Digital world to come

#1TottentanzPosted 7/31/2011 12:36:16 PM
http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16003

Mentioned in another article earlier, it seems that Iwata wants to talk about it some more. I cant say that I like the idea of paid DLC, but I do appreciate that Nintendo will most likely not use that service.

I also probably will not buy the digital version of any game unless they give a motivator of sorts; however, I can see the convenience and the cost savings for the company to do online sales of their games.
#2Yellowstone2012Posted 7/31/2011 4:38:33 PM
Hmm..

"Finally, Iwata spoke of a desired future where anyone who owns a Nintendo system will pay for digital content with no reservations, just as they do today with physical content from retailers. That doesn't mean you need to worry about the disappearance of packaged software - Nintendo's digital business will simply be another pillar alongside retail."

Does this mean something like XBOX 360's ability to download whole / full games? I hope so; no more pre-ordering games then having to go to the store to get and pay for them.

E3 2012 is going to be an exciting event.
---
The Oil Age:
1859 AD - 2059 AD. 48 Years Left of Oil.
#3El_DustinoPosted 7/31/2011 8:15:45 PM
Wow, having to actually go to the store to buy your game? How horrific.
---
Finally someone let me out of my cage!
Now, time for me means nothing cos' I'm counting no age.
#4ArcvalonsPosted 7/31/2011 8:18:33 PM
Finally! Needlessly to say, all my games wil be downloaded.

XD @ actually going to a shop to buy your games.
---
Arcvalons
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato. You're a dick. - Stally.
#5AwesomeMarioPosted 8/1/2011 7:57:50 AM
i would download most of the times except Nintendo games I wuld buy those Retail so i could have a collection of them even though Data storage is good but not that reliable
---
waiting for Wii U.
#6NeojianXPosted 8/1/2011 8:55:03 AM
"Digital world to come"

Only to my 8" Gingerbread Android Tablet with Android Market apps.

Killer Instinct! Hey full screen this way and an Handheld this way. So cool! Not to any game system or handheld I have. Keeping them off the network as per usual this gen.
I have enough VC games with a next gen system being posted about. Might get a Sony PSN type DL from the Wii store. : )
---
Cat Boogers are made of gnats, they're made of Gnats!! XD
#71stbasemanbeckPosted 8/1/2011 8:57:53 AM
I mean I can't stop people from doing what they want but I really wish people would not buy things digitally. Physical releases are forever, and always able to be acquired. Digital releases take this sort of control from the consumer. You can't go back and get something you missed, for example original Xbox DLC. Imo, and since I'm a consumer, it would be best to keep the little control I have as a consumer, rather than throw it away for stupid reasons like "convenience" and "it was on sale" (like games aren't dropping in price like stones this gen)
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
#8SolisPosted 8/1/2011 9:05:35 AM
I think it's obvious that the market conditions are changing quite drastically, especially in relation to online distribution content. Free To Play and "cash shop" style payment for titles has become an ever increasingly important business model for companies, as well as offering more options for how to buy games. The ballooning success of games such as League of Legends shows that there's a huge market out there that has basically been untapped. Even smartphone games have taken advantage of non-conventional income methods, Infinity Blade for example received over a third of its revenue simply through the sale of virtual currency in-game.

What would be best is if the console could offer an unrestricted method of content distribution and payment options. I do wonder just how open of a system it would have for patches and updates however, that's something that many other consoles have suffered from as most manufacturers require certification and signing before any content can be deployed.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#9ArcvalonsPosted 8/1/2011 10:50:13 AM
F2P games with DLC are also kind of inmune to piracy.
---
Arcvalons
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato. You're a dick. - Stally.
#10NeojianXPosted 8/1/2011 12:31:57 PM(edited)
Maybe you should try triple reverse Psychology to sell DLC and games. But don't cry if they get real use to games on hard drives and memory cards and become Pirates of those games. It's all a part of the risk involved with that kind of Gorilla marketing.

Gorilla Pirates! .... and NINJAs too! Damn! XD

Arcvalons
Posted 8/1/2011 6:50:13 AM
message detail

F2P games with DLC are also kind of immune to piracy.

Nothing is immune to piracy, not even you or your Network stores. However some games are accidentally giving away at Network stores. Thinking they are just a demo, but are actually the entire damn game for free at the network store. Undead Knights anyone? : )

What we actually want is Digimon World .... 6. : D
---
Cat Boogers are made of gnats, they're made of Gnats!! XD