Digital world to come

#21blunderminePosted 8/2/2011 11:35:42 AM
1stbasemanbeck posted...
I mean I can't stop people from doing what they want but I really wish people would not buy things digitally. Physical releases are forever, and always able to be acquired. Digital releases take this sort of control from the consumer. You can't go back and get something you missed, for example original Xbox DLC. Imo, and since I'm a consumer, it would be best to keep the little control I have as a consumer, rather than throw it away for stupid reasons like "convenience" and "it was on sale" (like games aren't dropping in price like stones this gen)

Something can be discontinued from production just as easily as it can be removed from an eshop. The fallout of availability is less immediate, but the end result is the same.
#22NeojianXPosted 8/2/2011 1:47:48 PM
shahed1987
Posted 8/2/2011 5:31:52 AM
message detail

1stbasemanbeck posted...
NeojianX posted...
Because buying it digitally will mean i'll have a copy for life.

I never posted that. I'm anti DLC and games for the most part. I might DL some VC games I missed on and can't buy a hard copy of, but that is about it for the most part. Ha ha ha ha! Wow! : )
---
Due to a particular 3 Stooges episode, I would never give my cash to a dude named Madeoff. Oh noooo! XD
#23Tottentanz(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2011 3:22:08 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185726p1.html

Another article discussing the digital issue while also completely missing the point of what Iwata said. Also, the free-to-play model seems to work fine for games that deal with online content with other users running around with gear that could be purchased in a second for a few scheckles, but the major IP's of Nintendo does not seem to fit this market.

Iwata never dismissed the idea of demos, free dlc expansions, and digital downloads of games and what not. Also, with the ever expanding external HDD market, the U might just be the most versatile console to date for memory needs especially if you want to have a large library of downloaded games. The versatility of the memory options of the U will actually be a boon for this proposed market while also providing a controller that can pull off certain game types designed for touchscreen/tilt based controls.
#241stbasemanbeckPosted 8/2/2011 5:35:40 PM
Oh wow, my bad Neojian, I'm sorry, I'm terrible at the quoting on this site. I think I'm just going to stick to italics from now on because it's more my speed lol, this isn't the first time I messed up. Sorry bout that.

And yes it does mean for life unless PSN/Live get shut down.

Well that's not for life then. Already the original Xbox can't get DLC. We're talking about what..five, six years? That's a short lifespan lol.

In your flood scenario the physical copy will be lost and .need to be repurchased. With a digital copy, i'll just download it again at no cost.

Unless the server is no longer up. Which is my primary problem. Right now, that 'download it again' method works fine. Later, it won't.

They still have a backwards method of tying gamea to a system instead of an account. For example I bought Xenogears and the PS1 Final Fantasies of PSN. I only bought them once, yet they are on my PS3, PSP and my sister's PS3. In Nintendo's case i would have need to have bought it 3 seperate times

I agree that Nintendo's method is backwards and I am against it as well but the account method isn't flawless either. The main problem is still there: that servers go down and content gets lost, and that you're relying on a company to have the content available for you rather than knowing it is out there in the world for you to buy on eBay whenever you like.

First off, "Digital Rights Management." -- When you buy a game, you BUY the game, however with most digital media, you buy only a license

Bingo. Someone is going to run and correct you and note that the physical games only provide you a license to use them as well. However, in practice, that's not how it works...in practice, you 'own' them. To me, giving up that control is a terrible thing to do.

Something can be discontinued from production just as easily as it can be removed from an eshop. The fallout of availability is less immediate, but the end result is the same.

Not really. I can go to a retro game shop and buy that game used. I can buy it used off the internet. If it is only on the eshop, and I don't manage to buy it within the window of it being up, I'm out of luck. There is no "used e-shop".
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
#25shahed1987Posted 8/2/2011 8:04:58 PM
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not advocatibg digital only. I'm saying it's good to have in conjunction with physical media. I generally use it for older rare titles. Pretty much all new games are bought on disc.

Yes physical media has it's advantages. However i still feel more secure with a digital copy. I expect PSN/Live to stay running as long as Sony and MS offer online gaming, which in my mind means always. However even if the very unlikely chance of the servers going off, i still have the copies i've already downloaded. Using my previous example, as long as at least one of my PS3, PSP and my sister's PS3 exist, i will always have a copy that i can transfer to as many devices as I want.

And even if that fails, i can still go.back.to physical media if need be. The whole point is that you should use all the options available to you.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shahed1987&show=0&order=4
PSN Tag: Shahed1987
#26ArabrockermanXPosted 8/2/2011 9:21:10 PM

1stbasemanbeck posted...
I mean I can't stop people from doing what they want but I really wish people would not buy things digitally. Physical releases are forever, and always able to be acquired. Digital releases take this sort of control from the consumer. You can't go back and get something you missed, for example original Xbox DLC. Imo, and since I'm a consumer, it would be best to keep the little control I have as a consumer, rather than throw it away for stupid reasons like "convenience" and "it was on sale" (like games aren't dropping in price like stones this gen)
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..

I agree but companies are probably moving in this direction to stop used game sells. Once it becomes acceptable to sell only digital games say goodbye to hard copies =(