Wow, I thought the Wii U was meant for "you."

#1Halo3GAMEFREAKPosted 7/16/2011 2:14:14 PM(edited)
Yet, Nintendo neglects to add DVD playback on a console meant for HD? Seriously, Nintendo, it's 2011 and you still haven't introduced a DVD player on any console you've created. It's old technology that could have easily [I'm assuming] been implemented into the Wii U. This totally ruined my desire for this console, now: and Nintendo should seriously change the name to, "Wii Suck."

I know a lot of you probably think I'm a fanboy who's bashing on Nintendo, but I'm not. A lot of you will probably say that there is no need to add DVD playback, you guys are probably right. But the fact still remains that Nintendo has neglected this tiny piece of technology that has been around for more then 10 years! There's no excuse to not have the Wii U play DVD's, even if you guys do own DVD players/Blu Ray. We're given a system that's supposed to show off its HD power, yet we can't watch movies on it? Not all of us have HDTV's, so ignoring this compatability was a huge drawback, for me at least.

It's more of a inconvenience issue I have with the WII U. Since my 360 is able to play DVD's and games, all I have to do is pop in a DVD and sit back and relax. If the 360 didn't have this feature: I would have to squeeze through a tiny crevice to get to the back of my TV, unplug the 360's cables, plug in the DVD player's cables, and spend the rest of the time looking for the remote.

The fact is, there may be a lot of you guys who don't care about DVD playback. But there's also a lot of us that do. And because of this, Nintendo has neglected the "U" part just because of this small thing. I have a gaming console that plays in HD graphics, so I see no point in buying this.

Say what you want, but my opinion still stands. Nintendo gives us the crumbs of the new generation, and that's it.
---
GT: ShadyMcGrady209
#2SoaringDivePosted 7/16/2011 2:15:53 PM
Dude, it's just a movie. There hasn't been very many good ones of those for years.
---
Your entire life has been a mathematical error. A mathematical error I'm about to correct.
#3Kiro96Posted 7/16/2011 2:16:50 PM

I thought no DVD player was something negaative... until I remembered I have an actual DVD player that I've had for the past few years.

#4SkyCrackersPosted 7/16/2011 2:18:28 PM
Halo3GAMEFREAK posted...
We're given a system that's supposed to show off its HD power, yet we can't watch movies on it? Not all of us have HDTV's, so ignoring this compatability was a huge drawback, for me at least.

DVD's aren't HD, not even close.

Would you rather have it include DVD playback but cost $30 more? You almost certainly already have a device that plays DVD's, why would you need another?
---
Now accepting ideas for my signature.
#5cysthebIitzPosted 7/16/2011 2:19:47 PM
what?! no dvd playback?! this almost makes as mad as when i found out my dvd player couldn't play video games. how dare nintendo focus on making a video game system without any technology that i already own in pretty much everything but my microwave. i need dvd playback in everything i own, not just most of the things i own.
---
"Today, I killed my best friend" 3DS FC 1504-5692-6282
#6Wiiplayer111Posted 7/16/2011 2:20:07 PM
Here is Nintendo's thinking.

1. Nintendo sells gaming devices not multimedia devices.

2. DVD would raise the price.

3. Everything else already plays DVDs.
---
I don't just give you my two cents, I whip a roll of quarters at your head.
#719061980Posted 7/16/2011 2:22:07 PM
Adding DVD playback would increase the price of the console becasue for every console sold Nintendo would have to pay a license fee. It would be a pointless expense for the 99% of WiiU owners who already own atleast one (if not many) DVD playing devices.

They have not neglected to and DVD playback, they have CHOSEN (correctly) not to add it.
#8BrownbearbobPosted 7/16/2011 2:25:41 PM
As long as we have Netflix we don't need DVD players
---
MK Wii: 2578-3499-0780
SSBB: 0216-0543-4680
#9SoulofweeweePosted 7/16/2011 2:27:43 PM
Well, I was going to suggest Netflix or using pretty much anything in your house with a disc socket, but you already said absolutely nothing will change your mind. Anyway, most of us are actually happy about this. It will take the price of the Wii U down probably 25-50 dollars, and 25gb on the Wii U disc beats out a DVD any day.
---
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
#10Halo3GAMEFREAK(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2011 2:31:06 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
Halo3GAMEFREAK posted...
We're given a system that's supposed to show off its HD power, yet we can't watch movies on it? Not all of us have HDTV's, so ignoring this compatability was a huge drawback, for me at least.

DVD's aren't HD, not even close.

Would you rather have it include DVD playback but cost $30 more? You almost certainly already have a device that plays DVD's, why would you need another?

Actually, SkyCrackers, I would rather pay an additional $30 to have a DVD player/gaming console. The convenience would be better than the 360. If I wanted to watch a movie in another room, one that's not so crowded and loud, I could take the Wii U into a more quiet room; as opposed to unhooking my 360, carrying it to the other room, and plugging everything back in.

Maybe I'm just mad at this because I'm attending a film school, but I watch movies on a daily basis. That guy really doesn't know what he's talking about when he says there's no good DVD's to watch, unless if he's referring to those ****** *** films like, "Epic Movie."

As for the rest of the responses, I knew people would use that argument. It's the only weapon you have in your arsenal: " I already own a DVD player." Come up with a reason that goes beyond that logic, because there's no excuse why Nintendo neglected DVD playback, whether you own a DVD player or not.
---
GT: ShadyMcGrady209