I hope this will be the return of the sixth generation.

#1AccrovideogamesPosted 7/15/2011 1:01:21 PM
The Wii's hardware is extremely weak, so weak that it's impossible to have cross-platform games on it unless you drastically scale them down. The GameCube was awesome, it was on par with the other three consoles of its generation (don't forget the Dreamcast).

I'm happy that Nintendo is wanting to attract back the core gamers but I'm still worried that it won't be enough compared to what Sony and Microsoft will deliver. The third party games announced in order to brag about Wii U's dedication to the core community of gamers are just ports of PS3 and 360 games. Come on, is the Wii U going to be one generation late again?

You have to admit it, Wii's hardware is total crap. The GameCube was much more powerful in its generation. It was ranked second place (Xbox being first, PS2 third and SDC last).

Seventh Generation Specs Comparison
Note: I won't take into consideration reliability, as this would make it unfair for the 360, this is only about how hi-tech games can be made on them.

Memory Space: PS3 wins with 320GB, followed by 360's 250GB and Wii's ridiculously low 512MB (0.5GB).

CPU: The 360 and PS3 both have 3.2GHz while the Wii has a cheap CPU with 729MHz (0.71GHz). The PS3 has 7 single cores versus 3 dual cores for the 360. PS3's max GFlops is 230 while the 360 is 77.

GPU: Up to 512 MB RAM for the 360 and 480 MB RAM for the PS3. PS3' bandwidth is 22.4 GBps and 360's is a whopping 256 GBps. The Wii is behind as always with a 24MB RAM and 3.9 GBps.

RAM: Both 360 and PS3 has the same RAM (256MB). PS3's speed of 3.2 GHz beats the 360's 700MHz (0.68GHz). The Wii has a weak 64MB. PS3's bandwidth is 25.6 GBps while the 360's is 22.4 GBps.

Disc Space: PS3's Blu-Ray (50GB) is the obvious winner, the 360's DVD (9GB) and Wii's OD (8.5GB) are way out of league.

Resolution: The two HD consoles support 1080p while the Wii only supports 480p.
---
I'm French speaking.
Attention to PC gamers: www.reclaimyourgame.com/
#2HoboOfAwePosted 7/15/2011 1:19:15 PM
Nintendo doesn't care about hardware. They don't care about having modern CPUs, graphics cards, online services, native resolutions, or...anything, really. They DO care deeply about gimmicks, as well as delivering sequels to all of their old series. At least, this was the case with the Wii. I loved SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime. But that's all that Nintendo has to offer to me. I haven't touched my Wii in years, and instead play all the great multiplatform games that are too complex to be ported to the Wii. And that's a shame. If the Wii U is truly only slightly more powerful than the PS3 and 360, it's going to be the same damn thing. I'm not buying another system for the sole purpose of playing Mario and Zelda. If Nintendo insists on being left in the dust again, they're not getting a penny out of me.

However, we hardly know anything about the Wii U. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
---
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
#360secondAssasinPosted 7/15/2011 1:31:50 PM(edited)
lol almost all your specs are wrong...lulz
correct: PS3: total ram= 512mb.256mb xdr(3.2ghz) system ram. 256mb 700mhz ddr3 video ram. Oh and spe's are not cores.
Xbox36: CPU is a triple core(not 2 triple cores)a single block of 512mb ddr3(700mhz) ram no specific and 10mb edram on gpu.
I think u got the wii right, but just in case: 729mhz g4 gekko, 88mb ram, bla bla bla. Oh and also the cell's actual factual(not theoretical) gflops=20. I know a huge desparity. And Xenon= 30-40 gflops, not 77.
---
Console I Own: NES, SNES, PS1,N64, Dreamcast, Xbox360, Wii
Handhelds: Gameboy(89'), DS Lite, PC Engine, GP2X Wiz
#4Accrovideogames(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 1:54:33 PM(edited)
HoboOfAwe posted...
Nintendo doesn't care about hardware.

It's Satoru Iwata's fault, his predecessor Hiroshi Yamauchi retired in 2002, one year after the release of the powerful yet small GameCube.

60secondAssasin posted...
PS3: total ram= 512mb.256mb xdr(3.2ghz) system ram. 256mb 700mhz ddr3 video ram. Oh and spe's are not cores.
Xbox36: CPU is a triple core(not 2 triple cores)a single block of 512mb ddr3(700mhz) ram no specific and 10mb edram on gpu.
Oh and also the cell's actual factual(not theoretical) gflops=20. I know a huge desparity. And Xenon= 30-40 gflops, not 77.

The 360 really has three dual-threaded cores and the PS3 seven single-threaded cores (one of them serves as a backup). I already know about the 10MB eDRAM of the 360. As for the RAM, I'll try to clear things up. The 360's total RAM is 512 MB but it is shared with the GPU. The PS3 also has 512 MB but are mostly separated, 256MB are dedicated for GPU only but an additional 224 can be shared with the system RAM. As for the GFlops, my sources said it was 230 and 77.
---
I'm French speaking.
#5LtColKilgore79Posted 7/15/2011 4:17:25 PM
^ True. Yamauchi actually wanted Nintendo's first console to be 16-bit and priced under $100.
#6Starwars4JPosted 7/15/2011 6:01:12 PM
HoboOfAwe posted...

One generation of being in last place and Nintendo just doesn't care about hardware, eh? I guess Sony doesn't care about hardware either...I mean they made the PS2 afterall lmao! Seriously now, look what the next gen brought? Saying something like that based on practically nothing is just ignorant.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#7CrystalKing5426Posted 7/15/2011 6:08:35 PM
The SNES had better hardware than the Genesis, N64>PS1, GC>PS2, but they don't go the power route for one gen and they suddenly never cared about hardware? Never mind the fact the Wii U is trying to rectify that and gain back the core audience it lost over the years.
---
Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game: People who agree: 39
#8Accrovideogames(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2011 10:56:46 AM
Starwars4J posted...
HoboOfAwe posted...

One generation of being in last place and Nintendo just doesn't care about hardware, eh? I guess Sony doesn't care about hardware either...I mean they made the PS2 afterall lmao!

This one generation coincides with the departure of Hiroshi Yamauchi and the arrival of Satoru Iwata. When a president leaves and another takes place, changes occur.

The difference with the PS2 is that it wasn't that weak compared to the competition. Multi-platform games were available on the Xbox, NGC and PS2. It's true that the PS2 ports usually had longer loading screens but it was still able to handle games made for the Xbox and NGC. Take Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4 as examples, they have been NGC exclusives for a time until ports for the PS2 were made (ToS's port was in Japan only). Even though both games mostly used the NGC's full capabilities, the PS2 was able to handle them with longer loading screens and a negligible sacrifice in graphics.

The gap between the PS2 and the superior NGC and Xbox is much smaller than the one between the Wii and the superior PS3 and 360. This is why many gamers are anxious about Nintendo letting us down for the girly girls and the elderly.
---
I'm French speaking.
#9SkyCrackersPosted 7/16/2011 1:24:59 PM
I think your Xbox 360 VRAM bandwidth number is also wrong...
---
Now accepting ideas for my signature.