Wii U VS PS3... let's be realistic here.

#1RelevenPosted 8/17/2011 3:00:22 AM
First, I want Wii U to win. I like Nintendo and what they stand for. I really want them to come out on top.

That being said I also own a PS3 and a PSP. I don't want to... but its hard to be a Nintendo only gamer lately, considering Wii is almost dead and I've finished all the games I wanted on 3DS (6 of them) and there won't be more for a while.

Today, PS3 announced the price drop to $250, marking the first time (for me at least) PS3 was actually at a reasonable price (even if I bought it before then). Wii U, however, cannot be lower than $250. TV controllers and HD, it seems like there's no way unless they really want to go into the red.

So, other than that, you have Nintendo brand games, then you have 3rd party. While it was announced that there is ALOT of 3rd party games, I'm not seeing any. And exclusives, especially in this day in age seem pretty hopeless so...

What's the point of buying a Wii U if PS3 is as cheap or cheaper, and has a 5 year line up of games already at it's disposal... and plays blu-ray too? It doesn't seem like anyone outside of the fans would want to take that jump when they can get PS3 anyway.

I would LOVE for someone with brilliant logic on this one to proove me wrong, because in this case, I want Nintendo to win. I just don't see how. 3DS, yes. Wii U... probably not.
#2JackalPosted 8/17/2011 4:23:47 AM
I asked something similar to this in another topic about the Wii U's price. The price drop happened yesterday for the 160gb model. The console has a lot of great games, free online (depending on the game), blu ray, wifi, various services, etc. And then it may have some of those multiplayer games before the Wii U even launches and the console will most likely be cheaper than the Wii U. And not only that, there is already a version of the 360 that is $199. So no there is a chance of the Wii U being the most expensive console on the market when it launches next year. While that won't matter to some of us, "us" doesn't make up everyone that could be a potential buyer.

So not we have to see how Nintendo handles this. They have to give us some info soon. Real specs. Price point. Launch dates. Games. Something. So I guess they will have to really shine at the TGS. With the holiday season coming up the PS3's lowest model could still get another price drop. If not then, then at next years E3.
---
PSN: Jackal-5
EVE Online: Jonak
#3Enigma149Posted 8/17/2011 4:33:04 AM
That being said I also own a PS3 and a PSP. I don't want to... but its hard to be a Nintendo only gamer lately, considering Wii is almost dead and I've finished all the games I wanted on 3DS (6 of them) and there won't be more for a while.
If you already own a PS3 and a PSP, then you have access to a fine library of games, right now. And if you don't like anything coming out on the 3DS, then don't buy anything there, either.

Today, PS3 announced the price drop to $250, marking the first time (for me at least) PS3 was actually at a reasonable price (even if I bought it before then). Wii U, however, cannot be lower than $250. TV controllers and HD, it seems like there's no way unless they really want to go into the red.
True - at launch, $250 is extremely unreasonable. But given that the PS3's been out for 5 years, and the WiiU for -1, it's fair to assume there'd be a price difference. But technology is cheaper now than it was in 2006, and Nintendo has shown with the 3DS they're willing to play the sell-at-a-loss-game, so I'd be surprised if the WiiU went for anything over $350.

So, other than that, you have Nintendo brand games, then you have 3rd party. While it was announced that there is ALOT of 3rd party games, I'm not seeing any. And exclusives, especially in this day in age seem pretty hopeless so...
Nintendo has far more popular 1st party support than Sony (which has little) and Microsoft (which has Halo and a few others), and many people will buy the system just for that. Given that most 3rd party games coming out around the time of the WiiU haven't been announced, there's good reason for that (most of the ones that are will be 6+ months behind their PS3/360 counterparts). Just wait...in 6 months to a year, the WiiU will have plenty of 3rd party games coming to it.

What's the point of buying a Wii U if PS3 is as cheap or cheaper, and has a 5 year line up of games already at it's disposal... and plays blu-ray too? It doesn't seem like anyone outside of the fans would want to take that jump when they can get PS3 anyway.
The PS3 is likely to be in the early stages of its death when the WiiU comes out - no major console can survive for that long, and the *new* game library will dry up rather quickly. Likely, the PS4 will be announced around the time of the WiiU release. The graphical difference will be a lot less, as will the game library. So the WiiU has little to worry about, at least from this generation's consoles.
#4darkjedilinkPosted 8/17/2011 4:37:44 AM
What do you mean "no third-party titles?"

Ubisoft has announced three Nintendo exclusives - Killer Freaks from Outer Space, Ghost Recon Online (also available on PC, but it's a console exclusive on WiiU) and WiiU's own Assassin's Creed title.

Vigil is launching Darksiders 2 for WiiU.

EA has no announced titles that I know of, but they're heavily invested in WiiU.

Rocksteady is bringing Arkham City.

That's all off the top of my head. With the exception of Assassin's Creed, those are all launch titles.
---
Darkjedilink has what most would consider the Triforcelightning.
-Nintendojitsu
#5JackalPosted 8/17/2011 4:44:04 AM
Arkham City WILL NOT be a Wii U launch title. The game is coming out this fall.

As for other game, I'm waiting for more solid info from developers. And even then, I'll still wait because things can change overnight. Remember when Monster Hunter 3 was announced for the PS3? Did it ever make it? I don't get too excited just because a games been announced. I almost wait until it's on the shelves before I get excited.
---
#6Enigma149Posted 8/17/2011 4:50:06 AM
And even if the WiiU does fail, the worst it would be like is the GameCube, and that was followed up by the Wii. Domination in the market never lasts very long for one company.
#7Enigma149Posted 8/17/2011 4:51:40 AM
Actually, it was announced to be a WiiU launch title, even if it is coming out a year late for that system.
#8Lord_of_BeefDipPosted 8/17/2011 4:54:02 AM

Not to point out any flaws with that statement but...even still, the game is still being made for the Wii U, and as such that version can't be released before the console is out, but if the Wii U port is released the same day as the Wii U launches, would that not make it a launch title?
---
"What is this world coming to?" - Chris_Speed_
"Six year old girls, apparently." - GrowIithe
#9JackalPosted 8/17/2011 4:56:27 AM
I think that's where a lot of you guys miss the point. Why care about domination and who "wins" the war of consoles? I just try to enjoy what I like for each. There is no console war for me. I don't make money selling games or consoles, I spend money on them. As long as I get some good stuff to play and enjoy it then I've won. Console and game creators come and go, I just enjoy what i can while they are here.

I fell into that way of thinking before and missed out on the Saturn because of it. Never again.
---
#10JackalPosted 8/17/2011 4:59:15 AM
kitty23 posted...

Not to point out any flaws with that statement but...even still, the game is still being made for the Wii U, and as such that version can't be released before the console is out, but if the Wii U port is released the same day as the Wii U launches, would that not make it a launch title?

Well, yeah, When you look at it that way then it is a launch title for the Wii U. My fault.
---