Beyond3D Speculating on the U

#1TottentanzPosted 7/29/2011 8:41:32 AM(edited)
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/118/1

Mind you, they are only looking at the GPU for the most part and give some solid thought to it; however, they take Iwata literal with his statement of not being much more powerful rather than also accounting for Japanese modesty.

Skip to the conclusion if you do not want to read all the tech jargon.
#2darkjedilinkPosted 7/29/2011 9:19:50 AM
I think it's a fair article.

If Iwata and AMD were speaking literally (as in, Iwata not being modest and AMD not under some sort of NDA), the WiiU will still have a card to take them through WiiU/PS4/720 (unless some huge, unforseen GPU tech leap happens in the very tiny window of the WiiU's GPU finalization and it being too late to change it).

If they weren't, it'll be a powerhouse.

Either way, the trolls around here can't predict Wii Redux with a straight face. It's been spelled out that their dire forecast can't happen, since the WiiU at worst will meet the "minimum" versus the PS4/720's "recommended."
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#3Tottentanz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 10:24:44 AM
I thought it was interesting they referred to the nextbox as the 1080.

Also, based on this article's very impartial look at what is being offered and what actually exists, I agree that at best the PS4 and Xbox 1080 would be, in computer terms, like playing a game at max settings while the U would be similar to playing them on the lower settings which would result in the same game with just perhaps more detail on one as opposed to the other.

Then again, they did not take into account Sony's VR helmets that look so "cool."

No ones can know the future, but they did an excellent job at making an educated guess based on available data and resources for the U.
#4IntoTheN1ghtPosted 7/29/2011 5:18:58 PM
they take Iwata literal with his statement of not being much more powerful rather than also accounting for Japanese modesty.

There are piss poor arguments, then there is this

Every company in the world makes their product seem better than it already is, last i checked Sony's main office is located in Japan too and they claimed the PS2 could launch a nuclear missle.

WiiU will be slightly more powerful than 360, and you wont even see that extra power in its first year as mere ports and only a few titles that have had very little development time appear. Once they master the system and squeeze more out WiiU games will look better slightly better than current HD consoles, you can throw a party that Nintendo now has slightly better looking games than 2005-2006 HD consoles, ill come.

That same year the media is infested with news about PS4 and Xbox 3, and WiiU is forgotten about.
---
Look at my game it must hurt! GA GA GA GA GA Hooray for me! In your face! You cant deny me, its to real for you!
#5Tottentanz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2011 7:00:55 PM
IntoTheN1ght posted...
they take Iwata literal with his statement of not being much more powerful rather than also accounting for Japanese modesty.

There are piss poor arguments, then there is this

Every company in the world makes their product seem better than it already is, last i checked Sony's main office is located in Japan too and they claimed the PS2 could launch a nuclear missle.

WiiU will be slightly more powerful than 360, and you wont even see that extra power in its first year as mere ports and only a few titles that have had very little development time appear. Once they master the system and squeeze more out WiiU games will look better slightly better than current HD consoles, you can throw a party that Nintendo now has slightly better looking games than 2005-2006 HD consoles, ill come.

That same year the media is infested with news about PS4 and Xbox 3, and WiiU is forgotten about.

And the headlines will read "MS and Sony launch the worst campaign with the most expensive consoles in history." That would make me forget about the U for a bit.

Barring your crystal ball saying one thing and my crystal ball saying another thing, I am glad you can at least some truth from the article, and I acknowledge that the PS4 and Nextbox may be more powerful and may have better graphics but until then no guarantees are made.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 8/2/2011 6:37:25 AM
I'm sure they will have better graphics - my prediction is WiiU doing Crysis 2 on medium, and they'll pull High.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#7Fierce_Deity777Posted 8/2/2011 8:48:09 AM(edited)
darkjedilink posted...
I'm sure they will have better graphics - my prediction is WiiU doing Crysis 2 on medium, and they'll pull High.

Isn't NASA still trying to do this....?

Edit: wait, that was an april fool's joke IIRC.
---
This post authorized by Adam Malkovich.
#8NyyarkPosted 8/2/2011 9:44:13 AM
That was a pretty decent article. I think they're missing something on the eDRAM though. Not that I know what it is, just a gut feeling.

If I were to speculate about next gen, I'd peg Sony as not releasing a graphical beast for a console, as they had a weak console with huge success in the PS2, and a powerful console with little success in the PS3. I'm sure they're offering will atleast be on par with the Wii U, likey somewhat better as it will have time to let it put better parts in cheaper, but I don't think it'll blow the Wii U out of the water. I do think Microsoft will release a powerful console though, probably with kinect mark II built in. If they can get a great dev kit out, then they could become the platform of choice to dev on. I have trouble seeing the Wii U being the multiplat starting point, only because the controller will make the devs have to rework their UI's for the other machines.

It'll be interesting to see how much extra power they can squeeze out of those custom builds, because they can design them to work with just the Wii U architecture. I think hardware is in a different place than it was 6 years ago, and customizing for specific performance might be a more significant factor than it used to be.