Curious...who is NOT buying Wii U due to the localization fiasco from NoA?

#11stbasemanbeckPosted 7/3/2011 3:02:09 PM
...I was reserved about Wii U and the more I learned about the console (even with the limited info we have), I lost interest because I felt core gamers' interests were not important to Nintendo (regardless of their rhetoric). Quite a few things were red flags of this to me...sticking with the Wii brand, designing an offbeat controller and marketing it as the centerpiece instead of games, rumor(?) of Wiimotes for local multiplayer. But I have to say not localizing these games was the last straw. I know now I definitely won't buy. If Nintendo can't bring out these games when there is NO competition from ANY other games on the system, how can they be trusted to bring these kind of games out ever? Just imo.

How do others feel?
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
#2DeuxHeroPosted 7/3/2011 3:09:31 PM(edited)
Here!

I buy consoles for 4 years of games (launch window is never good and excepting that to have games is unreasonable), not 3. NoA has confirmed I will get 3 at most.

Prehaps if it falls to a really low price like the PS2 did I'll buy one. Till then, sorry Nintendo, you lost me. Hope you replace some folks in the next 5 years. I'm fine with sticking to my gaming PC instead of PC+Nintendo.

Also: Not rumors, one Wii-pad a console has been confirmed quite a lot by Nintendo themself. That was one factor in making me not want to buy a Wii U. I buy Nintendo consoles for exclusives and local MP, Wii U has shown neither.
---
God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.-Morpheus -Deus Ex
#3SoulofweeweePosted 7/3/2011 3:13:27 PM(edited)
There are already many other topics discussing this.. NoA has always sucked. But they made the rational decision that there was not enough demand for these games to be localized for North America.

You already know that Operation Rainfall was started to localize games that are on the WII, not WII U. The Wii is made to tend to casual players. The Wii U is made to interest the core market. Not only that, the 3 games in question represent a part of the JRPG community, which is a very small part of the core community. I don't see why that would affect your decision.
---
I like cats. They're low maintenance.
#4DeuxHeroPosted 7/3/2011 3:12:30 PM
"localized for North America.'="I am an apologist/haven't done my research!"

The games are ALREADY LOCALIZED
---
God was a dream of good government. You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.-Morpheus -Deus Ex
#5ArkanaXPosted 7/3/2011 3:18:20 PM
I don't think it's a big issue. There have always been games that don't get localized because they aren't expected to sell well, if there's enough demand it will get localized or another company will pick up the games license if they are smart and can make a profit doing so.
---
"I may or may not be indecisive i just can't decide." RSJGamerPro
GT: DestroyedArkana
#6DeuxHeroPosted 7/3/2011 3:19:32 PM
But it hasn't caused the console to be completely devoid of games for an entire year before.
---
#7Grunthor316Posted 7/3/2011 3:33:10 PM
I'm getting really sick of these stupid topics about the games that aren't coming to the US. Like I've mentioned in other topics Nintendo said they have no plans at this moment in time to bring them out here. They did not say that there was no chance. They said the same thing about the black Wii and several games during this generation and we ended up getting them anyways. Most likely what they are doing is holding off releasing the games here until just before the Wii U launches since the releases for the Wii will have dried up by then and they'll use those titles as a bridge between the end of the Wii and beginning of the Wii U.
#8IntoTheN1ghtPosted 7/3/2011 3:36:58 PM
Forget the games, they are, irrelevant

What bothers me is that the best selling console this gen has gamers who have beg for games they want, yet cannot go inside a game store without the Wii stand full of absolute garbage shovelware all over the place

Its the principal that counts here, Nintendo has been doing this longer than either Sony or MS, they should be ahead and their strategy for bringing great games to their fans is something they should excell at, yet no.

How can they claim to be making a console for "everyone" yet everything hints yet again at targetting the console at soccermoms who wish to lose weight with Wii Fit and giggling school girls dancin to Just Dance 2.

Pre E3 i was looking for something, anything, that would make me believe Nintendo was actually serious about making me interested, but the allure of easy money with WiiU Sports, WiiU Fit and WiiU Music is probably too strong
---
Look at my game it must hurt! GA GA GA GA GA Hooray for me! In your face! You cant deny me, its to real for you!
#91shadetail1Posted 7/3/2011 3:49:27 PM
Localization "fiasco"? What fiasco? Nintendo isn't localizing three games to the US. Pardon me while I shed a tear. I simply do not get the soap opera melodrama some people are indulging in.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#101stbasemanbeck(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 3:53:25 PM
There are already many other topics discussing this.

Discussing localization but not specifically this. Yes, though.

NoA has always sucked. But they made the rational decision that there was not enough demand for these games to be localized for North America.

But there was enough in Europe? I mean that was a risk that Nintendo of Europe took. I would think a game with a label on it "from the creator of Final Fantasy" would sell itself. Not to mention these would be the only things out on the console.

You already know that Operation Rainfall was started to localize games that are on the WII, not WII U. The Wii is made to tend to casual players. The Wii U is made to interest the core market.

That's not what Nintendo says. They said the Wii is for "everyone" which means casual and core. They certainly want more than the core with Wii U, and are directly marketing things that I would say are very unappealing to the core gamers so I would say Wii U is also "for everyone" in theory. If the Wii is made to tend to casual players, how come these games were made for Wii and are already ON Wii (just not in the Americas).

Not only that, the 3 games in question represent a part of the JRPG community, which is a very small part of the core community.

Core games nonetheless. Heck, they are GAMES period, which for the most part is more than the 2011 Wii lineup has.

Most likely what they are doing is holding off releasing the games here until just before the Wii U launches since the releases for the Wii will have dried up by then

As opposed to the lush, full 2011 lineup of releases lol.

The sad thing is that they could seemingly put out a game a month of the nonlocalized games (there are others, Fatal Frame the obvious one) until the U launch.

Also, it's still unacceptable. The bestselling console has the least amount of new releases, and for that matter, hardly a dozen all year. Nintendo should have seen this coming and either localized games, developed games or gotten third parties to develop games.

Forget the games, they are, irrelevant

What bothers me is that the best selling console this gen has gamers who have beg for games they want, yet cannot go inside a game store without the Wii stand full of absolute garbage shovelware all over the place

Yup. It's not the games, though I would be interested in all three and was considering buying a Wii for them despite my dislike of the console, simply because I do love JRPGs. It's the principle, as you point out.

How can they claim to be making a console for "everyone" yet everything hints yet again at targetting the console at soccermoms who wish to lose weight with Wii Fit and giggling school girls dancin to Just Dance 2.

Bingo. I've owned Nintendo systems and played their games for hundreds of hours if not more. Their treatment of the end of Gamecube and especially with Wii made me migrate to PS3.
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..