My Worry About the Wii U

#1JackstinPosted 6/30/2011 9:30:09 AM
I will precede this by saying I will almost certainly get a Wii U, but here is my worry:

If the console is producing one image on the uTablet, and a different one on the TV, would this mean that the console would have to be twice as powerful to produce PS360 quality graphics?

I realise many games will just go along the DS route of having a Menu on the uTab (which is hardly taxing), and many will use the uTab as another way of looking at the same polygons being produced for the TV screen (which I imagine would not require much more processing power).

However, similarly, I can imagine that the many creative devs will want two entirely different sequences going on on each screen. Is a console that is not significantly more powerful than the current generation going to be able to do this? It's just a minor concern.
#2CPUXPosted 6/30/2011 9:33:52 AM
*Ponders this for a moment

The pad can't produce it's on graphics, it streams it from the game...

...So it should be fine? I think.
---
Black Ops - wP/Snake - 1338 7965 5875
This sentence is false. I am lying.
#3Jackstin(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2011 9:46:56 AM
This is the problem...I think. (Not techy).

Because the pad doesn't produce it's own graphics, the hardware is essentially doing double the work, except when the pad is just showing menus, or another view of what is on the tellybox.
#4dekusnakePosted 6/30/2011 9:55:51 AM

It may not be significantly more powerfull than the other consoles, but I'm sure it's going to be designed to be able to do just beyond what we can imagine. Honestly though, I'd hate to have two different camera angles in one cutscene, or something along that. Looking at the two different screens would get annoying. I'm sure the way the touch screen will be used will mainly be how we saw it at E3, simply for comfort.

#5EoinPosted 6/30/2011 12:54:13 PM
It doesn't mean that it would have to be twice as powerful as the PS3/360 to produce the same graphical quality.

However, the screen on the controller absolutely is going to result in the Wii U having to render two separate images, at least sometimes, in some games, and that is obviously going to impact on the CPU and GPU.

That being said, I think that even developers who start off with the intention of having two completely different, fully rendered scenes on the TV and on the controller are going to rethink, for several reasons.

Firstly, this really isn't like the DS. This is a very common misconception that lots of people seem to be making, but the second screen isn't equivalent to the lower screen on the DS. During normal play, with the main picture on the TV, that screen is going to be either barely visible or just about invisible, and people are not going to be easily changing hand positions from a standard controller hand position (one thumb on each circle pad) to suddenly and magically having a stylus in their hand.

Secondly, because if a game has a gameplay requirement of two screens, then it won't be playable on one screen and therefore won't work when the TV is turned off and only the screen on the controller is in use. This seems to be overlooked as well - two of the console's big talking points (having a secondary screen, and having the ability to play without a TV) are in fact going to be largely mutually exclusive.

Finally, a lot of the games that we've seen are ports from other machines. While I'm sure that Nintendo themselves will utilise the new controller in lots of new ways, third party developers may not have the time and resources to do so, even if they want to.
#6MC_Brian1Posted 6/30/2011 1:22:20 PM
Firstly, this really isn't like the DS. This is a very common misconception that lots of people seem to be making, but the second screen isn't equivalent to the lower screen on the DS. During normal play, with the main picture on the TV, that screen is going to be either barely visible or just about invisible, and people are not going to be easily changing hand positions from a standard controller hand position (one thumb on each circle pad) to suddenly and magically having a stylus in their hand.

Well, it is like the DS. Unless the game is dominated by the touch screen, which many DS games are not, most people just use their finger.
---
I'll respond to this topic the same way I like my women.
Lot of D's.
- Goombacrusher07 in a C/D topic
#7Sirian_HawkPosted 6/30/2011 7:44:58 PM
The controller does not display in 1080p. The video displayed on it will be downscaled. Therefore the console needs very little power to stream and the rest goes to TV visuals.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2011/06/wii_u_controlle.html
---
"To hell with your spoiled baby! Zoidberg needs those shoes!"