It would be nice if Sony or MS posed a real threat to Nintendo

#1psychoboo13Posted 8/1/2011 3:35:27 PM
Say what you will, but the Wii has sold much more than the PS3 or 360. While this may be great for Nintendo, what would be even better for them would be if, say, the 360 was only a few million units behind the Wii.

If one were to look at the 16-bit wars now, they would see (mostly) good things. Both companies, especially Nintendo, were on their A-game, since the race was so close. The lack of serious competition like this has left Nintendo lackadasical.

Without a doubt, the Wii had many great games. But I think that it would greatly benefit Nintendo if they had more competition.
---
im only provencial because i got in trouble for posting topless picture because i guess i look like a lady? but im not -LobsterJelly
#2darkjedilinkPosted 8/1/2011 3:37:26 PM
It would benefit everyone, especially us gamers.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#3ImGanondorfLolPosted 8/1/2011 3:50:55 PM
This is true. But I thought Nintendo was already starting to change their game again since the Wii is dying.
#4OverlordAlikPosted 8/1/2011 3:52:02 PM
I'm a gamer and I benefitted a great deal from my Wii, lots of awesome games. of course I dont buy a game every month like some people seem too sooooo /shrug
---
Brawl FC: 4382-1634-7585
#5Shinobi120Posted 8/1/2011 4:07:38 PM(edited)
psychoboo13 posted...
Say what you will, but the Wii has sold much more than the PS3 or 360. While this may be great for Nintendo, what would be even better for them would be if, say, the 360 was only a few million units behind the Wii.

If one were to look at the 16-bit wars now, they would see (mostly) good things. Both companies, especially Nintendo, were on their A-game, since the race was so close. The lack of serious competition like this has left Nintendo lackadasical.

Without a doubt, the Wii had many great games. But I think that it would greatly benefit Nintendo if they had more competition.

I agree. Back in the SNES & Genesis war, the Genesis was kicking the SNES's ass during the first few years of the SNES's lifespan. This in turn, forced Nintendo to be more competitive & to work harder instead of them being lazy. Nintendo managed to win that war only because of Sega's screw-ups, such as with the constant add-ons like Sega CD & the Sega 32X, & because of bad decision making.

I'm quite positive that the same thing will happen next gen & that there's going to be much greater competition for Nintendo next gen with the Wii U, as well as with MS's & Sony's next gen PS & Xbox consoles.
#6Nintendo_ClerkPosted 8/1/2011 4:13:59 PM
Right, Nintendo didn't win the war against Sega because of some of the greatest games ever made being released on the SNES. Sega did screw up, but to this day SNES is considered one of the best, if not the ebst console of all time.
---
I met Dan Aykroyd.
#7Prince ShondronaiPosted 8/1/2011 4:16:41 PM
Sony and Microsoft do pose a real threat to Nintendo. They're just lurking in the shadows, waiting for moments of weakness. E3 next year is a big potential one, where we should learn the WU's price and launch titles.
#8PhantomSwordPosted 8/1/2011 4:19:04 PM
The SNES had a lot of games that people considered the best of their series.

Super Metroid, Kirby Super Star, Super Mario RPG... and others I don't remember right now. Oh, A Link to the Past, too.

I'm gonna say that GBA was probably better, but we're talking about consoles.
---
My favorite part of the day is when she dance in the mirror.
#9Shinobi120Posted 8/1/2011 4:21:44 PM
Nintendo_Clerk posted...
Right, Nintendo didn't win the war against Sega because of some of the greatest games ever made being released on the SNES. Sega did screw up, but to this day SNES is considered one of the best, if not the best console of all time.

I consider both Genesis & SNES to be terrific consoles.
#10Eplo OniPosted 8/1/2011 4:33:10 PM
This does not work like in the old days because there are too many systems aiming for the same groups. You clearly had your console, PC, and portable games with only a couple companies in the mix. Now we have consoles and PCs fighting for the same group in a lot of genres; with the Wii doing its own thing it left 3 groups fighting for the "core" gamers. When a field starts becoming over populated it is a good idea at times to focus on a different group or product all together if you're not seen as the king of it.

Now that Nintendo is looking for the "core" gamers again they are going to have Sony and MS being threats again, and the fact that both of those companies among many others are aiming for the casuals that Nintendo focused on. What would benefit every one would be if all consoles focused on different genres with a few overlaps. Say something along the lines of Sony focusing on RPGs, Nintendo doing platform games, and MS doing FPS. Not saying that none of the companies could produce other games but that would be their main game focus.
---
360 GT: Retsej999
Only an idiot would lecture a fool. Use the past for a better future.