WiiU....I'm just not sure....and there is a wall of text

#1goten9112001Posted 7/17/2011 4:14:00 PM
So first off I'm not a troll and I'm not here to bash on the WiiU. Actually it's the opposite I would like to finally have some Nintendo games again on "current" graphics. I quote because honestly PCs still put out better graphics. However I see a few issues with the console. I'm hoping I can get some legitimate responses to my concerns (yes I know this is GameFaqs) that can be talked about rather than rampant fan boyisim:

1. No Blu Ray: Not for watching movies but for spacing issues. Granted there have been alot of multi disc games but DVDs are starting to get to that point where one isn't going to be enough. I get there might be a licensing fee but it seems like playing games on this format is the way we can expect things to go in the future or at least until the new thing launches.

2. The controller: Ok so it's a tablet and I know that Nintendo will make sure it works great on their first party games but I'm curious to see how it will work for third party titles in particular shooters. I personally thought the Wii remote would be cool to use but I feel I would need a giant screen to really point with enough precision for an online shooter. I could be wrong I haven't tried it yet. Also I'm curious how the touch screen will work. I love the idea of playing games from the small screen but at the same time only using one if i have multiple people over seems kinda pointless (btw I am aware Nintendo is working on more than one but I've only seen it actually cited with one controller working at a time.) Lastly on the controller does anyone know if the pad itself has any hardware in it where it could be wiped and turned into a tablet running Android. I realize it's early but even if the thing is $100 that would be pretty neat.

3. Online play - I don't think Nintendo's track record with online is all that great. Friend codes need to go. Just let me make up my own to give out to people similar to how 360 and PS3 do it instead of having to type out a 16 character code.

4. Third Party Support - Ok I know all the 3rd parties are jumping on board. And I get that they want to make more money. And I know Nintendo says they are really going to work harder with 3rd parties but didn't they say that with the Wii, the DS, GameCube etc. In my experience I only play Nintendo games on my Nintendo system. Isn't anyone else concerned about this. I know we're excited about a new console and I want to love it but the 3ds launch didn't wow me and I'm wondering how this will go.
#2darkbringer3dPosted 7/17/2011 4:22:18 PM
Discs will hold as much as blue ray, and online will be flexible, and developers are liking it.
---
One day, Nintendo decided to put Mario into the world of Metroid. Alas, he was no match for the mighty Geemer.
#3goten9112001(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2011 4:27:55 PM
DVD discs don't hold as much as blu ray.
#4Grunthor316Posted 7/17/2011 4:30:49 PM
I think you misunderstood what he was saying. The WiiU uses it's own proprietary discs that hold roughly 25 GB of data, or about the same as a Blu ray disc.
#5darkbringer3dPosted 7/17/2011 4:31:04 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6so64Posted 7/17/2011 4:31:06 PM
Actually, Nintendo is utilizing propriety discs that are very similar to Blu-Ray discs in storage size. The only reason why they're not out right using Blu-Ray discs is probably due to licensing issues... Can't really answer any of your other concerns because I'm not sure yet.
---
www.brokencontrollers.com
My dragon egg is dead. Thanks guys. Also, blue cheese is evil and the creator should be flogged.
#7goten9112001(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2011 4:32:52 PM
Oh I didn't know that......that is actually kinda awesome.

I know it's early and all the details aren't out so I realize some of my topics are speculation just thought it would be fun to talk about.
#8New LinkPosted 7/17/2011 4:38:11 PM
Ok, I'm just quoting you so I can read what you wrote as I'm typing. I'm not trying to retort, but kinda give my opinion on why these things were/weren't done.

1. No Blu Ray: Not for watching movies but for spacing issues. Granted there have been alot of multi disc games but DVDs are starting to get to thalmaot point where one isn't going to be enough. I get there might be a licensing fee but it seems like playing games on this format is the way we can expect things to go in the future or at least until the new thing launches.

Blu-Ray was created by Sony. In the Console-Wars, I really don't see them buying into it, especially because in doing so, a portion of their profit would go to Sony, their competitor. Being relatively new, the licensing fee is still quite expensive, much more than that of DVD.

2. The controller: Ok so it's a tablet and I know that Nintendo will make sure it works great on their first party games but I'm curious to see how it will work for third party titles in particular shooters. I personally thought the Wii remote would be cool to use but I feel I would need a giant screen to really point with enough precision for an online shooter. I could be wrong I haven't tried it yet. Also I'm curious how the touch screen will work. I love the idea of playing games from the small screen but at the same time only using one if i have multiple people over seems kinda pointless (btw I am aware Nintendo is working on more than one but I've only seen it actually cited with one controller working at a time.) Lastly on the controller does anyone know if the pad itself has any hardware in it where it could be wiped and turned into a tablet running Android. I realize it's early but even if the thing is $100 that would be pretty neat.

I hate to FAQ you but the 1 controller thing is already old news. They've already stated that they can use two, and are working on more.

For third party support I see them taking a more modest approach, especially with cross-console games, such as using the second screen as either inventory or a map or something, radar? I also have my wild imagination going and I would love to see a wii zapper + uPad combination like the tech demo they had with the Mii's -- but picture a thriller game with that where you would use the analogue on the nunchuck to move around, the TV screen to see what's in front of you, and the uPad as a panoramic scope, being able to aim in all directions.

As per running Android on it, I'm not sure if you could use the Android distro itself, but definitely some version of linux (for those of you who don't know... android is still technically a version of linux) and personally I'd love to crack one and run it as a tablet as well. The reason I don't think android itself would work is because the controller is really just a reciever, you would have to change the consoles software itself, not just the controller.

to be continued... character limit.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#9New LinkPosted 7/17/2011 4:38:59 PM
3. Online play - I don't think Nintendo's track record with online is all that great. Friend codes need to go. Just let me make up my own to give out to people similar to how 360 and PS3 do it instead of having to type out a 16 character code.

I have to agree with you, I haven't read much but I remember them saying that they were working on a 'better' system, hopefully time will tell what that means.

4. Third Party Support - Ok I know all the 3rd parties are jumping on board. And I get that they want to make more money. And I know Nintendo says they are really going to work harder with 3rd parties but didn't they say that with the Wii, the DS, GameCube etc. In my experience I only play Nintendo games on my Nintendo system. Isn't anyone else concerned about this. I know we're excited about a new console and I want to love it but the 3ds launch didn't wow me and I'm wondering how this will go.

Given the sheer power of the system, and the fact that it has a more standard controller (than the wiimote) I believe 3rd party support shouldn't be an issue. I mean when you think about it, some of the best looking PS3 and 360 games, you can't really get much better than, so the 'power struggle' I really don't see being an issue this time around, and I believe that those cross-console games will span all the next gen systems, not leaving any of them out. Many 3rd parties have already given this praise and have said how eager they are to work with it, saying it's the easiest API to work with and such, so I really do think that they'll be on-board this time around.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 7/17/2011 5:48:15 PM
WiiU isn't using DVDs. It's using a proprietary format that can hold about as much as a blu-ray disk. They just can't make the system into a blu-ray player due to licensing issues.
---
{Phenom II 945 c3|Hyper 212+|Asus M4N75TD|G.Skill Ripjaws series|MSI GTX460 Hawk|Antec TP New 650w}
http://i.imgur.com/mMSLs.jpg The Power of Radeom!