probably be arranged to your preference.
loz is a bit slower than, say, a bethesda game, where you might be in the action but need to cast magic. if that was on the tablet screen, it could cause some problems. in loz, it might only be needed for a puzzle. [i mean, unless you like to use other weapons... in combat, i only use the sword. on, say, skyrim, i'll be usin some of them dragon shouts, cause why not. i used magic a lot on oblivion].
---
ONE PART THE FUHRER
ONE PART THE POPE
#8ShojiJasonPosted 6/19/2011 4:39:18 PM
NecrosexuaI posted...
i don't know how you hold your controller . . . but i hold it in my lap.

So... you're not willing to make an adjustment to your playing style in order to reap the benefits of having more viewing area?
---
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8271/yomeirochoicexlgc27p09.png
#9JamesFraughtonPosted 6/19/2011 4:40:52 PM
And even if it is in your lap, how long does it take to lift four inches?
---
Wii Code - 6485 6015 5450 9711 -- Nickname - James
XBox360 GamerTag - Kubii PSN - InkoKubii
#10Auzzie_WingmanPosted 6/19/2011 4:43:27 PM
NecrosexuaI posted...

loz is a bit slower than, say, a bethesda game, where you might be in the action but need to cast magic. if that was on the tablet screen, it could cause some problems. in loz, it might only be needed for a puzzle. [i mean, unless you like to use other weapons... in combat, i only use the sword. on, say, skyrim, i'll be usin some of them dragon shouts, cause why not. i used magic a lot on oblivion].

Hmm, true. But I reckon if it's something you do often enough, it will commit to memory.
Like with the LoZ tech demo. I'd probably end up having Boomerang, Bombs and Clawshot in that order on the right column of the screen.

Actually, when I think about it, those could easily be set to the triggers or the XYAB buttons. I guess I did a bad reference then.

I still stand by developers understanding this and adjusting their implementations accordingly. I will also say that it's just one of those things you'll adjust to. When the Wii came out, some people found playing an online FPS on it cumbersome. Now, I find it easier than dual analog, or even keyboard and mouse.
---
---Ninja of the Layton VS Gyakuten Boards---3DS Friend Code: 1246 - 8736 - 6899
As a ninja, I can teleport, high jump, throw knives, and play exploding violins